Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    You may have to sleep in shelters. However, if you are hiking through during thru-hiker season the rule is thru-hikers can tent or hammock within sight of the shelter if the shelter is full. My strategy is to hang back and not claim shelter space until the shelter fills up, and trust me it will fill up when the pack is coming through the Smokys. The only drawback is the shelter does have the potential to not fill up and then you are stuck staying in it to follow the rule.

That said. Some hammockers I know are doing the BMT through the park to avoid shelters and the crowds that come with them.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WBBB, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20*,UGQ 20*FJ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    You might want to do some research reading up on trail journals of people from this forum who've hiked the AT.

I've never hiked more than an a 2 day trip on the AT, and it was all in Northern Virginia and Maryland, where trees are plentiful.

I may be wrong, and some vets can shed some light on this where I cant, but you may want to check the tree availability once you get into the mountains in NH and ME. That might be an area where a tarp tent or regular tent might serve you better, but, again, you might want to check on that, I don't know for sure.

A hammock is the way to go though. No muddy ground. No laying on rocks. Way more comfortable than a shelter floor.
    I live in Maine and just did a 3 night trip in the 100 mile woods. I used a tent on this trip because I thought the skeeters would drive me nuts (they weren't bad, permithrin helped). I kept looking at my surroundings to see how well a hammock would work on the trail. No shortage of trees to hang from , especially if you had to stealth camp if you got caught between shelter areas.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    20 top and bottom ought to work great. Have you considered something like a Yeti with a short pad for the legs? I use half a Z-Lite Sol - that way on the ground or in a shelter you have a little something (r 2.6, I think) for your torso and a wicked cool sitpad for only about 5 oz.

One other idea: between now and when you start your thru: every time the weather gets really crappy - cold, rainy, dark, etc... - go out and practice setting up your system in a really crummy spot!
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I lived in Florida most of my life and have been using my Hennessy Hammock (HH) for about 6 years now. I've also backpacked about 300+ miles of the AT through various trips from Hot Springs to middle Virginia. I've also done lots of the Mountains To Sea Trail. I guess I'm trying to say that I've been out there enough to have done a lot of the wrong things and learned from some them (hopefully). I'm also doing a 70 mile section from Springer Mtn here in two weeks (rather excited).

Lessons I've learned:

1) Anything below 60° requires an under quilt (UQ) or Super Shelter (SS). On a recent trip I thought it wouldn't be bad at 55°, and found myself a chilled that night. I survived easily, but definitely had cold spots. I've since picked up a 40 degree UQ (Hammock Gear Rocks!), and it has made the world of difference. I now have a 0° UQ, 20° UQ and a 40° UQ for those specific conditions. They're pricey options but they're very effective. You could (IMO) absolutely get away with one single 20° UQ and do the entire trip (open it up to vent for the warmer temps). Note: the SS does work, but I wouldn't take it below the 40s. This depends on if you sleep warm/cold. But for me, 40s was the limit.

2) Pads suck. They're cheaper, and they do work when you're actually on the thing, but I just found myself adjusting too many dang times throughout the night to stay on it. However, this does depend on your hammock and configuration. The dual walled Dream Hammock (there are others) might work perfectly well and keep the pad in place. I just personally haven't been able to try this configuration yet.

3) Hammocks matter. My wife had a Clark Jungle Hammock and she swore that she never was cold in it (and she's a super cold sleeper anyway). However, she also said she never was super comfortable because she couldn't lay flat. This couldn't have been simply because she didn't know how to lay in the hammock properly, but it didn't seem as wide as say my HH. Do a lot of research, show up at a few hangs if possible and touch/feel/lay in as many as you can. I've been looking for something as well and have even recently ordered a Dream Hammock. Almost feel like I'm cheating on my HH :-). But I wanted something lighter with more options than the HH. While still serviceable, it has definitely seen better days. I even tried the Hyperlite HH, but didn't really care for the feel -- always felt a bit cramped (and I'm 5'10" @ 173lbs).

4) AT hanging. From the 1/7th or so I've seen of the AT (i.e. limited), I've ALWAYS found a place to hang my hammock. Sgt Rock gave some excellent suggestions of how to get around having to stay in the shelters in the GSMNP. Realize that being in a hammock gives you an amazing freedom that tenters don't have. If you're resourceful and don't mind walking a few extra yards, you'll definitely be able to always find a spot to hang your hammock.

5) Don't think you can get away with a super-duper sleeping bag alone. I don't care if it's a -40 degree bag that's down/synthetic/goat/llama/whatever -- it just doesn't insulate like something on the under side of your hammock wall.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by allinwitad View Post
    ... Have you hiked the AT w/ a hammock? If so, which one and what was your set up?
    This thru-hiker describes his hammock setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTft2mLI0k

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I was trying to lighten my load and increased comfort when I first looked at hammocks. The HH were a bit on the heavy side and I wanted more tarp coverage.

I like to hike in the Whites in NH and it can get cold, windy, and wet there any time of the year. I use a partial underquilt and a torso pad under my legs and that works fairly well, though I would love to try a full underquilt.

I have got stuck in shelters in NH, so it is good to have a ground option even if it is not super comfortable. The underquilt on a z-rest or similar with my top quilt works well in the shelters, but doesn't compared to sleeping in the hammock. The torso pad is my sit pad as well.

Down south, no problems hanging except as mentioned above.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
    I lived in Florida most of my life and have been using my Hennessy Hammock (HH) for about 6 years now. I've also backpacked about 300+ miles of the AT through various trips from Hot Springs to middle Virginia. I've also done lots of the Mountains To Sea Trail. I guess I'm trying to say that I've been out there enough to have done a lot of the wrong things and learned from some them (hopefully). I'm also doing a 70 mile section from Springer Mtn here in two weeks (rather excited).

Lessons I've learned:

1) Anything below 60° requires an under quilt (UQ) or Super Shelter (SS). On a recent trip I thought it wouldn't be bad at 55°, and found myself a chilled that night. I survived easily, but definitely had cold spots. I've since picked up a 40 degree UQ (Hammock Gear Rocks!), and it has made the world of difference. I now have a 0° UQ, 20° UQ and a 40° UQ for those specific conditions. They're pricey options but they're very effective. You could (IMO) absolutely get away with one single 20° UQ and do the entire trip (open it up to vent for the warmer temps). Note: the SS does work, but I wouldn't take it below the 40s. This depends on if you sleep warm/cold. But for me, 40s was the limit.

2) Pads suck. They're cheaper, and they do work when you're actually on the thing, but I just found myself adjusting too many dang times throughout the night to stay on it. However, this does depend on your hammock and configuration. The dual walled Dream Hammock (there are others) might work perfectly well and keep the pad in place. I just personally haven't been able to try this configuration yet.

3) Hammocks matter. My wife had a Clark Jungle Hammock and she swore that she never was cold in it (and she's a super cold sleeper anyway). However, she also said she never was super comfortable because she couldn't lay flat. This couldn't have been simply because she didn't know how to lay in the hammock properly, but it didn't seem as wide as say my HH. Do a lot of research, show up at a few hangs if possible and touch/feel/lay in as many as you can. I've been looking for something as well and have even recently ordered a Dream Hammock. Almost feel like I'm cheating on my HH :-). But I wanted something lighter with more options than the HH. While still serviceable, it has definitely seen better days. I even tried the Hyperlite HH, but didn't really care for the feel -- always felt a bit cramped (and I'm 5'10" @ 173lbs).

4) AT hanging. From the 1/7th or so I've seen of the AT (i.e. limited), I've ALWAYS found a place to hang my hammock. Sgt Rock gave some excellent suggestions of how to get around having to stay in the shelters in the GSMNP. Realize that being in a hammock gives you an amazing freedom that tenters don't have. If you're resourceful and don't mind walking a few extra yards, you'll definitely be able to always find a spot to hang your hammock.

5) Don't think you can get away with a super-duper sleeping bag alone. I don't care if it's a -40 degree bag that's down/synthetic/goat/llama/whatever -- it just doesn't insulate like something on the under side of your hammock wall.

Good luck!
    I was thinking making a bug net setup thay can double as a triangular light weight tent. You could build the bug net with attachments on the side to pin to the groundn about use you hiking poles for the tarp and to pull the middle and the sides off your face. That way, you can lay on ground if you want. What kept me from doingit wastrying to finda way to althering an uq/tq to wrap around my body so I don't need to pack a down sleeping bag.

Any ideas anyone? This cod help you have flexibility on AT
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubahhh View Post
    20 top and bottom ought to work great. Have you considered something like a Yeti with a short pad for the legs? I use half a Z-Lite Sol - that way on the ground or in a shelter you have a little something (r 2.6, I think) for your torso and a wicked cool sitpad for only about 5 oz.

One other idea: between now and when you start your thru: every time the weather gets really crappy - cold, rainy, dark, etc... - go out and practice setting up your system in a really crummy spot!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12