Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HH Suspension Upgrade

Hey everyone,

I'm new to hammocking and have been reading these forums for the past couple of months, and learning lots (thanks!). After buying a HH Explorer Deluxe and using it on about 5 different trips, I think I've got enough information to do my first mod: suspension.

My requirements are as follows:
    a) As simple as possible, with no (or very few) knots, i.e prefer some kind of hardware based system
    b) Must maintain the prusik attachments for the hex tarp. I do not want to run a separate line for the tarp
    c) Weight is not a huge concern, but lighter is always better
    d) I weigh 70kg (155lb) and am 183cm (6')

I've been considering 3 options, and would like any opinions, or suggestions on other systems that I may not have thought of:

1) Whoopie Slings. These do seem quite good, but I've had a hard time finding out how well they work using the stock prusik knots on the HH. It seems like I might have very limited adjustability in my tarp suspension?

2) Rapel rings. I like this system too, but the downside seems to be reliability with rope slipping or fraying. Or is this still a good solution with the right rope (ie rope that copes with with compression)?

3) CamJam XT. This is so far my favorite option. It maintains the prusik attachments, and seems very easy to adjust. The XT Large version has a working load limit of 227kg (500lb) and a breaking limit of 680kg (1500lb), which seems more than enough for my weight.

Thanks!

Hammock
    HH Explorer asym
    Tarp
    Hex tarp
    Insulation
    SS/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm fairly new to hammock to and I also own a HH.

I have tried a couple DIY options and by far I like the rings and webbing suspension the best. Super simple to use and really easy to make your own to. When I took apart my hammock I expected to see the 2 holes rigging system but to my surprise mine as the webbing loop which is even easier to work with.

I also have a HH and took off the original suspension and replaced them with whoopee slings(lots of videos on making them and also installation) for the tarp, a continuous ridgeline from Dutchware which has soft shackles to attach the tarp. I use 1" tree straps with toggles to connect the whoopee slings. Very easy and very light weight. Check out Dutchware for all your hammock needs.

Thanks for the input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero3 View Post
    I have tried a couple DIY options and by far I like the rings and webbing suspension the best. Super simple to use and really easy to make your own to. When I took apart my hammock I expected to see the 2 holes rigging system but to my surprise mine as the webbing loop which is even easier to work with.
    That seems like a really good system too, my only problem is that I can't attach a prusik knot for my tarp, is that right? I've pulled apart my HH and it's got the new webbing loop too which should make any mod I do much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    I also have a HH and took off the original suspension and replaced them with whoopee slings(lots of videos on making them and also installation) for the tarp, a continuous ridgeline from Dutchware which has soft shackles to attach the tarp. I use 1" tree straps with toggles to connect the whoopee slings. Very easy and very light weight. Check out Dutchware for all your hammock needs.
    Dutch certainly makes some great stuff, I'll be ordering some Dutch Clips most likely with whatever setup I go with. I'd still prefer to keep the integrated tarp setup, but that system is a separate ridge line right?

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Owning two HH. I went with whoopie slings and a separate ridge line.
    The separate ridge line imo was better (no sag in the tarp). I did this after my first few hangs. It's all personal preference.
    If I ever decide to upgrade again I will go with cinch buckles. I have them on my WBBB's. They weight a little more but very simple to adjust.
    HYOH
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a HH Assym Explorer...actually 3 (2 for the kids). I changed out my stock suspension for whoopies. I'll have to go back and look, but I believe I reattached the prussic with clip back onto the whoopies.
    They were super easy to swap out and I find them super easy to use. I kept the HH tree straps and use the lightest weight climbing carabinier I could find. Color coded each end (green for head and red for feet) and when setting up will know what view I'll have by what color I have in my hand.
    I to went with an independent ridgeline for the tarp and I like being able to adjust for increased/decreased ventilation. I can also bunk bed stack my son and I when we go out, by raising the tarp high enough to get us both below.
    Good luck with your mods!

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ potomac
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    My wife and I both use HH Explorers. I have tried several suspension systems on them. I like simplicity in setup. The best suspension system for us had been ENO atlas straps and carabiners. Just replace the original suspension with amsteel loops and clip them to the atlas straps. For tarp we use dutchware stingers and lash-it. This is not the lightest set up, but it is so quick and easy. If you are not trying to save weight, it's the way to go.

Thanks for the input guys! All really good suggestions. I think for my setup I'd really like to keep the integrated ridgeline, and therefore the prusik knot is essential. I don't suffer the tarp sag when I hang my hammock at 30°, and for me at least it seems like a separate rideline is a extra effort for few advantages.

Does anyone know if whoopies would work the stock HH tarp setu-up? i.e. prusik attachments on the whoopie for the tarp?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have two HH and use the rapel ring set up on both of them. Been doing it for past two years with no wear on the stock HH ropes. I made a decision to use the rings until such time as I see wear then I will switch out the stock suspension for the Dutchware Cinch Bugs and a continuous loop.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I have two HH and use the rapel ring set up on both of them. Been doing it for past two years with no wear on the stock HH ropes. I made a decision to use the rings until such time as I see wear then I will switch out the stock suspension for the Dutchware Cinch Bugs and a continuous loop.
    Do you find the need to tie some kind of safety back-up knot (such as a half hitch), or do you just leave the rope looped through the rings?

I always tie a slippery half hitch in behind the rings. They will slip w/o it.
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 06-17-2015 at 20:34.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast