Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Bears need to associate humans with pain.

Once saw a report that rangers at Yellowstone harass bears with non-lethal slugs.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    I hear bear is delicious.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Bears need to associate humans with pain.

Once saw a report that rangers at Yellowstone harass bears with non-lethal slugs.
    A poorly placed non-lethal round resulted in bear death so that they were then outlawed. Spud guns were then used without the brass being notified.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boulder View Post
    ... Spud guns were then used ...
    Isn't shooting food at the bear kinda' sending the wrong message? <slingblade>mmm-mm fresh fired 'taters</slingblade>

Hammock
    Snugpak Jungle w/Mosquito net
    Tarp
    Hennessy D/W Hex
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    WOW I hope he's ok ,Not too offen but just like crazy people there will be that one crazy bear that doesnt get the memo. Be careful, be safe and know stuff does happen even if you do everything right . Shame , Prayers

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    And now at the other side of our state we have shark attacks. Here in the Piedmont it's ticks we worry about.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vxjester View Post
    I think the better question is how many people didnt do everything right before they came a long. I bet that bear was a habitual visitor to the campsite.
    OR, maybe its the proliferation of hikers/campers in bear territory properly hanging their food, which a bear may not be able to get to, but they can still smell it no matter how well protected. Not to mention that such odors are disbursed throughout bear territory by being hoisted high into the breeze. Scents are going to carry as far if only at ground level (typically).

Or, maybe its just random.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    The impression I have gotten is that the father was brave and the young man is recovering nicely so that's the good news.Not trying to guess anything about how the victim smelled to the bear.Had it been me in his place the bear would have likely smelled some hand sanitizer,40% Deet on some clothing,and some citronella based skeeter repellent on my ears and hands etc.The question I have is how much odors from sanitizers and repellents would attract a bear.It's my understanding the even Chapstick and toothpaste can so is there really anything out there that doesn't?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    The impression I have gotten is that the father was brave and the young man is recovering nicely so that's the good news.Not trying to guess anything about how the victim smelled to the bear.Had it been me in his place the bear would have likely smelled some hand sanitizer,40% Deet on some clothing,and some citronella based skeeter repellent on my ears and hands etc.The question I have is how much odors from sanitizers and repellents would attract a bear.It's my understanding the even Chapstick and toothpaste can so is there really anything out there that doesn't?
    The bear would associate any human smell with food. All of those smells you listed would be around the permanent campsite. In fact, there would be a concentration of smells at that site after a few hundred people have slept there.

The problem is with the campsite. It concentrates human activity, and the associated smells and tastes, in one spot that rewards the bear with food almost every time he visits.

EDIT TO ADD:

It is possible (if not probable) that the good habits of these guys is what got the bear looking for food under a tarp with a person under it after not finding it elsewhere at the campsite.
    Last edited by sargevining; 06-17-2015 at 16:43.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Let me rephrase the question.How much of an attractant would citronella based repellent be vs.Deet based repellents?
    Citronella smells sorta "fruity" to me but I am not a bear so how would I know?!

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast