Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I've never slept in my hammock at home. I've done lots of afternoon relaxing, but no over night sleep, so I don't know how it would go. That said I even have trouble sleeping in my bed at games.

Now, I have used both of my hammocks backpacking and canoeing. I've never had trouble sleeping in them - unlike a tent. I am so tired after a day out that I have no trouble sleeping ini it.

My suggestion is take one out for an overnight trip and see how it sleeps.

Also +1 to a bigger hammock! My first was a 10' Hennessy clone. My second is an 11' gathered end. The longer is more comfy! I don't think could sleep in my friends Eno...

I'm about to build a WBBB clone for the wife. I'm curious how comfy it will be. She requires an integrated net, because the open bottom of my fronkey freaks her out, so I figured why not...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My first night trying to sleep in a hammock I kept having dreams that someone was grabbing the hammock and spinning me around. was unsettling.

I also found a longer hammock (12 foot) to be much more comfortable to sleep in than my original ENO DN.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Ear plugs and 2 Benadryl..... While I don't need either when out camping, in the back yard it's the only way I can sleep.. Dogs barking, TV's in the neighbors homes with windows open, sirens... Way to noisy... Also, the stupid birds wake me up at 5am....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    I had some of the same experience. Apart from getting the hang right, I, too, found ear plugs helpful to block out the noises that came with sleeping in the backyard. Even in a small town there is something going on all night long it seems. I, too, suffer from monkey brain--that phenomenon where my mind goes from one thing to the next without any apparent transition--like a monkey swinging from one vine to the next.
    The good news is that it keeps coming easier. After finding the sweet spot for the night, I usually am surprised to wake up in the morning refreshed and relaxed. One night up in the Smokies I had been up and down several times before midnight--then the next thing I know it's 7:30 in the morning and I've slept longer than normal.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    ..... Also, the stupid birds wake me up at 5am....
    That made me smile. In my area of central TX when the sun goes down the woods come alive and it sounds like the jungle. frogs, cicadas coyotes, but the loudest and most disturbing to sleep for me are the whippoorwills. If they keep a continuous song it can be rhythmic, when they start and stop it is not restful.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wash 3
    Suspension
    whoopie!!!
    I agree with all the points of the above posts but one thing I didn't hear mentioned is the importance of the proper sized pillow. The same thickness of a bed pillow used in bed won't cut it in a hammock. Because the head is already higher than the shoulder, using a thick pillow raises the head too much. I use a real small, soft, squishy micro-bead neck pillow that just supports my neck and my head is still resting on the hammock. I suppose it's takes up the same volume in my pack as a small grapefruit but I consider it to be another key component to a good nights sleep and I wouldn't go without it.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. Hang your own hammock from them as the winds blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir (you know, all but the hammock part)

i'll have to try a different pillow, being really tired, maybe a longer hammock, ear plugs, and starting with a nap or just relaxing and reading a book to get more used to it and condition my brain it's "ok"

thanks again for all the suggestions!

Hammock
    WB Traveler, plus some lousy DIYs
    Tarp
    Oware
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single line cord
    Okay, speaking of pillows, do any of you find that you have to add a pillow to your low back (lumbar region) for back support? I'll probably start a new thread on this, but it's relevant to this discussion.
    "If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's deadly." -Danielle Quierca
    --Proud Papa to three budding hangers, Educator, Lover of all things Outdoors, Still Seeking, Veteran

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 1.6 DBL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly + Noah 12
    Insulation
    New River Long
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    10.5 or 11' length hammock for sure. Sleep Diagonal with feet 6" above the head if at all possible. Works for me. No ear plugs for me... i like to fall asleep to the noises. Dog sleeps with me or just below me... he snores... puts me right to sleep.... I try to hang in the backyard almost every weekend.
    Last edited by kormi; 06-16-2015 at 21:50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123