Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mountain wilderness gear 11 footer

This weekend my family and I traveled up the interstate to meet one of the forums newest cottage vendors. Last month I stumbled across him in another thread, and found out that he had some introductory pricing going on.

I ended up ordering an 11ft 1.6 hex d in olive yellow, a matching 1.1oz silpoly tarp to match and a fronkey style bug net. We set it up on a hike so that I could see it.

Initially I was really impressed with the setup, especially the tarp. Tonight I'm laying in it, thinking about what I'm wanting to say in this thread.

Let's start with the suspension. As I'd never worked with whoopie slings before I was a bit hesitant to order them. Now I'm glad I did. Charlie, the owner of MWG was able to show me a way of hanging with just tree straps, my whoopies and the biner he included. Super light weight setup.

like I said before I had my choice of fabrics so I went with 11ft of the 1.6z hyper d material in olive yellow. 11 feet.... is a bit excessive. Yea I've got a bit flatter lay, but I'm still up in the air about it. The width, well let's just say that 60" with side hems leaves me wishing for a few more inches. Diagonal laying leaves my heels and the top of my head right on the hems. Now this isn't the manufacturers fault, it's the width that the material comes in, I just wish it was a bit wider (ripstopbytheroll.com if your reading this, maybe this could be a future addition to the line up?)

Now the tarp. Let me tell you about this tarp. I ordered a 1.1oz silpoly in olive yellow to match the hammock. As bright as it is, I almost.....almost....Wished I'd have gone with the charcoal, but I'm still thrilled by it. I did not expect the tarp to have as many features as it does. It comes with 8 tie outs (4 on each side) and 2 wall extension tie outs on each side. And it has doors. Wait. Doors? Yea. It has doors. And that's the poop in my opinion. Probably my most favorite feature. I was totally not expecting that. At all. When you order the tarp, expect to source your own tent pegs. To date MWG isn't offering them. I ordered 8 light weight ones from dutch and 70 feet of tech line from diyhammockgear. Yea that's kind of a pain, and if I had known I needed the line, I'd have ordered it from MWG and had it delivered with the tarp. MWG also included a contrasting double ended stuff sack for the tarp

As I'm writing this I haven't seen the bugnet as there was a slight hick up that MWG is taking care of. Charlie was very up front about it and has promised to make good, so now I just have to wait a bit.

All in all, MWG'S stitching is on par with the other brands I have seen thus far. I haven't hit the ground. The transaction went very smoothly, and because I lived so close MWG'S want to show me how to rig everything was impressive. I have some friends in town that will receive my recommendation on Charlie's gear.

Last edited by arolfsen; 06-22-2015 at 18:40.

Couple of other notes:
    I ended up ordering 4 s biner and a set of 15ft tree straps from dutch to mate with the whoopies. MWG sells tree straps, but Charlie will admit his are a bit heavier than dutch's.

MWG weighed the total package at under, what was it charlie, 2.5lbs?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    MWG Monster Fly
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Custom UQ
    Suspension
    Continuous Loops
    That double-ended colored stuff sack was my idea! So glad he's doing that for others-- double-ended in blaze orange is the way to go. Thanks for being so receptive Charlie!

Senior Member mountainwilderness365's Avatar
    Hammock
    Mountain Wilderness Gear
    Tarp
    Monster Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    That double-ended colored stuff sack was my idea! So glad he's doing that for others-- double-ended in blaze orange is the way to go. Thanks for being so receptive Charlie!
    Lol well thanks for shooting me the idea, it will make alot of future customers happy.

Hammock
    Mountain Wilderness Gear
    Tarp
    Monster Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by arolfsen View Post
    This weekend my family and I traveled up the interstate to meet one of the forums newest cottage vendors. Last month I stumbled across him in another thread, and found out that he had some introductory pricing going on.

I ended up ordering an 11ft 1.6 hex d in olive yellow, a matching 1.1oz silpoly tarp to match and a fronkey style bug net. We set it up on a hike so that I could see it.

Initially I was really impressed with the setup, especially the tarp. Tonight I'm laying in it, thinking about what I'm wanting to say in this thread.

Let's start with the suspension. As I'd never worked with whoopie slings before I was a bit hesitant to order them. Now I'm glad I did. Charlie, the owner of MWG was able to show me a way of hanging with just tree straps, my whoopies and the biner he included. Super light weight setup.

like I said before I had my choice of fabrics so I went with 11ft of the 1.6z hyper d material in olive yellow. 11 feet.... is a bit excessive. Yea I've got a bit flatter lay, but I'm still up in the air about it. The width, well let's just say that 60" with side hems leaves me wishing for a few more inches. Diagonal laying leaves my heels and the top of my head right on the hems. Now this isn't the manufacturers fault, it's the width that the material comes in, I just wish it was a bit wider (ripstopbytheroll.com if your reading this, maybe this could be a future addition to the line up?)

Now the tarp. Let me tell you about this tarp. I ordered a 1.1oz silpoly in olive yellow to match the hammock. As bright as it is, I almost.....almost....Wished I'd have gone with the charcoal, but I'm still thrilled by it. I did not expect the tarp to have as many features as it does. It comes with 8 tie outs (4 on each side) and 2 wall extension tie outs on each side. And it has doors. Wait. Doors? Yea. It has doors. And that's the poop in my opinion. Probably my most favorite feature. I was totally not expecting that. At all. When you order the tarp, expect to source your own tent pegs. To date MWG isn't offering them. I ordered 8 light weight ones from dutch and 70 feet of tech line from diyhammockgear. Yea that's kind of a pain, and if I had known I needed the line, I'd have ordered it from MWG and had it delivered with the tarp. MWG also included a contrasting double ended stuff sack for the tarp

As I'm writing this I haven't seen the bugnet as there was a slight hick up that MWG is taking care of. Charlie was very up front about it and has promised to make good, so now I just have to wait a bit.

All in all, MWG'S stitching is on par with the other brands I have seen thus far. I haven't hit the ground. The transaction went very smoothly, and because I lived so close MWG'S want to show me how to rig everything was impressive. I have some friends in town that will receive my recommendation on Charlie's gear.

Glad your getting to enjoy the setup. RBTR will have a 72 inch fabric in stock soon and can help remedy the seam to seam problem in the future. I am eventually going to include glow wire for the tieouts and stakes as soon as I can work up a price with out breaking the bank for people or me lol. I like keeping the price affordable while being able to drink a starbucks from time to time lol.

Hammock
    Mountain Wilderness Gear
    Tarp
    Monster Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by arolfsen View Post
    Couple of other notes:
    I ended up ordering 4 s biner and a set of 15ft tree straps from dutch to mate with the whoopies. MWG sells tree straps, but Charlie will admit his are a bit heavier than dutch's.

MWG weighed the total package at under, what was it charlie, 2.5lbs?
    Rainfly packed weighed in at 1lb 4oz and hammock with whoopies and big Biners weighed little over 15oz for a 11ft

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    LOVE my rainfly he made for me. Im glad to see people trying out the "new guy". You will not find a better communicator than him. He is upfront with anything he thinks is an issue.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    ^^^That! Charlie is great to work with. I love my Monster. I'm digging the new stuff sack. Hey Charlie, have you though about adding underquilt protectors to the lineup?

Hammock
    WBBB xlc multicam
    Tarp
    MWG Storm Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+1
    Suspension
    Straps, buckles
    Just got my Storm Fly yesterday. Got it all fixed up with guy lines, crl, mountaingoat skins and it is a ver nice fly. Hopefully I can do a field test this weekend. Very good initial impression.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 20* T
    Suspension
    Straps
    Got my monster fly a few days ago looking forward to a field test.
    The wishbone will never replace the backbone- Will Henry

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast