Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Hennessy SS
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinch

Hanging in MO State Parks ???

Morning all,

I'm curious if any of you have encountered problems while hanging within one of Missouri's state parks. I noticed that on their rules/regulations page they state that hanging anything from a tree is prohibited (including lanterns). I've emailed them to inquire about a hammock specifically, but am curious what you have experienced personally...

Thanks,
    Tim

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Personally in 10+ years of hanging in Missouri, I've never been questioned once about having my hammock up. The majority of my "park like" experiences have been along or near the river and not one Ranger I've encountered ever mentioned anything about it. A couple even took the time to ask questions about the hammock setup. Keep in mind, many of these would technically be in National Forestlands within the state. In true state campgrounds I have a lot less experience. Johnson Shut-ins has not had issues with hangs occuring on park grounds.

To tell the truth, I honestly wasn't aware that there were rules against hanging items from a tree in the state parks. I've just always applied common sense to the situations, ie not nailing into or doing anything that would damage a tree, and it's never been an issue. Hammocks go on tree straps, tarp lines are wrapped directly around the tree, packs hang from suspension lines or branches, gravity filters hang from trees...etc. Nothing is permanently attached and care is taken with everything. Nothing has ever been said.

I'm curious to hear what their response will be.
    Last edited by Eidson; 06-17-2015 at 14:37.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    under construction
    Suspension
    Dutchgear whoopies
    Good Morning, I have it on good authority that MO State Parks want a 2" flat strap for hanging anything, from lanterns to deer. They should not make you remove it but will request that the next visit that you use 2" straps. As hammock campers we all know that we want to reduce tree damage and this is their way to help us help them.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Hennessy SS
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinch
    I'm running the dutchware cinch buckle system so my straps wouldn't meet the 2" requirement, but I do still have my stock Hennessy tree huggers so I can incorporate them into the puzzle. I still haven't gotten a response from Mo Parks, but I've read enough experiences that I'm not real worried about it.

Thanks guys.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    under construction
    Suspension
    Dutchgear whoopies
    Okay, here is what I received.

"Here is our standard response when asked about hammocks.

We do allow use of hammocks, though it varies from park to park due to campsite logistics. We ask that you use 2" wide nylon straps. It is best to check first with staff at the park you would like to visit, to ensure you set up on a campsite that can accommodate a hammock."

This was received from Customer Service Coordinator for Missouri State Parks. I have an inside connection......

I too am using Dutchware, but the dutchclip and whoopies, they don't meet the 2" requirement either, something that I will have to accommodate this summer I suppose. The ultimate hang has some good ideas from what I remember.

Happy Hanging.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Just to add a little more information on my experience, I do typically use 2" straps, so perhaps this may have contributed as to why I've never been approached/questioned.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Hennessy SS
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinch
    Never heard back from MO Parks. Called down to Truman State park since that is my destination. Spoke to a guy named Brian. He said they just require a tree safe suspension system, so my 1" straps will be good to go. He also said to call the specific park you plan to visit because some have endangered/protected trees that can't have hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GT SBpro
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix,Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have hung at Montauk state park a couple time with no problem. At the office when I was paying for my campsite the lady there commented on how they needed a
    designation for hammocks, not only tents, campers and rvs. I hadn't even mentioned that I was going to use a hammock.

I've hung at Washington State Park outside DeSoto, MO and never had anyone say anything to me or check my suspension. I had called down there before hand and got the same, similar, response. "Use tree safe suspension, (I can't recall if they asked for 1" or 2") but they did say that individual parks may vary, and to call ahead before going.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMOHammock'r View Post
    Okay, here is what I received.

"Here is our standard response when asked about hammocks.

We do allow use of hammocks, though it varies from park to park due to campsite logistics. We ask that you use 2" wide nylon straps. It is best to check first with staff at the park you would like to visit, to ensure you set up on a campsite that can accommodate a hammock."

This was received from Customer Service Coordinator for Missouri State Parks. I have an inside connection......

I too am using Dutchware, but the dutchclip and whoopies, they don't meet the 2" requirement either, something that I will have to accommodate this summer I suppose. The ultimate hang has some good ideas from what I remember.

Happy Hanging.

Let me clarify, what they are asking for is a 2 inch nylon flat strap wrapped around the tree. In short what that means is a 2 inch wide piece of nylon strap wrapped around the tree where your 1 inchtree straps will make contact with the tree.

I've actually had lengthy conversations with various park rangers regarding this. I hope this helps.
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast