Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Hammock Strap Advice

Hey,

So i'll keep this simple, I own an outfitters business and i'm looking to add a hammock strap to my product line. It looks like ill be going with a simple vinyl strap similar to the Atlas strap. But i'm looking for any way to differentiate myself from the masses.

Is there anything you wish would be improved? Is there a certain color that tends to be more popular? A certain type of hook you would prefer? Or is there anything that you would like to be included with your straps upon purchasing them?

So far after asking around i'm leaning towards going with a brown color as to blend in with the environment, as well as a strong carabiner hook with a twist lock and i have gotten suggestions to add a ridgeline to be combined with my product. Any suggestions would be of tremendous help!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    Brown may be a good color but I sure like my bright yellow straps from harbor freight for the kids hammocks. Makes sure I don't forget them.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    You'll definitely want to make sure your straps are made of polyester so they don't stretch. I don't think a locking carabiner in the suspension does anything for safety. I would just use a wire gate carabiner if I wanted a carabiner to be a part of the system.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC - DL
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbcrocks View Post
    You'll definitely want to make sure your straps are made of polyester so they don't stretch. I don't think a locking carabiner in the suspension does anything for safety. I would just use a wire gate carabiner if I wanted a carabiner to be a part of the system.
    Agreed.
    On both points.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As one who has left $20 worth of hardware on a couple of trees and Pirate's Cove (long ago - not there now; don't plan an expedition), I'd go for visibility. I know it is so temping to make the straps blend in. These days, if there is someone with me, I task them with the responsibility of making sure I take down all the gear I put up. There is an improvement on the XL Atlas straps that could be made. I thought the XL would be longer but have loops sown on the longer section so they are the same distance from the "wrap" end as the regular Atlas straps - but they are not. There is a longer "wrap" length before the biner loops start. That doesn't matter if its a big tree. Problem is, if you end up hanging on a normal to small diameter tree, the connection loops start pretty far down the wrap length (if you follow me). Now you can make more wraps around the tree, but that makes it difficult to adjust the height on the tree when setting up. Or you could wrap with the end that has the loops, but you may loose to much "adjustment length".

So if you make a suspension strap like an XL Atlas Strap but with more loops, you will have a different product than whats out there. But if you are making this as a new product for mass consumption, make sure your liability insurance is in order.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Vinyl straps? I've never heard of them. Experienced hangers use polyester.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Stay away from the Atlas style straps unless you want to be named in the law suits. They are a poor design and would take a lot of maintenance (inspection time). I would go with the dutch buckle, strap and sewn in dutch clip. It would be hard to loose any part as you do not have to pull the strap out of the buckle and the dutch clip is sewn in the strap. Also, they do not stretch like the Atlas does.

Don't see whats wrong with the atlas straps. I have used mine with no issues.

Thanks a lot everyone you guys are helping me tremendously. I am going with a vinyl strap and it looks like ill be thinking a little more about the color after your recommendations.

How do you guys feel about adding the ridgeline? Do you agree that it would be a nice combo deal?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm still not following the vinyl strap - I've never heard of vinyl straps for hammocks. What is the width and weight bearing capacity? Do you have an example? I can't imagine there are any vinyl straps on the market that will compete with polyester on weight, strength or price.

Why are you dead set on vinyl?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast