Tarp
    winter w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

WBBB vs Darien Dream vs Dutch nylond

Hi all first post,

I have been doing a lot of researching and have finally decided to take the plunge into hammocks. I have narrowed it down to three choices: warbonnet blackbird, Darien Dream, or the NylonD. All would be single layer because i will be getting a 3 season Jarbridge UQ or a good priced down UQ. I am 6'1" tall and weigh 165. i can only fall asleep on my side with my legs semi curled up on a pad or bed, but i know these things change when sleeping in a hammock. i really would like to keep as cheap as possible (obviously) since it is my first hammock, but need a bugnet for the area i live in for all seasons besides winter months.

The Blackbird intrigues me because of the reviews on here, and also because of the footbox, integrated bug net, and ability to resell if i don't like/ decide to go in a different direction.

the Dream just seems like an all around great hammock for the price.

The nylon D also has great reviews here and seems to get recommended because of price and comfort level. Price seems to be about the same when i add suspension and the fronkey bug net, making it about the same as the Darien and not that much cheaper than a WBBB.

Also starting to think a 10ft hammock would be fine vs an 11ft based on how i sleep, even though Warbonnet and others say for users up to 6'.

And last but not least the tarp for each. This is where id really like to save, but the edge from warbonnet seems like a great option for all of the above, as does some others. Any info or ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Help me make up my mind!

Thanks,
    Hudson

Three good choices from three good vendors. The biggest difference being turn around time from date of order. I believe Dutch is the quickest then Warbonnet followed by Dream Hammocks. DH is all custom made so they are like eight weeks. With this being your first, I'd suggest getting one quicker and jumping right in. Later you can contemplate a Dream Hammock because they are beautiful hammocks (I have the DangerBird). Others here will chime in with other brand suggestions based on their personal experience. They will also be good choices. But I say go with your first thoughts, they are good ones.

The WB tarp is also a good choice. Again there are many good ones here. The Edge will be good for you down in Texas. Same with the Jarbidge.

Don't overthink your first hammock choice. Go out and get it and enjoy. Besides if you are like many here, it won't be your first.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I started with a BB and am 6'1.5" and 170 lbs. Having got an 11' PolyD from dutch, I only reach for the WBBB when I know there will be bugs about. The 11' just feels better. I am thinking of a Half-Wit from Dutch. It is a little longer than the BB, a little shorter than the PolyD, just about right. Price is good and the weight is great as well. We have a WB RR as well as a couple of DIY 10' hammocks the kids love. We need to add bugnets to those for 3 season use here in the southeast.

You can't go wrong and if you fall in love with hammocking, you will know better what you want when you go for your next, and there will be a next!
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a WBBB 10' in 1.1 double layer. Great hammock. The netting is a little close to my face for me. The shelf is awesome. And I don't like having to stake the hammock out. I have heard from others that no staking is needed but I've never been able to do that without the netting falling on my face.

My Darien is 11' 1.7single. I like everything about it. For summer hangs it's my goto.

I have a 10.5' Dutch Argon with Fronkey style net. Just used it first time last week for 6 days at the NOC. Loved it. Mosquitoes were terrible and nothing got inside with me. Being able to adjust bottom quilts easy is a plus for this setup. I started with UQ loose and tightened up as temps got cooler during the night.

All three are great hammocks. It's a tough decision.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The WBBB is an amazing hammock but for your size I would recommend going with the WBBB XLC. The XLC also has a completely removable bug netting and can be replaced with a winter cover for cold months. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the XLC again. I'm also looking to get to a group hang so I can test drive a Dream hammock.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I do love the shelf in my BB. Staking it out is not that big a deal. I just stretch the bungee cord to one of my tarps stakes. I don't like getting in and out, especially if it is hung close to the ground, I have to get the bugnet over my head and it always pulls my hat off when it is staked out. Staking it out does make it easier to zip the bugnet closed and gives the hammock a more open feel. I have not had the problem with the bugnet in my face, but at my height it just feels a little short.

My BB is pre the XLC option or I would have gone with that for my first. I love the idea of the zip off bugnet and top cover options. I think the Dangerbird has both of those options built in.

At least you're starting out with a good under quilt and a single layer hammock. That will help right out of the gait.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Nylon D
    Tarp
    winter w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Even though it wasn't included in this thread (not sure why i just didn't think of it) i found a really good deal on a hennessy explorer with the tarp and whoopee suspension. I decided to pull the trigger on that, since it will leave me enough money to buy a nice under quilt. I plan on hanging it inside the house for a few nights to make sure i can sleep in it before investing in the under quilt though.

One question i have is if i do decide to upgrade to a 11ft dream or Blackbird xlc, would the asym tarp work with it? Also would the hammock gear cuben asym tarp work with them? on the hammock gear you can choose the ridgeline length, 10 11 or 12 ft, so i would think it would work nicely. If hammocks do stick ill gift the explorer to the brother when i upgrade (or keep as a backup).

thanks,
    Hudson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I haven't tried out the Dutch Nylon D nor have I tried the Darien Dream, but I'd take the 11 ft. Dutch Nylon D and Fronkey bugnet, given the options.

They're all in an approximate price range, $120 to $175, so the differences are subtle.

First, I'd say that you will really appreciate the Fronkey bugnet, especially leaving it at home. Anytime it's going to be under 50* F I leave my bugnet at home (because I can). Mosquitoes are sluggish at 60* F, and downright immobile at 50* F, so there's no point in bringing a bugnet. It means a lot to me to lose seven ounces of bugnet (I'm using a BIAS NanoBuginator). And I lose it approximately 9 months out of the year.

Your mileage may vary in Texas. A bugnet may mean a lot more, and the Darien or WBBB might be just the ticket. However, I currently despise zippered bugnets now that I've gotten used to the Fronkey style. Spray it permethrin and you're all set! I just don't know if I can go back to zippers again - too traumatic.

The Darien will be lighter weight (less features) while the WBBB will weigh the most. All depends on what you value.

I could see a Dutch NylonD 1.6 hammock and Fronkey bugnet in your future, with Whoopie Hook suspension, for $79 and a Fronkey bugnet for $55 (the price just keeps creeping up, don't it?) or a total of $134.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.6/1.0
    Tarp
    WL Big D/HG Std CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I'm new at this but after buying a Thunderbird hammock. I'd say you might do better to buy just a plane hammock No built in bug net etc. With the exception of the Half Wit. This seems to be the way to experiment with Left or right lays adjustable ridge lines etc. Once you know what you like the best than you can order the perfect hammock for you.. Just my opinion

Hammock
    Nylon D
    Tarp
    winter w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    thanks silvrsurfr and mike.

Would it be necessary to order another whoopee suspension if i ordered the nylon d, or could i just switch the one i have coming out between both hammocks? this might be too much of a hassle, I'm not sure. Thanks for all the responses.

Silvrsurfr you definitely make a point about the fronkey bugnet. I see both of these in my near future for some odd reason. Still wondering if the explorer asym tarp will work with the 1.6 SL nylon d.
    Last edited by hudsonf47; 06-18-2015 at 23:07. Reason: sp

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast