DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewMeredith View Post
    Off topic from the original question, but you mentioned a backsplice in the Amsteel in your original post; have you done one of these before? Do you have a guide to follow? I've only seen the backsplice in a 3 strand rope but I really want to put them into my suspension.

Thanks!
    Sorry I missed this. All I do for a backsplice in Amsteel is take the tapered end, and bury it back into the line to clean it up.

Go to 10:35 on this video, that's how I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtJGTgpv4dc

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Sorry I missed this. All I do for a backsplice in Amsteel is take the tapered end, and bury it back into the line to clean it up.

Go to 10:35 on this video, that's how I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtJGTgpv4dc
    Ahhh okay that doesn't look too bad, thanks for the link! This https://youtu.be/bRjqMKLS99A is more what I was looking for but I have absolutely no idea how to do that with 8 or 12 strand.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    Oh man... the number of ways I could find to mess that up! I'll add that to the list of reasons I like hollow braid line.

Cool to see though and useful no doubt, thanks for the exposure to something new.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Ahhh okay that doesn't look too bad, thanks for the link! This https://youtu.be/bRjqMKLS99A is more what I was looking for but I have absolutely no idea how to do that with 8 or 12 strand.
    Doesn't matter how many strands, just bury the tapered end back into itself. Tyler is right on point.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    Doesn't matter how many strands, just bury the tapered end back into itself. Tyler is right on point.
    If you watch the videos, you'll see that the method Tyler suggested and the video I posted are two completely different techniques. Yes, burying the end back onto itself will likely work fine, but I was looking for a way to braid it back on to itself like in the video I posted. Might not be possible though!

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Samson has splicing guides on thier website some of which include weaving multi-strand rope but for Amsteel Blue bury the taper is how it's done.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    It's unreasonable to think that a line with"glide" in its name will hold a simple knot.

But I've had good results with the Becket Hitch on my Dynaglide suspension with two turns around the back and jammed bite. Darrel Hanson showed us this knot at the last Texas hang.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    If you watch the videos, you'll see that the method Tyler suggested and the video I posted are two completely different techniques. Yes, burying the end back onto itself will likely work fine, but I was looking for a way to braid it back on to itself like in the video I posted. Might not be possible though!
    I'm sure it's totally possible, but why would you want to weave it? A backsplice looks neat and clean and takes about thirty seconds. If you weave it, make a video.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    It's unreasonable to think that a line with"glide" in its name will hold a simple knot.

But I've had good results with the Becket Hitch on my Dynaglide suspension with two turns around the back and jammed bite. Darrel Hanson showed us this knot at the last Texas hang.
    Like this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435182464.350211.jpg

We're you attaching dynaglide to amsteel loop?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    MatthewMeredith, Funny because it was that picture and those posts that got me thinking this proposed system up and where I got the idea of using the line itself as a toggle.

I tired a rough go of the system as I proposed, where I connected one strap and lead to a tree, tied the knot to a continuous loop and pulled with my body weight as I leaned backwards. The knot stayed, and didn't slip at all though there really is a lot of compression on the Continuous loop which makes me nervous. I wonder though, is the compression any different or more degrading than the compression that happens when I connect a whoopie hook to the continuous loop on my hammock?

I have tickets to the Ranger game tonight, so I'll have to head to the park to give the system a further investigation and reports tomorrow. The trees in the yard are too far apart to hang from and my usual testing ground between porch support pillars is over concrete... not where I want to be in the event of failure.
    I try to not do anything that deforms the line in a permanent way but I'm no Dyneema expert. I think of it like play doh that you roll out into a rope shape you could pick it up and move it and it would hold shape, but then if you took the play doh and pinched it flat in the middle then tried to pick it up again it would break in half. Its possible that as long as there were no frayed or severed fibers maybe the deformation is ok? Dunno.

Someone elsewhere recommended rotating the Amsteel loop so that it doesn't wear on the same position.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast