Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    There is no right or wrong when picking a hammock. Just a right and wrong for you - and unfortunately, nobody can tell you which hammock is right or wrong for you.

Hennessys are solid hammocks. They are built to last, which also means that they are heavier than they need to be for most users. They are also mass-produced in the Far East, in case that is important to you. For people on a budget, they can be a good starter hammock, because you get the complete package and can start hanging right away, without doing a ton of research. Of course many people later find that they prefer something different; a lighter or differently constructed hammock, a lighter and/or bigger tarp and so on.

Warbonnet hammocks are hammocks for a certain type of user. Quite a few people don't like integrated hammocks (but HH are integrated as well), hence the suggestion to go with a modular set-up (no-net hammock plus bug net). There are pros and cons for both type of set-ups, and in the end it's simply a matter of taste. And you won't know what you like until you have tried both. For more than one night.

My first hammock was a WBBB. It's still my favorite hammock for hiking by far, and I have tried many different set-ups.

One of the big advantages of a WB hammock is, that it doesn't lose much value. If you buy it and find you don't like it, put it up for sale here for $10 less than you spent on it, and it will likely be sold within a couple of hours (if not minutes). As long as you didn't damage it, of course. Hennessys have a much lower resale value.

Since it sounds as if you haven't even tried sleeping in a hammock, I would also suggest that you start out with a cheap no-net hammock as e.g. sold by Dutch (but there are plenty of other vendors with similar offers, e.g. Butt in a Sling, Simply Light Designs, Hammeck, Dream Hammock, or even the Traveler hammocks from Warbonnet). Try sleeping in it at home or in your backyard. If you like it, you can order a WBBB. Or maybe you like your no-net so much, that you decide to make it your main hiking hammock...
    +1 this.

In my opinion, there is no "cadillac" of hammocks. The best hammock, weather, and insulation system is user and trip dependent.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I'd go with Dutch or others of our made in America vendors.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Im actually looking at upgrading my system to a war bonnet black bird. Seems like a great set up.

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    I re-read your OP to look for your physical stats but didn't see anything...here's my input...

Like others have stated it's personal, though I can compare the HH and WBBB in our yard anytime since my wife (at 5'3") has a Hennessy Expedition Asym.zip and I ( 5'8") have a WBBB 1.7 dbl.

Here is what I found for me.
    My wife did quite a bit of research and decided to purchase the Hennessy. I was still in research mode and decided to check it out before making my decision. The H.exp is a beautiful set up. But for what ever reason I was unable to get a nice lay in it and felt boxed in.

Sooooo.... I continued my research which included the WB line. I found several post by peeps my relative height and placed my order.

The WBBB fits my frame like a hand in glove. I can lay on my back, side, and even stomach (but was just a test cuz I don't sleep that way).

If you are much over ~6ft just make sure you get the longer WBBB model that is offered (I have the standard model).

: ) Thom
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i have owned both.......sold the explorer, still have the wbbb that i occasionally use, but mainly keep for friends or family to use should the need arise, great hammock and brandon is great to work with

how are you going to be using the hammock? backpacking? car camping?

for the most part sodakgrrl and i car camp and because of that i have moved onto a diy bridge hammock and have found that it is the most comfortable out of all the hammocks i've ever used, although heavier than the others, just another idea for you

you might want to try out Underground Quilts Rental Program to get an idea if hammock camping is even something that will work for you

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I had much the same decision in the spring. I was looking at trying...I stress 'trying', to save a little by getting a Hennessy rather than a Warbonnet. In the end I opted for something made in North America (in case any of you folks are missing world events of late, we are in an all out war for survival and we need to push more people to shop for stuff made on our continent) as opposed to the Hennessy. I went for the Blackbird and I'm not sorry I did. I'm sure the Hennessy would have suited me fine to start out but I wanted quality over price savings, and I'd much rather contribute to the economy of 'here' rather than 'there'.

And like many of the others have stated, if you buy it and don't like it, it will be easier to sell than a Hennessy.

Oh and one more thing, I remember thinking "I'm going big so I don't have to buy another one for years". Now that I have one, I want to get my kids into it and have just ordered a hammock from Dutch so don't think you're getting out of this with just one hammock purchase .

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 1.6 DBL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly + Noah 12
    Insulation
    New River Long
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Truth be known... your going to have many hammocks. +1 on the Dutch... I love my 10.5 double layer Argon. 6'1" 220 lbs. Comfy. I think the big investment is going to be the UQ & Tarp.... but they can go with any hammock u choose. Good hunting.

Hammock
    Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MJ
    I have a wbbb xlc 1.1 double layer and have been very happy with my choice in hammocks so far. But as others have said I now want a few more hammocks in the near future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12