Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images

The right coverage?

A little while ago I bought a Dutch 11' poly D hammock now I'm looking for a hex tarp that will fit. I live at 7200' and we get heavy summer T-storms.
    So any thoughts on make and size? Thax.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The length of your tarp only needs to be about 12" longer than the ridgeline length of your hammock. If you are looking for more space under your hammock you get a longer and wider tarp. Many hammock tarps are 11' in length and that will accommodate the majority of hammocks.

As for hex tarps, there are bigger ones and smaller ones. Warbonnet Outdoors makes a couple, Wilderness Logics makes a couple, as does Underground Quilts and many of the hammock vendors on here. In reality, getting a tarp from any of the hammock vendors here will get you a quality product.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps
    I have a Hennessey Hexfly that has a 12' ridgeline. It works for me and sounds like it would for you sizewise as well.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd go for a Superfly.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    More information would be helpful as it depends on your preferences for weight, cost, bulk, etc. Based on the heavy thunderstorm comment I'd look at the Warbonnet Superfly that SilverSurfr suggested as it has built in doors. If you want to save a little weight a Warbonnet Mamajamba is basically the Superfly without doors and it should have ample coverage as well. Wilderness Logics makes some nice tarps as well; their Bullfrog tarp is similar to the Mamajamba but you get the option to choose your ridgeline length. I'd stick with at least an 11' ridgeline with an 11' hammock. There are smaller/lighter options like the Warbonnet Edge or Wilderness Logics Tadpole but for heavy thunderstorms they don't have quite as much coverage. If you really want weight savings, I'd look at a Cuben Fiber tarp like the Hammock Gear Winter Palace. That tarp is similar in dimensions to the Superfly but weighs about half as much. Be prepared to pay for the weight savings if you decide to go that route. Let us know what you decide.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'd go for a Superfly.
    Another vote for the Superfly. More so than thunderstorms, at your elevation, you have more to be concerned about with wind, thunderstorms or not. Definitely a tarp with doors, and the Superfly is about the best value IMO. I love the extra length of my Toxaway, but its not needed with doors. The Superfly can really be cranked down tight, too.

There are other hex tarps out there, and all good ones, but almost all are a little bit more expensive and/or heavier (though not by much).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Another vote for the Superfly. More so than thunderstorms, at your elevation, you have more to be concerned about with wind, thunderstorms or not. Definitely a tarp with doors, and the Superfly is about the best value IMO. I love the extra length of my Toxaway, but its not needed with doors. The Superfly can really be cranked down tight, too.

There are other hex tarps out there, and all good ones, but almost all are a little bit more expensive and/or heavier (though not by much).
    I completely agree with the wind protection and the value of the Superfly. Most of the time my tarp is either in porch mode high enough that I can stand up under it (I'm 6'1"), or still in the skins above my hammock. The only time I feel the need to crank the tarp down low and tight is for wind protection or serious rainstorms. Wind will rob you of a lot of heat and the Superfly with its doors will really help limit how much can get to you if you pitch it right. IMHO the Superfly is about the best value full coverage tarp out there. It is a great combination of size/weight/coverage/versatility and a very fair price.

• + New Posts