Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not sure where to ask a question like this so just going drop it here and if there is a better spot/way please let me know.

I really want one of these but have no skills (or really time) to make it. Is there anyone out there who would be interested in making one of these for me? Or would there be anything on the market similar? I've been wanting to get into bridge hammocks and this looks perfect.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I built a Diy bridge, well my wife and i as she has the thread injecter skills after getting inspired by Grizz and watching his build videos.
    We put our own ideas into it with a combo of other inspirations from other builders but it was definitly Grizz who got our creative juices flowing.
    Nice to see that he is still at it making amazing new designs and sharing them with all of us.
    If you are thinking about doing a diy bridge, i suggest you go back and look at early Grizzly Adams videos, they are very detailed and will help alot in understanding just how to make the perfect bridge.

Thanks again Grizz for answering all my pesky questions and for the inspiration.

I still love my bridge, it's the one piece of gear that no matter what i wouldn't ever consider selling.(ok, i love my tbird as well)

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_joe View Post
    Not sure where to ask a question like this so just going drop it here and if there is a better spot/way please let me know.

I really want one of these but have no skills (or really time) to make it. Is there anyone out there who would be interested in making one of these for me? Or would there be anything on the market similar? I've been wanting to get into bridge hammocks and this looks perfect.
    V_Allen made one for me. Look him up on the forum and send him a PM. I think he even has a website now...
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Lead
    Can you share more details on how you making the head end and dimensions of body fabric at the spreader bars?

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    blackrat, grizz discussed more details in this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mock-questions

the body fabric is basically a sheet of material 84" long... you then measure 9" in on each side... this is the point that the spreader bars go...

between the spreader bars is 66". you do your curve there. he went in 7.5" on the ariel. so you draw your curve starting at the 9" mark to the other 9" mark (which should be 66" between)... i used the curve spreadsheet xtrekker put together (you can search the forum) to find the different measurements along the 66" curve. i then cut the curve out of hardboard (masonite -- this stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...2777/202046928) then used that and a hot knife to cut the curve into the fabric. the final body fabric should look like this diagram (not to scale):

ariel-fabric-cut.jpg

except ignore those dimensions... the amount you angle in from the corners to the end is about 1.5" each side so that the end is 43" wide.

if you do make this, use 60" wide fabric and then you will have enough left over for the bias tape channel that he makes.. don't throw away anything because i found that i needed even a bit of the fabric from the curves to make the bias tape long enough. i haven't started sewing, just finished cutting, but it looks like the bias tape needs to be around 90" long on each side which means you will have 2 pieces 84" and you will need 4 additional pieces that are 3" each to tack on to the ends of those to make the tape about 90" (i just did it that way for aesthetics or balance or whatever, i'm guessing you could just put a single 6" piece on the 84" piece... in fact, my way you loose more to seam allowance so maybe it would be best just to tack on 1 6" piece -- i'm not sure how close it is to 90" yet)... this means that, other than the end caps, you can get the whole body and the bias tape from one piece of 60" fabric that is 84" long...

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    blackrat, grizz discussed more details in this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mock-questions

if you do make this, use 60" wide fabric and then you will have enough left over for the bias tape channel that he makes.. don't throw away anything because i found that i needed even a bit of the fabric from the curves to make the bias tape long enough. i haven't started sewing, just finished cutting, but it looks like the bias tape needs to be around 90" long on each side which means you will have 2 pieces 84" and you will need 4 additional pieces that are 3" each to tack on to the ends of those to make the tape about 90"
    I cut the endcaps out of the same piece as you've illustrated, just extending the body on one end to accommodate their height.
    That gives the 'bias tape' the length that is needed...the endcaps are narrow enough to fit two of them in the
    60"-14" = 46" inch space between the two 7" wide edges used for the bias tape channel.

(My first version of this design one tacked on the extra pieces just like you've done,
    but then I saw how to make them long enough in one piece. Every build I learn something new...)
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    oh cool, so you didn't need to use the bit of material cut out with the curve part and tack it on to your bias tape. i am making three, but i want to totally cut and make the first one before making the other two... i bought 8 yards of material so i'm hoping i can get all 6 endcaps from that last yard. i'll do the endcaps last thing. i really like this design! i'll post pics when i'm done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    As to the video insertion....click on the "film strip icon" and I take the yt url from browser bar at top.
    Shug

[/URL]
    You guys are forgetting to remove the 's' from 'https:'.

Also, thank you Grizz for taking off your boots before getting in the hammock.
    All the vids where people just jump in the hammock with their boots/shoes on drive me nuts. Who gets into bed with shoes on?? Stop it!

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Main body of the hammock is 1.6 oz/sq yd HyperD (from RipstopByTheRoll) with a fully cord suspension made using 7/64" Amsteel.
    Grizz,

I just revisited this thread because I was thinking of replacing the webbing in my next bridge hammock with cord. In the past you've used 2mm Endura-12 in your suspensions. Can you elaborate on why you went with 7/64" Amsteel this time?

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    The hammock(s?) I remember making with 2mm cord were built for guys with considerably less mass than me. I'm about 200 lbs, in the space of strength/weight tradeoffs I'm happy to use 'the next' step up in weight and strength for the safety margin it provides. Strictly a personal thing; I read
    of guys my size using lighter weight fabric and smaller diameter cord than I go with. Hang your own hang (and pay your own life insurance premiums!)
    Do they have life insurance in Germany?

Just noticed your location, long ago I worked on a US Air Force base comparatively near you, in Zweibrücken. The Parkbrau brewery had a seasonal beer, Pirminator, that was awesome.

cheers
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast