Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    As a Floridian, my solution is to never hang in State Parks (the rule applies only there). The reason however, is not because there was a total ban on hammocks until recently, or that they now require 2" straps for both hammock & tarp. It's because I go into the woods to get away from the crazy yahoos in the city. Those same yahoos can be found in State Parks watching TV running off their generators and randomly shooting in the wee hours after consuming copious amounts of adult beverages.
    So true. Had to yell at some people one time about 1:00 a.m. They had turned their campsite into party central. Had my kids, who were 5 and 6 years old at the time, trying to sleep. The only reason i camp at state parks was to introduce my kids to camping. It payed off, my daughter is a girl scout and my son is a boy scout and they bith love camping with their troop.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird, Hybird DH
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It states the 2" rule on most of the state parks websites. Ive noticed that people still don't follow the rule, and are still uneducated about hanging in general. Through out three different state parks this last week only one other person hanging with the 2" straps. A couple with 1" and most others with just rope. The park rangers didn't even seem to notice or try to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    I usually camp in the Florida, and I'm hearing there is a new state park ruling requiring 2 inch straps on trees for both Hammocks and Tarp suspension. Can anyone verify this, and if so would heading to Pull-A-Part and grabbing some seatbelts to use as straps be a workable idea?

save your time and effort by picking up a 20 foot boat winch strap at walmart for about 10 bucks.

Sinkhanger was allowed to make multiple wraps with his one inch straps at Torreya a few months ago but I wouldn't bank on it now.

creek.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    reflective foam
    Suspension
    Straps
    Back in December of 2013 I was in contact with the manager of the state forest area just below Ocala. I can't remember his name right now, but I believe I still have his contact info, email/cell phone in my Outlook at home.

They get directives long before the general public and he explained to me that with parks, the head ranger has the "option" of allowing a certain percentage of their sites to be hammock friendly. They have to denote this, so that means they have to do a certain amount of work up front to make this happen and its way down on the priority list. You can't hang unless these sites are determined.

It's different with the state forests. Obviously its whatever you want to do in the wilderness areas. Most of the parks in the state forest areas want to accommodate hangers. They are usually never up to capacity and they don't get the same funding that the state parks get so they want the business. However, this is double edged sword for them. The first wave of hangers years ago came in and put nails and notches in the trees causing considerable damage and they won't stand for that. The park that I was inquiring about had 2 sites set up specifically for hangers although they told me if my equipment was what I had explained to them, I would be able to hang in any site that had 2 trees close enough for that purpose. They were in the process of looking into the post in the ground thing and asked me for specs on this. I sent them info from Hansen's and this site. I never did get to go because my company sent me out to California for a time and just never had the opportunity to get back with them.

The point is, some of these places across the state do want to work with hangers. They want our business but also want to assure the health of the tress. It doesn't take much to doom a tree down here, so if we want to hang in Florida, we will need to be private stewards of the resources.

He did mention the 2" deal and I told him that I have 1" straps, but use and old cut up bicycle inner tube to put my strap in. He was fine with that.

this is a little off the beaten path but if we have any arborist or well studied reading I am wondering what effect hanging a hammock one time with just amsteel would have on a tree??

when I got my whoopee hooks I couldn't wait to get them rigged and try them out, I went around a red maple with dog bones hooked to that with a whoopee hook on the whoopee sling and then the other whoopee hook to my hammock. after taking everything down I couldn't see where it hurt the tree at all. I also tried the same set up with a pine on one end and a gum tree on the other and once again saw no damage to either tree.

I am not suggesting doing this where other hangers may follow or anywhere else for that matter but in areas where it is highly unlikely that another will hang behind you I don't see what it would hurt unless it was a really thin barked tree like a birch or poplar.

the maples I hung on are in my back yard, the pine and gum were in a remote back water not ideal for camping, there was no sign anyone had ever camped there and it is not the kind of place most people would select for a camp which is exactly why I camped there.

I do have my whoopies set up with a dutch hook on each end.

creek

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by old creek View Post
    Sinkhanger was allowed to make multiple wraps with his one inch straps at Torreya a few months ago but I wouldn't bank on it now.
    Are they now allowing hammocks in the primitive sites at Torreya? When I was last there (a year ago?) The ranger (nice guy, btw) insisted the primitive areas were "tent only". I mean strictly to that. No bivies, no cowboy camping and definitely no hammocks.

I love camping up on the bluffs overlooking the river and would love to hang a hammock there.

Side note: I once took an inflatable raft, inflated it right outside of the Gregory House and took the trail down close to the river, bushwacked the final 100 feet to the water line and rafted down to where the bluffs meet the river and hiked back to get the car. While inflating the rafts the ranger asked what we were doing and we told him we told him the truth. He said, "Well, be safe." and let us proceed on. I was certain he'd disapprove of our idea, but nope.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    am wondering what effect hanging a hammock one time with just amsteel would have on a tree??
    For many trees it would not be that bad. However we are facing the perception that ropes will cause more damage to the trees and straps will cause less so use straps to keep on the park rangers good side.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Mark, they allowed it and even worked with sinkhanger when he discovered the 2 inch strap rule which he was unable to comply with by allowing him to take multiple wraps with his one inch straps. my wife works with Fl state parks from time to time and she is told the number of email and phone requests is behind it.

Gunner, I agree, I would never do that in a park or other frequented area but am considering it as an option in my normal routine in the boonies. I very seldom, maybe five times in the last 30 years camp in a campground. myself and my friend I camp with always camp in places others wouldn't like to camp in, partly for the solitude and partly for the security.

creek.
    Semper Fi
    2cd MAW

Side note: I once took an inflatable raft, inflated it right outside of the Gregory House and took the trail down close to the river, bushwacked the final 100 feet to the water line and rafted down to where the bluffs meet the river and hiked back to get the car. While inflating the rafts the ranger asked what we were doing and we told him we told him the truth. He said, "Well, be safe." and let us proceed on. I was certain he'd disapprove of our idea, but nope.

Mark that must have been quite a climb !!! I was there because I thought it would be a good way to get my grandson out of the river swamps where we usually camp so he could see some elevation change for a change but once I got there I really liked it except for sharing it so closely with a bunch of yahoos dragging coolers and coleman stoves, guitars and loads of gear they probably didn't realize they were going to drag up and down those hills. Torreya aint the Carolina's but it is far from flat. we climbed one that was probably a 70* grade and 100- 120 foot high, that's some climbing for a old flat lander, yes'siree.

Hammock
    Wbbb XLC dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Kaq UQ / UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Having to use 2" wide tree straps to hang your hammock in a Florida State Park is better than not being allowed to hang at all. Some folks on the forum put a lot work into getting the Florida State parks to allow hammock at all.

Check these threads
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...da+state+parks
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...da+state+parks

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123