Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNorm View Post
    As climate change stress on bear habitat leaves bears starved I believe increasing bear-human incidents are inevitable.
    I would think that people living close to bears and encroaching on the borders of GSMNP has a whole lot more to do with it. There's a lot of bears on the Smokies and the population continues to climb, and that's because their habitat continues to provide more than adequate food.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That is scary!! Who knows if a tent would have been better, or worse. Maybe in this one particular instance, with this particular bear, a certain color of fabric, size, height off the ground, etc could have affected it's decision to be aggressive? Maybe a tent would have looked "more difficult" to attack compared to a hammock...or more man-made to where the bear was less attracted. Of course the bear isn't contemplating this in his mind. So many what if's though. Impossible to know for sure.
    With food being hung in sacks....does the bear see any hanging sack as a food opportunity including a Hammock...
    I assume these 2 were hanging without a tarp...maybe the tarp is a plus as it removes the hanging food bag look?????

I do not think we will ever be able to say do this or that and still assure safety. Bears in differing Habitats can and will develop differing Habits related to there surroundings and we just have to give some serious thought to how we function within those habitats

In these parts we have Grizz and that is one nasty wild card.
    Life is a risk but do NOT let it stop you from living here and now
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Just saw a new story (headline, did not read) about a bear charging a family in MI. Their dog scared it away

Edit: I read it...found out the dog died Poor little guy!

Tarp
    Ghetto Tarp
    Insulation
    Squirrels
    This is the reason usually hang alone and I always sneak out and put barbecue sauce on the bottom of whoever is hanging around me.

I saw bear spray mentioned but it wouldn't of done anything to prevent the attack. I doubt the kid ever knew it was coming until the first bite. Actually 100 yards of fishing line and a few beer cans with rocks in them would've probably prevented this. You have a lot better chance of preventing or defending yourself in an attack if the attack happens while you're awake.
    "Acorns were good until bread was found."
    Francis Bacon

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by hang em high View Post
    This is the reason usually hang alone and I always sneak out and put barbecue sauce on the bottom of whoever is hanging around me.

I saw bear spray mentioned but it wouldn't of done anything to prevent the attack. I doubt the kid ever knew it was coming until the first bite. Actually 100 yards of fishing line and a few beer cans with rocks in them would've probably prevented this. You have a lot better chance of preventing or defending yourself in an attack if the attack happens while you're awake.
    My father-in-law strings fishing line with bells around his beehives. Might not be the worst idea to set up a perimeter around your hammock. I'm sure I would get caught up in it during the nightly trip to pee, but probably worth it. My wife is trying to get me to carry a side-arm with me know when I camp. Pros and cons to this approach, but I am considering it. She said that you can be armed in the Smokies now. Is that correct?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hang em high View Post
    Actually 100 yards of fishing line and a few beer cans with rocks in them would've probably prevented this. You have a lot better chance of preventing or defending yourself in an attack if the attack happens while you're awake.
    i bought a large spool of zing-it to use for this purpose, but haven't gotten around to actually doing it. now i'm thinking it's time. instead of beer cans, my plan was to hook it up to one of these. it's loud enough to scare away a bear 5 miles away
    www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BCL66Y

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    While I have sympathy for the young man and his father I wonder if he was sleeping in the same clothes he cooked and ate in.
    That's a great question. I'm still new to primitive camping and wouldn't have thought of this. Maybe spilled something or camped too close to where they had eaten? No matter what the reason, it's scary and I wish it upon no one. It is good to hear things are stable. And on a positive note, at the boy's age, i hear chicks dig scars and he has one hell of a story!

Prayers to the whole family

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The fact that they caught it when it returned to the campsite is an indication that the bad conduct of earlier visitors had habituated him to the site.

But their bad conduct is easily explained as being due to the effects of Global Warming.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    looking
    Suspension
    Amsteel/speedhook
    But their bad conduct is easily explained as being due to the effects of Global Warming.
    lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast