Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Lay direction in Asym Hammock?

Okay, this may be a dumb question.... I have a HH Asym hammock. I have always slept with my head to the right and feet to the left of the center line as you look up to the ridge line which seem like the obvious way to me. So a guy in a Youtube video is going the other way.... Have I been doing it wrong? Are both ways okay?

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    If you're comfy, keep doing your own thing.

However the hh small tarp, side pull outs and super shelter pads will line up head left & feet right.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Endoverend View Post
    Have I been doing it wrong? Are both ways okay?
    That depends on the cut of the netting. My HH's net is cut for a "head left, feet right"-lay (direction as seen from your perspective when lying in the hammock). If yours is not a lefty, your net is probably cut the same way. If you are comfortable lying the other way, and your hammock doesn't show signs of damage, I guess you can continue doing it that way. However, it puts some stress on the net and the zipper. I would hesitate lying the wrong way in my hammocks. It's safer to get a lefty hammock.

Images

Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    That depends on the cut of the netting. My HH's net is cut for a "head left, feet right"-lay (direction as seen from your perspective when lying in the hammock). If yours is not a lefty, your net is probably cut the same way. If you are comfortable lying the other way, and your hammock doesn't show signs of damage, I guess you can continue doing it that way. However, it puts some stress on the net and the zipper. I would hesitate lying the wrong way in my hammocks. It's safer to get a lefty hammock.
    I think mine must be a "righty"..... There is more cloth on the right and not much mesh on the left. It is a very early model HH. It would feel more natural for me to go in the direction that the lefty does I think...... Oh well....

Thanks for your post!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC - DL
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    I'm in the same boat as you. I naturally lay head right feet left. Unfortunately, my WBBB is the opposite. I think I'm going to have to get rid of it or trade the wife back my old skeeter beater pro...

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    I naturally lay head right feet left. Unfortunately, my WBBB is the opposite. I think I'm going to have to get rid of it or trade the wife back my old skeeter beater pro...
    If you like the WBBB otherwise, you could sell it and buy a lefty BB. Just contact WB; he builds lefty hammocks for a small charge, if I'm correctly informed.

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    I also sleep head right feet left. Though my hammock doesn't have the net problem fortunately, I am getting a separate net soon I hope.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Endoverend View Post
    Okay, this may be a dumb question.... I have a HH Asym hammock. I have always slept with my head to the right and feet to the left of the center line as you look up to the ridge line which seem like the obvious way to me. So a guy in a Youtube video is going the other way.... Have I been doing it wrong? Are both ways okay?
    Firstly and most importantly: H.Y.O.H. Secondly: The intended lie is with one's left shoulder and one's right foot in the sections opened by the side pull-outs. The intention is to provide a conveniently opened, "flatter", diagonal lie across center; the fabric's cut to accommodate this orientation and distribution of mass. Whether the zip(?) be to the left or to the right of you, is as you prefer. The pull-outs are still intended to be left shoulder and right foot, irrespective of which end you declare to be head/foot. In a bottom-entry model, the head-end/foot-end decision is made for you, but you've still the latitude to decide which diagonal suits you. There's no wrong. Enjoy your Hennessy, and here's hoping you never need tumble end over end.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    I remember a while back there was a poll done on this subject, and to the best I can remember it was like 27% said they did feet left. Maybe someone that is good a finding old information like that can put the true % in here.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 12 ft. w/Doors
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I just got back from a 2 week hike in the UP of Michigan. I use a HH, when I sleep I find myself moving around a lot. sometimes i wake up laying directly down the support line. Just go with whats comfortable, that is my advice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast