HG CF+doors
    Insulation
    down UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    simple

Question for Dutch regarding the Half-Wit hammock

Dutch,

A long-term customer of yours here....

I ordered your Half-Wit hammock, and received it 4 days later.
    My decision to order it was partially based on its dimensions, specifically - the length.

You specify this hammock on your web site as "Hammock bodies are ...10.5 ft long".
    However, I measured it at precisely 11' (132") long - whip loop to whip loop. Before haning, no stretch. And I know how to measure a hammock, it is not my first one....

The fixed ridgeline you provide measures 105" long, which made the hammock quite a bit saggy to my taste. But this is not important since I can fix it.
    What is important is the discrepancy between your dimensional claim and actual size of the end product.

So please, clarify for me, for this hammocking community - and for posterirty - what did you mean by marketing it as a "10.5 ft long". I am curious to learn what adjustments I need to apply from now on when reading product specs on your web site. Perhaps others would benefit from this insight as well.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Your hammock was suppose to be 10.5 feet long. Email me at [email protected] and I will replace it with one that is the correct length.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IK_ View Post
    I measured it at precisely 11' (132") long - whip loop to whip loop. Before haning, no stretch. And I know how to measure a hammock, it is not my first one....
    IK, Would you mind answering a couple of questions, as I have been very interested in this particular hammock.

1) You state that you measured the hammock whip loop to whip loop, in dutch's video and in his description the hammock is shown to have and stated to have continuous loops on the ends. I thought these loops attached to the sewn channel as the video appears to show. So is the hammock ends whipped or are the continuous loops rand thru a sewn channel?

2) Did you include the length of the continuous loops when you measured the hammock? I do not have extensive measuring hammocks, and I would not have included the continuous loops when measuring a hammock body as the continuous loops do not appear to actually be a part of the hammock body.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    dw
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    several
    Tarp
    HG CF+doors
    Insulation
    down UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    simple
    @ Dutch:

Email sent.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, as I foolishly assumed that you have reasons to market these hammocks as 10.5-foot long while in fact manufacturing them with 11-foot long bodies.
    Otherwise, I would have asked this question directly and not here in the forums....
    Thanks for the exchange offer!

@ dirtwheels:

1) You are correct, this hammock has channels with continuous loops inside. These loops were what I called "whip loop" as I was too lazy to type "continuous"....
    2) I did not include the length of the continuous loops. I considered only the length as measured along either longitudinal edge of the hammock, from loop to loop precisely at the spots where the attached ridgeline contacts these where they exit the channels. (Similarly, on a hammock without a ridgeline I measure at the spots where loops exit the channels.)
    Hope this answers your questions.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    This certainly peaked my interest, so...I took out my half-wit, undid the continuous loops, took off the ridge line, got a tape measure and measured up my hammock. At this point I was exhausted and disappointed in the results I found. My hammock was exactly 10'6".

By chance, Dutch, did you sneakily place an 11' hammock in there on purpose as another contest? Perhaps the winner gets a free sticker?
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    This certainly peaked my interest, so...I took out my half-wit, undid the continuous loops, took off the ridge line, got a tape measure and measured up my hammock. At this point I was exhausted and disappointed in the results I found. My hammock was exactly 10'6".

By chance, Dutch, did you sneakily place an 11' hammock in there on purpose as another contest? Perhaps the winner gets a free sticker?

Yeah, in this contest the finder of the 11 footer gets another hammock for free, wow.
    I gotta give Dutch alot of credit for even wanting to be in a buisness that deals with so many people everyday, it seems like no matter how fair and up front honest as he is people still call him out in public forum for any little mix up they can find.
    A six inch overcut on a hammock could have easily been resovled in a private email, just seems more respectful to a vendor who defimitly has earned that right.
    But this is just my opinion

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    This is nothing new guys, its retail. You dont get into retail without expecting this. Im positive Dutch can handle it.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer View Post
    This is nothing new guys, its retail. You dont get into retail without expecting this. Im positive Dutch can handle it.
    Having been in retail for over 15 years I can second this. You have to have thick skin to be in this business.

• + New Posts