Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Like you, I like the tarp attached to the hammock suspension - for me its better weather resistance when using the HH tarp. The bit of sagging is taken care of with some bungees on the tarp tie out. My biggest disadvantage of this is setting up in the rain. Anyway I used the prussik on the whoopies for several years, it works for me, its just harder to adjust the whoopie once the prussik is tight. I usually position the hammock first, then tighten the tarp up. It does sort of negate part of the whoopie advantage of being able to tweak the suspension tension whenever you want. I used the hammock anchors, and that solves the problem except for wear on the amsteel line. Lately, i've taken to using a prussik for the hammock suspension. I use 3.8 mm spyderline with 2.8 mm spyderline prussiks. So far, I haven't had any problem with them holding (not a chance of doing this with amsteel or dynaglide). So i just tie the 3.8 mm spyderline tight to the straps on each tree. Clip the hammock to the prussiks on the 3.8 mm line (use biners or soft shackles), and 2nd set fo prussiks for the tarp. The 3.8 mm line under the tarp is handy for hanging stuff to dry.

oh yeah, it weighs about an oz more than the whoopie set up. Like others, I'm just waiting on Dutch to make the new speed hook 2 or whatever it will be.
    Last edited by greggg3; 06-18-2015 at 05:09.

Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    I usually position the hammock first, then tighten the tarp up. It does sort of negate part of the whoopie advantage of being able to tweak the suspension tension whenever you want. I used the hammock anchors, and that solves the problem except for wear on the amsteel line. Lately, i've taken to using a prussik for the hammock suspension. I use 3.8 mm spyderline with 2.8 mm spyderline prussiks. So far, I haven't had any problem with them holding (not a chance of doing this with amsteel or dynaglide). So i just tie the 3.8 mm spyderline tight to the straps on each tree. Clip the hammock to the prussiks on the 3.8 mm line (use biners or soft shackles), and 2nd set fo prussiks for the tarp. The 3.8 mm line under the tarp is handy for hanging stuff to dry.
    Thanks for the details Greg, that sounds like a really good set-up for what I'm after, think I'm going to give it a try!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I hope it works for you. I know it might start slipping on me as the line gets older/slicker or if it gets wet - hasn't yet, but if it starts slipping during a trip, I figure I can always cut the main 3.8 mm line in half and use a slipped buntline or a munter mule if I'm using biners, the munter works great with spyderline, (actually works good with the stock HH line, but you'll add the weight of the biners to the setup).

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    I have an HH with the standard suspension with tree straps, climbing rings and carabiners but will soon be upgrading to Dutch's cinch buckle system for weight and ease of setup.

moved to a superfly using a continuous ridgeline about a year ago. biggest reason was to be have more flexibility on the height of the tarp over the hammock so that in warmer weather I can have more head room.

Still use the prusik to hook to the tarp and store in snakeskins. Will move the prusiks to one of the cinch buckle straps after moving to a new suspension so that I have both the tarp and hammock in the snakeskins together.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    I'm using whoopies now, but started with the rings and stock cordage. Only knot was a slippery overhand to prevent any kind of slipping and to gather the extra cord and keep it off the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12