DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by brokentree View Post
    Anyone thinking of the "Chrissy mod" (the little pocket addition for a spreader bar), here is a better idea:

You don't need an entire "sleeve", just 2 little pockets at the distance you want to spread the net too.

Lay in your hammock with the net drooping down, then just point up to where you think the bar should go and mark those spots.

Instead of sewing in an entire sleeve (which is hard to run a stick through), just sew a little pocket in each location.

This way, you just have to get the spreader bar (stick) into both pockets, and not need to feed it through anything, which is hard to do on such little fabric.

The center of the stick will rest on the ridge line, so I don't think you need a loop in between the pockets, but I wont be sure until I can get the next net made.
    That's a great solution!
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    The stick idea is neat. The Velcro I gave up on. Was making all mine with it so it could slide over quilts etc. The Velcro is hard on the netting, but the main thing is it takes up space. Doesn't compress or fold well.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    The spreader bar pocket is genius. I'm debating a new bug net myself, and I think I will incorporate that feature into mine.

I am going to go with the crowd and agree this spreader bar idea is genius! I am making my father a full sleep system for his birthday this year and I am for sure going to mess around with putting a channel, or loops, or something to keep the bugnet off his face. What have you decided is a good length for the spreader bar and where exactly along the ridgeline do you make the channel?

To figure out where the spreader bar goes, just lay down in the hammock and bugnet and point to place it where you think it should go. I did that and my wife just pinned those two spots.

One thing to note: don't make it too long! I noticed it was interfering a little bit with my rain tarp (or my tarp was too low), so don't go crazy on the width. It would probably be a good idea to setup your tarp when doing the "pointing".

Thank ya thank ya!

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by brokentree View Post
    Anyone thinking of the "Chrissy mod" (the little pocket addition for a spreader bar), here is a better idea:

You don't need an entire "sleeve", just 2 little pockets at the distance you want to spread the net too.

Lay in your hammock with the net drooping down, then just point up to where you think the bar should go and mark those spots.

Instead of sewing in an entire sleeve (which is hard to run a stick through), just sew a little pocket in each location.

This way, you just have to get the spreader bar (stick) into both pockets, and not need to feed it through anything, which is hard to do on such little fabric.

The center of the stick will rest on the ridge line, so I don't think you need a loop in between the pockets, but I wont be sure until I can get the next net made.
    I think the pocket is a better idea simply because it would be easier to find a random stick for. With the two pockets you have to find a stick the right size, then hope is doesn't accidentally snap while bending it to fit in the pockets. That's just my opinion though.

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    You could probably use one or two of the poles that are used for the tarp mod to make this work. I have the small 13" poles so maybe two of them would work?? I need to make a bug net for my upcoming week at scout camp, hopefully I can incorporate this idea in.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    The two spreader bars on my Switchback are 22". They sewed a row of grosgrain ribbon at each end of the net (there's shock cording that are like an end Ridgelines.) There are small pockets at each end of the ribbon to insert the tips of the bars. This is an integrated net hammock. Spreaders are REALLY nice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12