Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New bugnet with mods

Probably nothing new here except the pocket, but thought I'd share.

This is a bugnet my wife made for me:

net.jpg

Pretty standard "fronky" style with some changes.

The right side (which is the foot end for me) is velcro'd all the way up:

velcro.jpg
    red_end.jpg

Which lets me do this:

half_open.jpg

and this:

tossed_over.jpg

and this:

pulled_back.jpg

without having to undo suspension.

Right now, there are just "pockets" on the hem so in the field I can weight it down with some rocks (not original as I've seen this else where).

What I think is original to this is:

another_pocket.jpg

Again, in the field I plan to find a stick and slide it in:
    with_support.jpg

The view from the inside:
    in_support.jpg

This keeps the bugnet apart about shoulder width at the ridge line so it isn't all drooping into my face.

It works very well and gives me the sense of a lot more room inside since I have a very high "ceiling" while I'm laying in the hammock.

I'll call this the "Chrissy" mod!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I like it! Having velcro up the side let's you pull it back out of your way, kind of like the tube bugnets with a cordlock opening at one end. The rock pockets will come in handy in a gusty wind. And, I really like the spreader bar! I have a Switchback hammock and the best feature of it is the spread out bugnet. Well done!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Those are some awesome ideas. I'm going to copy the pocket for the stick when I make my bugnet...

What is the weight with the velcro?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Love the spreader mod! It's definitely going into my next bugnet...I have used a small piece of Velcro ( 3-4 in) up at the opening to make it easier to pass the hammock suspension thru. I use that to peel the bugnet back but have to disconnect the suspension to make it so.... Have you had an issue with the Velcro snagging the netting?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I like the stick idea! I nay have to add that. I wonder if three shock cord loops sewn on would be easier. Tgen you won't have to try and thread a bumpy bark covered stick through the pocket.

The hard side of the velcro does stick to the net sometimes, but honestly I don't make a specific effort to make sure it's closed...it just hangs there and eventually closes by itself. The bug "seal" really happens between the net and where it touches the uq or hammock.

I'll weigh it when I get back home, but I think the green and red fabric ends add the most weight, but that isn't terribly important to me.

Another mod for the next round is to make the green end part big enough to also be a stuff sack for storage.

You probably can't tell in the pictures, but those colored ends have shock cord pulling them shut. While the red end opens completely, the green end doesn't split open with velcro, but I can loosen it enough to pull all my suspension through, unlike my other fronky-style. On the fronky one, I have to remove my cinch buckles to pull the continues loop through the mesh bugnet.

Since I have more hammocks than bugnets, this comes up a lot for me.

Also, someone mentioned shock cord for my "pocket": I don't think that would work well because there would be nothing to stop the shock cords from just sliding down the stick towards the ridge line, though physics my prove me wrong.

My sleeve has little pockets on each end for the stick. This will prevent the bugnet from collapsing together again due to motion.

However, the "bumping bark" comment is right on. I'll have to widdle down a stick nice and smooth as every attempt this morning caused a snag. I used a plastic coat hanger and even the pointy end kept getting stuck. But sitting around a camp fire widdling a stick sounds relaxing!

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Very nice. Very nice.
    I'd rather be hanging.

The whole thing weighs 6.4oz

Anyone thinking of the "Chrissy mod" (the little pocket addition for a spreader bar), here is a better idea:

You don't need an entire "sleeve", just 2 little pockets at the distance you want to spread the net too.

Lay in your hammock with the net drooping down, then just point up to where you think the bar should go and mark those spots.

Instead of sewing in an entire sleeve (which is hard to run a stick through), just sew a little pocket in each location.

This way, you just have to get the spreader bar (stick) into both pockets, and not need to feed it through anything, which is hard to do on such little fabric.

The center of the stick will rest on the ridge line, so I don't think you need a loop in between the pockets, but I wont be sure until I can get the next net made.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    Paria Sanctuary
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ, Drop TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies+straps
    If I'm fishing while camping (like in the BWCA this summer), I'd break down my two-piece fishing rod and use the tip half as my stick. I'd have to ensure the guides could fit into the sleeve/pocket.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast