Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Very long hammock design?

Have you ever made a very long hammock and how did it turn out?
    I am talking about 13-14 feet!
    The biggest hammock I have made to date is 12’ and it offers a lot of comfort I haven’t been able to find in any of the other designs I have tried.
    13-14 feet sounds like a lot and it is but for what I have in mind I would replace a huge part of the fabric with lines (if I decide to make it).
    I will not make a tarp matching that seize so the lines will be out in the open but as long as it has been made with some kind of dripping system I hope it doesn’t matter.
    How to attach the lines (dogbones or whoopie slings) to the fabric is something I haven’t decided on yet but 3 options comes to mind.
    • Eyelets in a reinforced hem. ( so far my first choice)
    • Thicker line in a channel with holes.
    • Grosgrain loops.

If you have any other suggestions beside the 3 above please let me know.
    The plan is to use 1mm Dyneema line so whatever the solution it has to be strong. 1mm line will cut through anything if not done correct.

There is nothing new about this design other than the length perhaps and the main priority is comfort but I think it can be done at a fair weight and volume compared to the size and hopefully with a pleasant surprise.
    long-line-hammock.png
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I sleep every night in a 13'x90" tablecloth hammock. It is very comfortable.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, plus some lousy DIYs
    Tarp
    Oware
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single line cord
    This is a concept that has me exceedingly curious. I'm on the tall side (~6'6" =/-) and would like to experiment with a longer, wider design for use in backpacking (so tarp included). Would also be interested in hearing from other taller hangers and their experiences.
    thanks for bringing it up.
    "If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's deadly." -Danielle Quierca
    --Proud Papa to three budding hangers, Educator, Lover of all things Outdoors, Still Seeking, Veteran

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I have messed around with this design a little bit. I used a GT UL hammock that I didn't care about messing up. I ran a piece of 1/8" Amsteel through the channel and burned holes to connect my "nettles", which were zing-it dogbones. The fabric ripped in several spots, but it held just fine. I found the design to be very comfortable, but I wouldn't trust it camping.

Hi foxpoop, "I wouldn't trust it camping" is that because of the GT's material failure/ tearing or is there another reason? design problem? The reason I ask is because this design is actually quite old and is a form of a bridge hammock- or more rightly, a flexible bridge with clew hammock. This should be very comfy. weighty though I'll bet.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Hi foxpoop, "I wouldn't trust it camping" is that because of the GT's material failure/ tearing or is there another reason? design problem? The reason I ask is because this design is actually quite old and is a form of a bridge hammock- or more rightly, a flexible bridge with clew hammock. This should be very comfy. weighty though I'll bet.
    I wouldn't trust the one that I threw together because of the rips I caused in the channel. If done properly, you will love the comfort. If you figure a way to re-enforce the channel to support the clews (and keep the weight down), let me know. I actually have one of the cottage vendors working on this for me right now.
    BTW, I actually think the nettles are only necessary for me at the foot end. I have never had any comfort issues at the head end with a regular gather.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've done this for years, but I cut the ends on an angle, not straight across. It started when I looked at all the fabric in a gathered end hammock that I wasn't actually lying on, so I cut it off and replaced it with adjustable lines attached every 3 or 4 inches. Make a reinforced channel and sew a cord into it. I've used 5 mm utility cord, amsteel, or dynaglide. Burn holes in the fabric right next to the cord and use larks head knots to attach your lines so they're adjustable. I used 120 or 200 lb. spectra, but it takes a sharp eye and a tiny splicing tool to make a whoopie sling at one end in something that small. I suggest using 200 lb. hollow braid dacron kite line. It's much easier to splice and much cheaper. I think the grosgrain loops would work, too, but they put a more localized strain on the fabric. Forget eyelets; they're worse in that regard. You'll have problems with line tangles if you're not very careful to keep track of the ends when you take the hammock down. A loose piece of light fabric under the end lines, with the outer two end lines in channels will prevent tangles and make a great built-in gear loft. If the outer end lines on opposite corners are bungee instead of dacron, you have a side-stretch mod.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxpoop View Post
    I wouldn't trust the one that I threw together because of the rips I caused in the channel. If done properly, you will love the comfort. If you figure a way to re-enforce the channel to support the clews (and keep the weight down), let me know. I actually have one of the cottage vendors working on this for me right now.
    BTW, I actually think the nettles are only necessary for me at the foot end. I have never had any comfort issues at the head end with a regular gather.
    This is why the eyelets is on top of my list. I have a thing about appearance and ripped fabric …… Goosebumps
    Idea, Grosgrain loops hidden in the channel?
    G loops.png
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I've done this for years, but I cut the ends on an angle, not straight across. It started when I looked at all the fabric in a gathered end hammock that I wasn't actually lying on, so I cut it off and replaced it with adjustable lines attached every 3 or 4 inches. Make a reinforced channel and sew a cord into it. I've used 5 mm utility cord, amsteel, or dynaglide. Burn holes in the fabric right next to the cord and use larks head knots to attach your lines so they're adjustable. I used 120 or 200 lb. spectra, but it takes a sharp eye and a tiny splicing tool to make a whoopie sling at one end in something that small. I suggest using 200 lb. hollow braid dacron kite line. It's much easier to splice and much cheaper. I think the grosgrain loops would work, too, but they put a more localized strain on the fabric. Forget eyelets; they're worse in that regard. You'll have problems with line tangles if you're not very careful to keep track of the ends when you take the hammock down. A loose piece of light fabric under the end lines, with the outer two end lines in channels will prevent tangles and make a great built-in gear loft. If the outer end lines on opposite corners are bungee instead of dacron, you have a side-stretch mod.
    I did remember something about your design with the line and burned holes but not the part but not the part with the angled ends.
    I did not think about the tangling line issue but you have a point. Two snake skins should solve that.
    For the eyelet or Grosgrain loop solution I had edge reinforcement in mind like on bridge hammocks webbing or Grosgrain and the fabric rolled around it. I would not trust the fabric alone.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I sleep every night in a 13'x90" tablecloth hammock. It is very comfortable.
    Huge!
    I don’t know if you have tried the same length in a narrow hammock?

What I really want to know is if it makes a difference from 12’ and upwards in length?
    I can feel the difference from 11’ to 12’ but could be something changes when it gets longer?
    The idea was to use 60” (or perhaps 72” when it becomes available) wide fabric. This may be about comfort but it still have to be used for camping so bulk and weight will be an issue at some point.
    I may be naïve but I have a hope it could be made with the same volume and weight as a 11’ (or 12’) hammock but as 13’-14’ length.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast