Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Two things - one, it's plenty strong for a tarp, I've got one made from the same stuff.

Two, why in the heck would you want an UQ made of sil? It wouldn't breathe.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd suggest 1 side sil, 1 side DWR or equivalent- just to maximize the down/dampness separation! HTH
    KM
    Ps don't worry- I was just being opportunistic; got a serious fabric acquistion habit to support...

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    I'd suggest 1 side sil, 1 side DWR or equivalent- just to maximize the down/dampness separation! HTH
    KM
    Ps don't worry- I was just being opportunistic; got a serious fabric acquistion habit to support...
    This is how I made my cold weather UQ. Bottom is a 30d camo ripstop - very lightly coated (but also very non-breathable), and top layer is very breathable 30d ripstop. This way the bottom layer cuts out all wind from disturbing the insulative properties of the UQ, as well as acts as a splash guard for the UQ itself.

I would only do this for an extreme cold weather UQ. I don't think it would be a great choice in warmer weather - as previously mentioned. No breathing could cause a lot of perspiration to build up.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Just now reading this thread. There's also silnylon for sale at Quest Outfitters, just fyi. I didn't see that anyone had mentioned them yet.
    NCP, thanks for mentioning Quest. They don't seem to get much press here on HF but they should. Kay is such a pleasure to deal with, I stopped using their online order form and just call her/them direct. Their service is impeccable and their prices are quite competitive
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    NCP, thanks for mentioning Quest. They don't seem to get much press here on HF but they should. Kay is such a pleasure to deal with, I stopped using their online order form and just call her/them direct. Their service is impeccable and their prices are quite competitive
    OH you just like them cause they got a big old purple tarp on their home page! Ha!

Top of the morning to you pal! Wet and cold here in the piedmont! Got any snow yet?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    OH you just like them cause they got a big old purple tarp on their home page! Ha!

Top of the morning to you pal! Wet and cold here in the piedmont! Got any snow yet?
    Just sleet, but I'm hopeful

PS - I love my Purple People Eater
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Just sleet, but I'm hopeful

PS - I love my Purple People Eater
    HEY it's your signature tarp man! Hope you get some snow! Have a great weekend! And I agree that's a great site to get material from ... even the non-purple stuff!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    MrsMustardman used the Noah Lamport sil to make her asym 12x10 winter tarp,

I am so glad I found this post.... I just finished my winter tarp and I've got it up in the back yard to test right now. I did put it on a scale and just about fainted...2 pounds 6oz's. Ok, I did use 1.9 silicone coated with a different color on the back than on the front, and the front is camo. I guess all that color resulted in a LOT of added weight!!! Great for car camping!! So I found Noah Lamport's number and called him. Ordered 10 yards of silnylon in what he called "blackberry" color. Does anyone have a clue what color that is??? Mr. Noah was sort of vague on his color discriptions. Ok, back to the tarp... mine is ridgeline length of 9' and about 10ish feet wide. I'm thinking that a little bit longer on the ridgeline would be better. On your 12x10, which is the ridgeline? Also, what is the weight? And it looks like from your picture that you have snakeskins... Can these be made from the tarp material too and then packed up into the backpack that way? Or do snakeskins need to be a netting kind of material? Do you have a cord ridgeline going from tree to tree(with the tarp either over or under it) or from tree to tarp? Thanks for the link to Noah Lamport, I'm now waiting on a slow mule to deliver my package And thanks for any info on weights and sizes of tarps...
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Her tarp is 26.9 ounces on our scale - the ridgeline length is 12 feet, and the tarp is 10 feet wide at its widest. Slightly narrower in the middle of the cat cuts.

The snakeskins are made from noseeum netting - it's pretty light, and allows some water through so the tarp has some small chance of drying if it is packed up wet. It takes a LONG time for this to happen though, so we prefer to pull the tarp out and let it dry outside the skins to prevent it from getting musty. Skins made from silnylon wouldn't breathe at all, though, so a wet tarp would definitely stay wet. I'm not sure what Tom makes his snakeskins from, but they aren't mesh, so it's not like it will ruin anything to use a non-mesh material for them. We just prefer the mesh.

I do my ridgelines tree to tarp, but that's mostly personal preference. I'll probably play with tree to tree at some point, but for now this works for me.

I also posted a thread with a few more details on her asymmetrical tarp design, if you're interested:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11440

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    thanks, and thanks for the link, I'd missed that one too!!

I'll be making my tarp even on both sides, I enter my hammock on whichever side I want or need to. I didn't realize that the blackbird was a one side entry and I can see how having the tarp larger on that side would be really nice. I'm also gonna be increasing my ridgeline length, my 9' one is too short for winter, can't hang my backpack under it. I like the line going tree to tree so I'm still gonna be playing around with making that work. And starting on some mesh (no-see-um) snake-skins. I load my tarp in my front pocket on my backpack (AARN) so I'll probably have to dry the tarp before packing it up to keep me from get to wet. Again thanks for the info.... it's got me going in the right direction to make a lighter, more effiecient tarp.
    TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast