Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

Wearable Underquilt Construction

So, this is my first real post here on hammock forums. This place rocks. I have learned an absurd amount by just lurking and reading other posts. I have made my own hammock, top quilt, and suspension based on the information here.

So what brings me out of the shadows? Well, I have a question about the under quilt I am making.

For a little background, it is going to be, approximately, 45" wide, 56" long (3/4 length). I am using orange Argon 90 from Dutch for the shell and liner, and the insulation is 3.6oz/sqyd Apex, also from Dutch.

My question is, how do I construct a head-hole in the middle of this under quilt so that I can wear it around like like a very stylish serape? I am thinking a simple, straight slit will be the easiest approach, and I did a mock up with Tyvek to make sure I would get the hole size large enough, buy not too large, and enough coverage out of the quilt without it being to long or annoying.

How do you make the head slit? How do I seal that slit while it is quilt mode so you don't get a slice of frozen butt? I have some ideas, but any insight from more experienced MYOG folk would be greatly appreciated.

You guys are the coolest.

-MattK

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    All my top quilts are wearable. Basically, I make two quilt halves and sew them together before stuffing them. Here's a link to a Karo step top quilt made, plus a couple of pictures from my gallery of a conventional top quilt I made. I sew in double sided velcro type tape, sometimes called Omni-tape. It has both the scratchy and the felt combined together. I've gotten it at both Jacks-R-Better and at Arrowhead Equipment.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-and-wearable)

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...earchid=225369

https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...earchid=225369
    Last edited by MAD777; 06-22-2015 at 13:25.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Look at the Hill People Gear Mountain Serape for one version of a "no hole" wearable quilt.

Click on the link about the Underwoobie below for my take on it as an underquilt/top quilt/insulated shelter/serape.

Check out this thread on BPL about the Jacks R Better wearable quilt (no longer on the JRB website)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=16897

and this one on HF:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...est-underquilt

Those should give you some ideas.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I like the idea of making two halves of the quilt than sewing together. That might be the most straight forward approach. It is also nice that the overlap of the two halves would create a draft-tube like effect.

My set up will look a little different though, since I am using Climashield Apex, which doesn't require in baffling, just edge stabilization.

I think I may use plastic snaps instead of the omni tape. Even though the omni isn't as scratchy as normal velcro hook, i still don't fancy having it rub on my neck very long.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    The vest underquilt is a cool post. He kinda worked the opposite of me though, from clothing -> UQ. It definitely sparked a couple ideas though.

I have also thought of doing something like the As Tucas Sestrals Poncho. A circle hole with a collar that can be cinched down. Seems like it would be more complex, but maybe more comfortable and functional than a simple slit design.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

Finished It!

Well, I finished up my UQ yesterday, complete with head opening so I can use it as camp insulation.

I ended up using a simple slit design. Basically, I cut slits in the shell and liner fabric of the under quilt. based on my head size, I needed a 14.5" finished opening, so I these initial slits were 16.5" long. I sewed the shell, liner, and insulation together along the perimeter (per DIY gear supply's instruction). Because of the slits in the middle, I was able to sew the entire perimeter together, and flip right side out through the slits. In theory I like this as it would add strength.

After right side out, I cut the insulation in line with the shell and liner. I then placed a bar tack at each end of the opening to prevent the slit from tearing. Then I used 1.5" grosgrain to the three layers together, on piece for each side of the slit. I then overlapped the bound edges and placed bar tacks 1" in from the end of the slit. This left the desired 14.5" finished opening. I then used squares of 1.5" grosgrain to cover the transition into the overlap and further reinforce the the ends of the slit. I attached these using a boxed x.

After that, I placed 5 plastic snaps along the overlapping sections to close it up. I also placed a small loop on each side of the slit so that the shock cord suspension can be clipped up out of the way while wearing it as a serape/poncho. I will probably add a better way of securing it around my waist at some point. The end draw cords work okay for that purpose, but don't provide that great of a seal.

I will post some photos later today when I get a chance. I may also start a new post so that others can find the information easier and have a good understanding of one way to make a head slit in a synthetic quilt.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

Some Pictures

Here are the pics!

Slit in shell and liner. You can see the CS Apex (white).
    IMAG1921.jpg

Bar tacks placed at end of slit and CS Apex cut.
    IMAG1924.jpg

Grosgrain binding along both edges of slit.
    IMAG1926.jpg

Grosgrain reinforcement patch at the end of the slit to cover up overlap and reinforce.
    IMAG1929.jpg

Measuring out locations for the snap closure.
    IMAG1932.jpg

Loops for clipping suspension out of the way.
    IMAG1936.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Looks great, Matt. Well done!

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Thanks! It was a fun project. My wife loves how stylish it is.....

Definitely made me think more than the top quilt I made. Now, to make the hammock, tarp, and bug net! Aiming to use my full DIY hammock set up for a camping trip in August.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    Thanks! It was a fun project. My wife loves how stylish it is.....

Definitely made me think more than the top quilt I made. Now, to make the hammock, tarp, and bug net! Aiming to use my full DIY hammock set up for a camping trip in August.
    Nice. Be sure to update with pictures of the whole set up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast