Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Foam
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Good points! I'll add those to the list above!

I like the idea of tarp pullouts. That's a great benefit. I am going to have to add that to my next tarp (which I'm planning now, hence the post!)

Also, I like the rolled seam thoughts. Makes sense that you could only do this on the side since if it were on the ridge it wouldn't work that way. Definitely going to have to do that too!

XXL, why would you put grosgrain into the roll? Am I understanding that correctly that you would roll it into the seam?

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I would roll the twill tape into a folded seam like Ramblinrev has shown and explained this in his video Tarp Tips as a folded hem perhaps with two stitch lines only.

I used this technik already quite often because I had to reinforce all my Kam Snaps on my hammock top-cover. I have two top-covers which I can snap below my bug net. 14 snaps are on the zipper tape of my bug net 6 snaps on twill tape flat-felled seams and 20 on each top-cover which have twill tape rolled hems around the whole perimeter. So I reinforced already a total of 46 Kam Snaps with this technic.

For this purpose I would presumably use a folded grosgrain ribbon like this one ExTex 70445. The weight is about 6 gramm/meter. Even rolled the seams won't become thick and look quite normal. Very thin stuff which can be used for a lot of purposes. I bought at once 30 meters and can recommend it.

For the RL of my first tarp I used a much stronger nylon grosgrain ribbon (ExTex 71082). Tarp is a Superfly clone made with heavy ripstop polyester. Cannot identify the coating. Fabric weight is about 120g/sqm.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 06-13-2015 at 13:46.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I see another benefit and another drawback.

For people who want to have a grosgrain RL like on a Superfly the solution with two twill tape side seams would be lighter. My rough estimate is by about 1.5-2oz.

The benefit of a grosgrain RL or a flat-felled seam on the ridge is that you can have a very strong RL tension. I would not expect the same with a seamless RL. It is also difficult to reinforce the tie-outs on the seamless ridge. The best solution I currently can think about would be perhaps a strong tension on a continuous RL under a side seam tarp and prusik knots at the seamless RL ends. This solution can prolongate the tarp life expectation considerably but the tension on the ridge would never be more than the prusik knot allows.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 06-13-2015 at 15:17.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I think DP used to offer no RL seam tarps. So at one time you could buy one.

I really like the idea. Wish I had.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    There is another drawback besides the difficulty to make the tie-outs for the ridge which can be a killer for my plan making a side seam winter tarp with the 9 yds of fabric still waiting on me to be sewn. It is imo not possible to save fabric in the way as Fronkey has shown it with diagonal cuts. I would argue therefore one needs by tendency a bit more fabric to try such a seamless project.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I thought there was some dabbling with composite CF/Silnylon tarps in this style as well. Not sure how they were bonding the two, but it was to provide stronger tie-outs, and with material cost savings, at a time shortly after CF came out and the price points were most shocking to the untrained eye.

RL tie outs were done the same way you bond any CF tarp.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    So I got shocked too. I made a calulation how much fabric I would need for a side seam Superfly clone
    here. Result: I would need about 55% more fabric for the side seam solution.

The calculation is less dramatic for a hex-tarp.

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahull View Post
    Who has tried their hand at making a two tone, side seam, seamless ridge-line tarp? Seems like an awesome idea!

I first saw an example when I saw Streamline's two color tarp design with no ridgeline seam. I thought it was super cool! I've tried to dig into the search and see if it's been discussed here, but I haven't found much!

Has it been discussed anywhere that I've missed? Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing? Two tone? Two color? Side seam? Seamless Ridgeline?

Here's the thread where I originally saw the tarp design. It seems like a very highly praised design.

The design was discussed and admired briefly here. That thread showed promise, but didn't go very deep.

And here's another Streamline two-tone tarp:
    "tarp horror"

Looks to me like the no-ridgeline seam, side-seam, two tone tarp idea is pretty awesome.

Benefits as I understand:
    • Looks super cool
    • No ridgeline seam to leak
    • Side seams may not need to be sealed either
    • more efficient use of material?
    • Looks awesome... Oops. already said that.

*edit* more benefits from discussion in the thread:
    • Rolled seam can be made such that water would flow over the seam, rather than into the thread and holes
    • Tie-Outs can be sewed into the seam at the same time, making them easier and stronger
    • Seamless ridge line eliminates issues with CRL tarp suspension.
    • Takes less floor space to lay out since the seams are shorter.

Drawbacks:
    • More Sewing (two seams, each less than the ridgeline length, but potentially longer combined)
    • I only have one color of Sil... This would compel me to buy another
    • Un-confirmed whether the side-seam is truly unnecessary to seal. Wouldn't a tight pitch end up stretching the stitch holes a little and open up a pathway for water?
    • Not sure how a side seam would affect the pitch, or how durable it would be since it's in a higher stress location.

Has anyone tried their hand at putting the seam on the side? Why is it so seldom mentioned? Is it a lot harder to sew?

I DIY'd a two-tone, no ridgeline a few years back. It can be seen in the thread here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...2-offset-seams

Anyone have a good video or directions on how to make this - step-by-step?? i'm kind of a newb at this so any directions on tarps bug nets would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast