Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Find a farmer that needs a little help. Offer to do chores for hanging out in some trees in the pasture and using shower facilities.

Hang in the barn if the weather gets really nasty.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Provided you can stay warm and dry I'd say go for it. To many people are wrapped up in what is "normal"

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    I think it's a fantastic idea.. I've long been a fan of being as off the grid as possible. There's a lot of stuff I'd "like" to do, that I can't, because I have a child, and doing things like not having electricity is considered unlawful in the eyes of the normal people. I don't own a cell phone, because there is no service where I live.. I have the internet because I have a child, and because it's pretty much become a requirement for school. Half of my kid's homework is done via the internet. Currently, all phones and tablets, as well as main lighting in bedrooms are solar powered. Running off a 10 watt solar panel, 10,000 mAh battery, and using these for lights.

I'd need enough juice to run a freezer, and well pump. The eggs we produce don't need to be refrigerated, most of the fruits vegetables and mushrooms out of the gardens we produce are canned or dried for long term storage. The honey we'll soon be producing will never go bad. The only real reason I need the freezer is to store meats.. because I have no other system in place to preserve 200lbs of meat.

Given half a chance, I'd move further south, buy an acre and cover it from end to end in permaculture. Root cellars dug throughout, composting toilet in a small shed, with a solar hot water heater for a shower. Solar cells on the roof, and a battery bank to power the pump and the freezer. If these guy can produce 6,000lbs of food a year on 1/10 of an acre.. I'd love to try it larger scale.

Screw Normal. Buy yourself a small lot of land.. and live however you want.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Back in the 70s my girlfriend and I traveled the country while living in a Dodge van for over a year on very little money. I'd have to say it was one of the best years of my life. Go for it and see how it turns out.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I spent 14 continuous months sleeping outdoors in a hammock. Worked outside as much as possible. It was on private property so there were no other hassles from unwanted visitors, aside from critters.

There are plenty of places you can do this if you don't mind moving around. Biggest problem is becoming a target for either the police or thieves. Sleep in a public place, you risk being assaulted while you sleep. Plenty of people have lived out of small shacks or cars/trucks during their college years, including close friends of mine. Yes you save some money but there are significant downside risks. The life of a hobo ain't easy but it's free.

Finding a farm or some piece of land and making a barter/trade for some labor in exchange for bathroom, running water, is a regular thing in many parts.

It is no hardship living out of a hammock, a camp you can strike every day. It's all the other stuff that presents a challenge, but yes, sure you can do it.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    I think it's a fantastic idea.. I've long been a fan of being as off the grid as possible. There's a lot of stuff I'd "like" to do, that I can't, because I have a child, and doing things like not having electricity is considered unlawful in the eyes of the normal people. I don't own a cell phone, because there is no service where I live.. I have the internet because I have a child, and because it's pretty much become a requirement for school. Half of my kid's homework is done via the internet. Currently, all phones and tablets, as well as main lighting in bedrooms are solar powered. Running off a 10 watt solar panel, 10,000 mAh battery, and using these for lights.

I'd need enough juice to run a freezer, and well pump. The eggs we produce don't need to be refrigerated, most of the fruits vegetables and mushrooms out of the gardens we produce are canned or dried for long term storage. The honey we'll soon be producing will never go bad. The only real reason I need the freezer is to store meats.. because I have no other system in place to preserve 200lbs of meat.

Given half a chance, I'd move further south, buy an acre and cover it from end to end in permaculture. Root cellars dug throughout, composting toilet in a small shed, with a solar hot water heater for a shower. Solar cells on the roof, and a battery bank to power the pump and the freezer. If these guy can produce 6,000lbs of food a year on 1/10 of an acre.. I'd love to try it larger scale.

Screw Normal. Buy yourself a small lot of land.. and live however you want.
    saw your post you may want to check out zeer pot, as a non electric off grid fridge, also smoked meat, dried, salt or curry cured and wrapping in newspaper and buried under ground in clay also works in keeping meat as long as you can keep it dry.
    Last edited by T- Minus; 06-21-2015 at 14:18.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Hexon, self-crafted
    Tarp
    Xenon 1.1 hexagona
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie! home-made
    Images
    I went on vacation and lived in my minivan for 90 days. I enjoyed the experience, but I can tell you it was stressful. Just finding a place to park, making sure the neighbors won't call the police, dogs won't bark and staying unnoticed is an effort. Living in a hammock would be even more stressful. I took my showers at gyms, but everyone knew are an interloper when I pulled out my toothbrush. I was happy to get back to my lovely house when it was over. That was 8 years ago, and the experience permanently changed me. I got a whiff of what is was like to be homeless. I practiced for a couple of years before I went out on the road, and there was still a learning curve. I'm glad I did what I did but I look at everything differently now. Once I got home I started throwing out stuff I didn't absolutely need. I never was materialistic but I live a bare-bones lifestyle now. The biggest change, I stopped liking and tolerating most other people.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    It's obvious that I spoke too soon and in great ignorance.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have the solution! Don't hide out or do this on the sly. Call the networks and start your own woodland reality show. You'll have plenty of company with all those camera folks around 24/7 and you'll get paid a million dollars to boot! Hey, if the Kardashians can do it, so can you. Plus, I'm sure yours would be more interesting.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    I guess I wonder why you'd be all stealth like.. For $1500 (the cost of 2 months rent on a 1 bedroom apartment) you can buy an acre. Heck, you could probably buy an acre for less than that, but I'm basing my price locally, and prices here are jacked because of the Catskill mountains. No need to stealth, no cops.. and without a permanent house on it, taxes would be laughably small.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast