Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie plans to thru hike the AT w/ Hammock

I'm planning a trip to thru hike the AT in 2016 and from my research hammocks seem like the best way to go. I've always used tents when camping so I'm completely new to this. I like what I've seen from Hennessy Hammocks tho I haven't settled on a model yet. I was thinking that I'd just use a pad and a sleeping bag but do you think this would keep me warm enough for the trip or most of it? Anything I should be aware of as a newb? Any tips or tricks would be welcomed. Have you hiked the AT w/ a hammock? If so, which one and what was your set up?

I am new to the hammock world too (so take tis for what its worth), but I have been backpacking a long time. First, I assume you are northbounding for your thru hike. I think you might be OK, but realize if you start in April like everyone else, it can still get pretty cool/cold at times those first couple of months as well as near the end in Maine. You will at least have to consider a couple different bags. The pad will be helpful if you want to go to ground or in a shelter. Considering the time and investment you are already putting into the trru hike, I would consider an underquilt as part of the system as well. Just MHO though.
    "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky

Hammock
    Dutch Custom NylonD 1.6 Dbl Layer
    Tarp
    Monster Fly 10x12'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Actually I'm planning the same thing for next year (also a newb) right now i'm planning on a 20* top quilt and under quilt. going to do a few shakedown runs this summer and adjust / tweak things as needed. also thinking about bringing a pad as a just in case i'm stuck in a shelter say in the smokies or something. but haven't decided for sure on that.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Contact Dutch..he hiked the AT using a hammock
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    My experience: Hennessy Deep Jungle would be a good way to go. The bottom is a double layer where you can slide a pad in, it zips closed, and the pad it comes with can serve as a template for a MYOG closed cell foam pad. I personally like pads 'cause they are cheap, they work, and they allow you the option to "go to ground" if that ever comes up. Lots of people don't like pads and will tell you so - and you may turn out to be one of those people and eventually want to go with an underquilt. On my thru attempt in 2008 I used both, but I also started in January.

I would recommend getting a tarp at least 6x10, but 8x10 is mo' better.

There are some great cottage gear makers here two that can build you essentially the same hammock as the Deep Jungle. You might look at those as well.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Before you leave in April for the AT, make sure you attend the 6th Annual Florida Hang being held at the Doe Lake Recreation Area in the Ocala National Forest in January. Its the largest gathering of hammock enthusiasts in the world and just an hour or two from Gainesville. You'll be able to try out just about any hammock made there. Hope to see you there!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Your problem as I see it is testing the hammock in colder weather since you live in Florida. I started using a hammock mid-summer last year (i.e. when it was relatively warm out) and was perfectly fine from an insulation point of view (lowest night was 42º). Had everything dialed in, tried about 5 or 6 hammocks, and several underquilts, and finally decided on what I liked the best. I was in heaven.

This year, when I started camping earlier than I had ever camped, not so much luck. I was cold (mostly my feet). Even had some friendly experienced hammockers check and adjust everything for me while I was laying in the hammock to no avail. Things seem to be good now, but what I'm saying is it takes time to dial in your system, and it gets incrementally harder when it's cold out (which is what you'll be experiencing on the trail). Best of luck but I would be prepared for some trial and tribulations until you can dial in your own system.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You might want to do some research reading up on trail journals of people from this forum who've hiked the AT.

I've never hiked more than an a 2 day trip on the AT, and it was all in Northern Virginia and Maryland, where trees are plentiful.

I may be wrong, and some vets can shed some light on this where I cant, but you may want to check the tree availability once you get into the mountains in NH and ME. That might be an area where a tarp tent or regular tent might serve you better, but, again, you might want to check on that, I don't know for sure.

A hammock is the way to go though. No muddy ground. No laying on rocks. Way more comfortable than a shelter floor.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

I read more than I post and am still researching which hammock I'm going to get. I would definitely recommend doing some test runs for a day or two before starting your trip. My brother just started his from Harper's Ferry, WV and is heading south, he didn't plan too well or do a test run and is learning the hard way. After one night he was complaining because he didn't realize he needed carabiners to attach his hammock and got into a fight with a racoon. I'm currently just sitting back and enjoying the train wreck as he's discovering how ill prepared he is (both physically and supply wise). I'm not sure what the policy is for links to other sites but if you want I could probably PM you his site where he says he will be posting updates so you can learn what not to do.

As others have mentioned I think your biggest obstacle will be getting properly prepared for the cold. Best of luck with trip, I hope it goes well and you have fun.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    You will need to sleep in the shelters in the GSNP so you will need to a pad there but that is a small percentage of the trip. I started with HH since it is a system but I'm upgrading to a Dream Hammock and a UGQ tarp. The HH is a bit heavy and doesn't give you a lot of flexibility. If you hlave the budget you should read a lot and build your system up using the cottage vendors to taylor your setup to you. UGQ has a rental program so you can test a Dream Hammock and UGQ gear.

http://undergroundquilts.com/rentals/default.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast