DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by hodad View Post
    Just leave the Clamashield inside the two layers of you hammock and there is no need for a covering.
    Has anyone else done this? Does the compression of laying on it impact the insulation value at all? Sounds easier to do, this is just the first time that I have seen it.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamper Kurt View Post
    Has anyone else done this? Does the compression of laying on it impact the insulation value at all? Sounds easier to do, this is just the first time that I have seen it.
    There should be almost no compression of laying for any UQ you can think about when it is made and hang properly (either on a gathered end hammock or a bridge hammock). This is the reason why hammock hangers use an UQ instead of an non-breathable pad but almost all hang it below the hammock and do not sandwich it between two hammock layers. There it will lose almost all insulation value. Not the CS material alone causes the warmth the air which get caught by the CS and gets heat up by the body temperature provides the warmth. Same with downs. If you compress downs then you will not feel any warmth which comes from the downs by itself.

The only thing you can try and makes sense if you make the outer layer of your hammock a bit longer and wider with some sort of a differential cut. Then you have something like a single layer hammock with a sewn in UQ. Another similar solution would be if you sew the UQ on the outer layer of your hammock. I think a lot of people have already tried something like this. You can also buy some hammocks which use such a technique.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Just go get you some Climashield 6.0 from Dutchware while he is still selling it for $12 a yard and you'll be good to the temps you want and probably a little better.
    Bill

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    I made a mistake this is Primaloft, 2 layers. It does retain some R under the compression of my WBBB double layer. When it's around 50F I just use a 17 inch reflective cozy under the butt. I also use this on my gathered end single layer multi day summer rig (UQ=4.9oz, Dutch 10 ft poly D hammock/fronkey DIY bug net/kevlar straps/dynaglide whoopies = ~17-18 oz total) .

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Unless you leave it in there full time, this sounds like a recipe for some very dirty climashield. This stuff pics up dirt and debris like crazy. I'd assume you'd eventually want to remove it from your hammock. If you do so in the field, you'll likely impregnate your snowy-white and fluffy climashield with twigs and sticks and dirt and other nasty. Then you will rip it shreds trying to pick it all out. Just my .02.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    When y'all talk about using CS, how many layers are ya using? Is there a standard, yet unspoken, number of layers that is commonly used?
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    When y'all talk about using CS, how many layers are ya using? Is there a standard, yet unspoken, number of layers that is commonly used?
    IMHO, I don't think it matters. I'd go with the best cost that gets me to the range I want. Is it 2 layers of 3.6 or 1 layer of 7.5? I typically go with one layer, because....we'll I'm lazy and don't want to deal with 2 layers, if I don't have to. Also, it always seems to be the cheaper option.
    Bill

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkerber View Post
    I'd go with the best cost that gets me to the range I want.
    That is what I am trying to figure out, how much Apex gets me down to what temps? Doesn't matter to me whether we discuss it in terms of inches of loft or layers of CS.

Is it 2 layers of 3.6 or 1 layer of 7.5?
    Doesn't matter to me either whether it is a single layer or multiple. What does matter is that after I've sewn up my DIY UQs they are warm down to about the temps I intended them for. Doesn't seem to be any hard data on that. Some of the UQ builds show three layers. Some show one layer. By the weight and bulk listed for some of the UQs made by cottage vendors, I can make educated guesses. Rather not guess though.

Picked up some CS Apex 3.6 and 6.0 plus some Argon during the recent Dutch sale. Looking to make an UQ for 30F-50F and another for 10F-30F. Will two layers of 3.6 work for the former and two layers of the 6.0 work for the latter? If so, better to sew one layer of Apex to the inner shell and the other to the outer shell, then sew the shells together?

I typically go with one layer, because....we'll I'm lazy and don't want to deal with 2 layers, if I don't have to. Also, it always seems to be the cheaper option.
    Makes sense to me!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    From Ripstopbytheroll website. I think this is a little optimistic for myself. I made a 5.0 quilt set and it would probably be good for me to about 35° wearing a light baselayer. Their comments say the rating is subject to several variables of which the most significant variable is how hot or cold of a sleeper you are.

The ultimate temp rating of a quilt or apparel is subject to several variables, but as a rough guide, the following temperature ratings can be expected when using single-layers of Climashield® APEX insulation:

2.5 oz - 50° F
    3.6 oz - 40° F
    5.0 oz - 30° F
    7.5 oz - 10° F
    Bill

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    You sir, are a rock star!! Thank you so very much. Was dreading the prospect of finishing my DIY UQs only to end up ripping them apart and adding more CS then resewing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast