Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    With Amsteel on Amsteel, I think you might want to keep a close eye on both the lead and the CL. The radii of those bends in the lines are pretty tight and I think you're probably going to see some individual fibers failing. Over time, it could be an issue. Can't speak to the effect of the pinching/crushing (some say "compression") of the lines.

This may work great, but the life of the Amsteel is almost certainly going to be shortened.

I always struggle with what to call a line/rope connected to a CL. It's not as if the CL has a working end so it's tough to call it a bend. But then it's a section of line and it's not rigid, so it's equally tough to call it a hitch. Maybe it's a "hend", cuz I sure don't want to go the other way with this..

I guess it's just a knot!
    The life of the Amsteel will probably be shortened compared to a whoopie sling. But "tight" bends, I believe, are considered less than or equal 1 diameter. Most of this knot would be >1 dia. And most the wear is on the continuous loop. I have been using the same 7/64 and 2mm loops through a lot of failed attempts and for camping this summer. They are still going. The fails were the worst for it because it slips and tries to grab and causes a lot of sawing and cutting.Once I settle on a method I will need to replace the loops and start fresh to get a good idea of the wear. Even so, If I have to replace about 16in of dynaglide every year on my rig or the same amount of Amsteel every 2 years I can live with it.

A continuous loop is a strange thing is it rope or hardware or both?. Hitch or bend? I dunno. I just figured its joining rope and Siberian hitch is already taken, and we are technically joining ropes. I could add an "O" to represent the continuous loop and call it SOB. Then I could hang my A.S.S. chair with an SOB knot.

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    The life of the Amsteel will probably be shortened compared to a whoopie sling. ...... Even so, If I have to replace about 16in of dynaglide every year on my rig or the same amount of Amsteel every 2 years I can live with it.
    I agree, no big deal to replace a few feet of line. Just something to keep an eye on. Do you think 1/8" CLs would be worth doing? Hardly any extra weight.

Thinking about the hitch/bend thing and Dutch's setback with the Speed Hook. Wondering if your bend would work as a hitch on that device or the somewhat similar Hammock Anchor from Hammock Fan (?) Don't know if hardware would be easier on the lead than a CL or vice-versa. I'd guess it would be easier on the CL. Might be quicker/easier, maybe not. Some would reject putting any hardware into the mix but it might be worth exploring to see if it provides any benefit.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Thinking about the hitch/bend thing and Dutch's setback with the Speed Hook. Wondering if your bend would work as a hitch on that device or the somewhat similar Hammock Anchor from Hammock Fan (?) Don't know if hardware would be easier on the lead than a CL or vice-versa. I'd guess it would be easier on the CL. Might be quicker/easier, maybe not. Some would reject putting any hardware into the mix but it might be worth exploring to see if it provides any benefit.
    The wear on those seems to be coming from the titanium-amsteel contact. For some reason the anchors are actually showing much less wear on the amsteel than the speed hooks and I have retired the speed hooks after about 10 nights of use, because there are so many frayed or torn strands. I have about 15 nights on the anchors and they don't have half as much wear as the speed hooks did.

Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    The wear on those seems to be coming from the titanium-amsteel contact. For some reason the anchors are actually showing much less wear on the amsteel than the speed hooks and I have retired the speed hooks after about 10 nights of use, because there are so many frayed or torn strands. I have about 15 nights on the anchors and they don't have half as much wear as the speed hooks did.
    Interesting. I remember reading somewhere here that the wear with the SH might well be from the friction as things tighten up. If the same hitch is used on each, then there must be something different about either the edges or the proportions. At least that would be my guess.

Don't want to hijack this thread TOO much...

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    The life of the Amsteel will probably be shortened compared to a whoopie sling. But "tight" bends, I believe, are considered less than or equal 1 diameter. Most of this knot would be >1 dia. And most the wear is on the continuous loop. I have been using the same 7/64 and 2mm loops through a lot of failed attempts and for camping this summer. They are still going. The fails were the worst for it because it slips and tries to grab and causes a lot of sawing and cutting.Once I settle on a method I will need to replace the loops and start fresh to get a good idea of the wear. Even so, If I have to replace about 16in of dynaglide every year on my rig or the same amount of Amsteel every 2 years I can live with it.

A continuous loop is a strange thing is it rope or hardware or both?. Hitch or bend? I dunno. I just figured its joining rope and Siberian hitch is already taken, and we are technically joining ropes. I could add an "O" to represent the continuous loop and call it SOB. Then I could hang my A.S.S. chair with an SOB knot.
    I like the SOB Knot idea.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    My next question as I am about to head out the door to work and I don't have time to try myself: will it hold with dynagline instead of amsteel?
    I had a little time before heading into work tonight and tried this. the answer is no, it will not work with Dynaglide. The knot slips and it jams itself as it does it. It was hard to jerk the knot clear after the failure but I did eventually get it without the use of a marlin spike.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Unfortunately, in my fiddling, I haven't found any solution that works with Dynaglide. Since Dynaglide weighs half of what 7/64" Amsteel weighs, a double line Whoopie of Dynaglide weighs the same as a single line of Amsteel. Personally, I love the ease of micro adjusting the whoopie.

I tried Dynaglide UCR but didn't have the confidence in it (after a few rides to the ground) and didn't like having to secure the tail.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors

Becket Hitch Suspension; Idea and Questions

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Unfortunately, in my fiddling, I haven't found any solution that works with Dynaglide. Since Dynaglide weighs half of what 7/64" Amsteel weighs, a double line Whoopie of Dynaglide weighs the same as a single line of Amsteel. Personally, I love the ease of micro adjusting the whoopie.

I tried Dynaglide UCR but didn't have the confidence in it (after a few rides to the ground) and didn't like having to secure the tail.
    I had a little time before heading into work tonight and tried this. the answer is no, it will not work with Dynaglide. The knot slips and it jams itself as it does it. It was hard to jerk the knot clear after the failure but I did eventually get it without the use of a marlin spike.

Did you try the crocks bend with the dynaglide?

Becket Hitch Suspension; Idea and Questions

I was out in the woods this morning cleaning up dead trees and weed eating around our fire circle. I intended this to be a more in depth video with a close up of how to tie the knot. Then I lost my camera man and was almost out of time. Then I mis-stated the weight as 1.1oz when it is 1.3oz.

http://youtu.be/Y9l6sru5Rbk

I mentioned the marlin spike talking about how to untie if you tied close to the end of your tail and couldn't grip enough line. The only reason I thought of it was because I used it before to untie jammed knots coming up with the SOB.

My last knot suspension seemed to work well with dynaglide but it utilized a descender ring. The ring weighed more than the weight savings going to DG. If you could use something like this thimble: http://www.apsltd.com/running-rigging and find a light enough version maybe it would be worth it?
    Last edited by mophead; 07-28-2015 at 17:44.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbcrocks View Post
    Did you try the crocks bend with the dynaglide?
    Yes I did, no luck there either. Dynaglide doesn't seem to hold a bend like this very well. I don't know if it is the material, a coating, the small diameter, or a combination of all factors.
    NO SNIVELING!

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast