DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket

Becket Hitch Suspension; Idea and Questions

I recently read about using a Becket Hitch in hammock suspension and would like to play with the idea. I've looked around a bit, but most of what I'm stumbling upon is people using a becket hitch with webbing, Kevlar webbing, and mule tape not so much Amsteel lead on Amsteel loop. I plan on giving it a go this weekend, but thought it prudent to seek the wealth of knowledge available here too.

I'm thinking 4-5 ft. Hugger, Single 6' Amsteel lead with spliced eye and back spliced end

I figure tying the hitch to the continuous loop could even be done slippery and backed up with a "toggle" in the form of the bundled excess Amsteel keeping it secure and easy to release even after loading.

My questions are has anybody tried a system like the one in the crude MS Paint picture I attached (an artist I am not), and does anyone see any potential problems with the system?

Thanks Y'all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon rain fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I believe the feedback you are going to get on this will be that amsteel is slippery and does not hold knots well. If you try it and don't end up on the ground I say rock it out. I recently acquired some mule tape and have been testing using the becket hitch to my continuous loops and like the simplicity of it. If you try doing it with amsteel make sure to post the result. Just hang low so the fall won't hurt as much if it fails.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You're better at MS Paint than I am
    I tried it with Kevlar strap and Dynaglide and couldn't get it to hold.
    The only disadvantage of the setup you propose is that you lose the ability to adjust the suspension right up to the tree. Of course, you could put a Marlin spike in the strap near the tree and hook your sliced eye in the amsteel lead to the spike. The spliced eye needs to be big enough to slip over the spike.
    Last edited by MAD777; 06-24-2015 at 05:09.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Since you're backing it up with a toggle anyway, why not use the Marlin Spike Hitch?
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    Since you're backing it up with a toggle anyway, why not use the Marlin Spike Hitch?
    The MSH doesn't work very well in amsteel in my experience because where the amsteel folds over itself on the back of the toggle creates a point where the amsteel is being pinched between the toggle and the amsteel under your weight. Sort of the same thing the two ring garda hitch did. He could use straps for the entire length but at a weight penalty.

I will second what has been said before that the amsteel is too slippery to hold reliably, even with a toggle to jam the bite. Also the becket hitch with amsteel-to-amsteel compresses the amsteel CL a lot. I think with rare exceptions amsteel-to-amsteel is a bad idea. That's why i am using exactly what you illustrated but with continuous loop made from thin 1/2" webbing on the hammock ends instead. Derek hansen also did a video demonstrating it with a CL made from thicker, harder cordage but I found it slipped for me as well. Although, he said he said it worked for him, so maybe its a user weight issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The only disadvantage of the setup you propose is that you lose the ability to adjust the suspension right up to the tree. Of course, you could put a Marlin spike in the strap near the tree and hook your sliced eye in the amsteel lead to the spike. The spliced eye needs to be big enough to slip over the spike.
    Its a real shame the dynaglide didn't work out for this. I have been tying the knot in the strap, though, right up to the tree when necessary without any issues. Only tricky part is if you wanted to attach where the strap and amsteel are joined.
    Last edited by mophead; 06-24-2015 at 09:35.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    I'm curious how this works out for you, Tyler! I've been playing around with Becket hitches and quick hitches a lot lately too (check out this thread and this one too for some good info). I have been using a small aluminum toggle because the Amsteel will slip the quick-release bight but it doesn't put a ton of pressure on the toggle. I've also started coiling up the excess Amsteel and using the little bundle as a toggle (see attached photo) which is pretty easy to pull a couple loops out and then pull the whole bundle out.
    IMG_20150613_205126.jpg
    Good luck, and keep us posted on your findings!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    It's a bummer to hear that you've tried it without success but I am grateful for the opportunity to learn from others. My one suspension failure so far led to a hole in my hammock upon landing so I had to replace the whole rig. Definitely not looking to do that again. My default size for splicing eyes into Amsteel is is sufficient for using toggles but if experience teaches that spectra line on spectra line is a no-go then the point is moot.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    It's a bummer to hear that you've tried it without success but I am grateful for the opportunity to learn from others. My one suspension failure so far led to a hole in my hammock upon landing so I had to replace the whole rig. Definitely not looking to do that again. My default size for splicing eyes into Amsteel is is sufficient for using toggles but if experience teaches that spectra line on spectra line is a no-go then the point is moot.
    Off topic from the original question, but you mentioned a backsplice in the Amsteel in your original post; have you done one of these before? Do you have a guide to follow? I've only seen the backsplice in a 3 strand rope but I really want to put them into my suspension.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    Richard, My plan was to use the line itself as a toggle, and to eliminate any extra, or seperate pieces from the system. Also, I never have trusted a loop around a MSH not to blow off and send my hammock sailing into the wind.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    MatthewMeredith, Funny because it was that picture and those posts that got me thinking this proposed system up and where I got the idea of using the line itself as a toggle.

I tired a rough go of the system as I proposed, where I connected one strap and lead to a tree, tied the knot to a continuous loop and pulled with my body weight as I leaned backwards. The knot stayed, and didn't slip at all though there really is a lot of compression on the Continuous loop which makes me nervous. I wonder though, is the compression any different or more degrading than the compression that happens when I connect a whoopie hook to the continuous loop on my hammock?

I have tickets to the Ranger game tonight, so I'll have to head to the park to give the system a further investigation and reports tomorrow. The trees in the yard are too far apart to hang from and my usual testing ground between porch support pillars is over concrete... not where I want to be in the event of failure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast