Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Spreadsheet for good hang spot info?

Anyone know of any database or spreadsheet that shows how good certain trails and backcountry destinations are for hammock camping?

I'm a Washington backpacker who has mostly switched to hammock camping, and while I'm getting kind of good at predicting which areas will work for hammocks, sometimes I'm wrong (it took me 2 hours to find a suitable spot for just one hammock at Rampart Lakes two weekends ago, for example.) I always try to include how hammock-able a hike was when I write trip reports on the Washington Trails Association website, but I haven't yet found any place to find this kind of information reliably.

I was thinking a spreadsheet that we can all add hikes/destinations and a hammock-worthiness-rating to would be neat.

Does that already exist?

Would other people use it?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Being as there are so few hammockers out west and we are so spread out it would take a very long time to build up much of a data base. The flip side is that the more you hang and the more creative you work to think the less places there are that you can not hang.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Playapixie View Post
    Anyone know of any database or spreadsheet that shows how good certain trails and backcountry destinations are for hammock camping?

I'm a Washington backpacker who has mostly switched to hammock camping, and while I'm getting kind of good at predicting which areas will work for hammocks, sometimes I'm wrong (it took me 2 hours to find a suitable spot for just one hammock at Rampart Lakes two weekends ago, for example.) I always try to include how hammock-able a hike was when I write trip reports on the Washington Trails Association website, but I haven't yet found any place to find this kind of information reliably.

I was thinking a spreadsheet that we can all add hikes/destinations and a hammock-worthiness-rating to would be neat.

Does that already exist?

Would other people use it?
    It would be great, but PG may be right. Of course everything has to start somewhere.

I just ask here. Always amazed how no matter what trail I want to hike in a camp someone here has done it and gives great info.

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Hi Playapixie, I don't know of a list, but I hike a fair amount and like you can usually tell if an area is going to work or not. You can also try NWHiker.net lots of good information there and really friendly people. If your ever looking for hiking buddies shoot me a pm here or on NWHikers.net, I hike a lot off Hwy 2 and the ONP.

Wolfman

Hammock
    Ridgerunner SL
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    Tewa and W.Logics
    Suspension
    Venomous Cinch Bug
    As long as I'm below treeline, I can usually get a decent hang. I takes an eye like PG stated, but I wouldn't say it's any harder than finding a suitable ground site either. I sometimes take my "Insurance" straps and extra line if I think the trees will be bigger or spread out.

Hammock
    10' Dutch PolyD/ENO DN
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    CCF+0*Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I am new to the world of hammocks, but I would love this. It might be a good idea to put one together? I would contribute as much as possible, at least for the Northern California Spots I find..

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Quote Originally Posted by BCoop View Post
    I sometimes take my "Insurance" straps and extra line if I think the trees will be bigger or spread out.
    Playa has the same issues I do. And it's not the big trees. We end up in alpine areas with comically bendy trees. And only after you've ruled out the ones below talus fields, lightning damaged, high-wind zone and spanning boulders. But if I had to start somewhere, I'd snag the top couple dozen off Ira Spring's 100 Hikes in Washington's Alpine Lakes or his 100 Classic Hikes and Beckey's Alpine Guide, then list: hammock yes/no, elevation you can effectively hammock, suggested gear and difficulty.

I'll have my hammock in the Enchantments Core--fairly certain I'll be bivying half the time. But if I get to hang, I'll mark my sites in the GPS.

Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks
    I usually in the Daniel Boone Nationl forest so there a always a place to hang as long as the forest service has not roped it off due to so many ground dwellers impacting the area to much or a bunch of people decided to camp 10 feet from the trails.
    We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner SL
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    Tewa and W.Logics
    Suspension
    Venomous Cinch Bug
    I have yet to encounter "bendy" trees, but also have not set up at high elevation(aside from Peggys Pond, thanks for the info Montexan). Wouldn't having longer straps still help mitigate the problem, at least being able to expand possible sites to a bigger tree span? I have used my trekking poles to push straps up a tree across a big span. I may encounter this next weekend beyond dishpan gap, hoping to find a hang spot up high.

Yes a workable spread sheet or maybe a "searchable" sticky post by region with some pertinent info would be pretty cool.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Quote Originally Posted by BCoop View Post
    Wouldn't having longer straps still help mitigate the problem, at least being able to expand possible sites to a bigger tree span? I have used my trekking poles to push straps up a tree across a big span.
    Oh yah, longer straps are a must. You'll find the bendies by the alpine lakes, usually near that perfect rock outcropping surrounded by water with killer peak views. You think it's a perfectly good tree and seems super solid, but no.

BTW, were the skeeters bad at Peggy's?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast