Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks for the thread.... all this is awesome information.

I recently went to the local "Hobby Lobby" and bought out their entire stock (40-50 yds @ $2.00/yd) of Ripstop nylon for tarps, stuff sacs and the like. All I got was green, blue, yellow (ugly) and purple (double-ugly)

Here is my question:

What is really the difference between ripstop and sil nylon?

I have not done the water test yet, but my tarp seems to be fairly durable, but I dont think it qualifies as "silnylon"

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BaseKampChef View Post
    Silnylon is waterproof and it is primarily used make tarps, stuff sacks, stow bags, socks (or whatever the generic term is for Snackskins), etc.

Nylon is not waterproof, though it might appear to be if you just spray a bit of water on it. It is primarily used to make the hammock body and whatever those things are call that some folks wrap around their entire hammock to block wind, heat loss, etc. in the winter.

The easiest way to determine if what you have is waterproof is to place a piece of it across (not too tight) a large bowl and hold it in place with a large ruberband (or two). Then pour some water on the top and allow it to pool at 1-2" deep. If no water ends up in the bowl after 4+ hours later, it is waterproof. Well, waterproof enough to be used as a tarp. If you are still unsure, you can flip the fabric over and repeat the process. As sometimes, nylon is calendared and/or DWR'd (spray on coating) on one side which makes it fairly water resistant while it is still "new".
    Last edited by tlbj6142; 01-15-2010 at 08:14.
    Yellow Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post

The easiest way to determine if what you have is waterproof is to place a piece of it across (not too tight) a large bowl and hold it in place with a large ruberband (or two). Then pour some water on the top and allow it to pool at 1-2" deep. If no water ends up in the bowl after 4+ hours later, it is waterproof. Well, waterproof enough to be used as a tarp. If you are still unsure, you can flip the fabric over and repeat the process. As sometimes, nylon is calendared and/or DWR'd (spray on coating) on one side which makes it fairly water resistant while it is still "new".
    Thanks for the test steps. Would regular nylon and the spray-on waterproofing be a good combination? The items I bought at the Hobby Lobby were on Clearance and in other store, the same product was in the $6-7 /yd range so I took all I could get. I would hate it if it went to waste.

The amount I have should not run out for many years if I only use it for stuff sacs and items that don't need to be water proof. And the stuffsacs I plan on making are small... not for item that need water-proofing.

Thanks again for the tips.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BaseKampChef View Post
    Silnylon is ripstop nylon.

It has been "impregnated" with silicone, such that both sides are waterproof (there is no "right" side). It is extremely slippery and will not fray when you cut it.

It's really easy to mistake ripstop nylon with a DWR (durable water repellant) coating on it for silnylon until you get a handle on your fabrics. DWR will keep you dry for quite a while in moderate rain, but it does bleed through eventually.

The fray test will help. If you work at the edges and it frays, it's not silnylon.

Spray on waterproofing is more useful to give stuff that's already waterproof a bit of an extra boost. You'd need tons of spray for uncoated nylon to make it waterproof.

Do a search for "make your own silnylon" - there are a few threads where people have tried this with fairly good success.

That said - I think your best bet is to just get real silnylon. Call Noah Lamport - $3/yd for seconds.
    Last edited by sclittlefield; 01-15-2010 at 09:07. Reason: added info.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Thanks for the tip, sclittlefield. I will check out Noah and order some of the real stuff.

have a great weekend!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Call Noah Lamport - $3/yd for seconds.
    That's a great price! I just paid $6 a yard for seconds in blaze orange at Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics, but then that seems to be a hard-to-find color, so maybe I was lucky. I've ordered from them more than once and have been happy with the service.

Rain Man

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    seems to be a hard-to-find color,
    "Bright Orange" (whatever that means) happens to be one of the few colors Noah Lamport has in sock. They seem to have more dark colors and a few "bright" colors in stock (orange, red). Those in the middle (gray, tan, olive, etc.) are not always, if ever, in stock from what the sales rep told me. Though, several years ago, I did purchase 10 yards of gray/silver and 10 yards of yellow from NL. They yellow has seen the most use and it hasn't failed me to-date.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I should call them up again and see if they have any white in stock. Stealth snow camping

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I should call them up again and see if they have any white in stock. Stealth snow camping
    When I called last week, they did have white in stock.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I just ordered some "blackberry" from Noah. Guess what color that is....

... I'm now working on a purple ummm I mean blackberry, tarp!! Well it is a dark purple!

TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast