Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face RE: Retired, and looking for lightweight backpacking

Hello to all of you here....
    I am newly retired, 5' tall, single woman,....looking for easy backpacking hammock system....lightweight...AND easy.....so I thought I'd try to glean some knowledge from the experts. I've never used a hammock...and it has been many many years since I've slept in a tent. Nonetheless....I'm planning to begin in Maine...and then hike in South America and Europe...so I need easy, packable option.
    Then...what about when there are no trees?....so I guess the system needs to be able to go to ground when necessary....
    This will be my home away from home....I don't want an apartment...or stuff....this will be my life...
    I have an Osprey Sirrus 36 backpack...but might go to a Mariposa....lighter weight pack...
    If any of you can point me in a direction...thanks in advance....Easy, lightweight hammock, bug net, tarp....hanging/suspension system...

Muchas gracias...merci....see you on the trail...

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the addiction. You are in the right place for answers. I admire your minimalist approach. I would suggest, if possible to get to a group hang or perhaps a HF member in your area to try and see what you like. The choices are a bit overwhelming. At least they were for me when I started hanging. I got and replaced gear as I learned. Heck, I still do that! I just got a hammock called the 'Half Wit' from Dutch, a member here. It has a half net and is the flattest lay, for me, that I've found. Warbonnets makes a very popular hammock also. Do some research here and ask questions? The best way would be to test things in person if you can figure out how. Peace, Two Tents
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    WOW
    Just Wow

Welcome.
    Congrats on an inspired plan.
    Starting in Maine, haha, many folks work their way up to hiking in the Maine wilderness, good on ya.

The hammock system with an integrated net/cover can certainly be used as a makeshift bivy without much trouble. A decent ground cloth (tyvek or the heavy duty CF fabric) works, add to that a pad, and you're good. For years backpacking I only ever used a 3/4 length pad, never owned a full length pad. That would work for when you go to ground and as bottom insulation for the hammock.

Seek the wisdom from the thru or long distance hikers, there are a bunch here. And as was mentioned, get to a group hang. Always plenty of gear to lay hands one and experienced long distance hikers who will share. Lubricated hiker trash have no end of stories

Welcome and congrats on the retirement.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If there are no trees, then you want to be able to use your setup as a bivy. I have a 3'x6' piece of tyvek I use for a ground sheet to put my pack on, and to step out of the hammock in my socks without getting them wet/dirty, which could be used as a ground sheet to lay on. So, you probably want a hammock setup with an integrated net. Something like the Warbonnet Blackbird, or the Simply Light Designs Trail Lair, or one of the products offered by DreamHammock. You may also want to look at Sheltowee which offers insulated hammocks as that may be more of an easy setup, and still light. Speaking of bottom insulation, if the chance is good that you might need to use your setup on the ground, then you may want to look at the Warbonnet Ridgerunner or JacksRBetter Bear Mountain bridge hammock, as both work good with pads as bottom insulation (double layer versions).

I normally recommend going with a simple hammock when starting out, but you seem to have a good idea of what your needs are. The integrated hammocks are more expensive, like buying an all in one computer.

Another option is Hennessy hammocks which are easier when it comes to tarps with their ridgeline prussik clips. Its not the best way in general, not for me anyway, but it would be easier in a go to ground scenario (stake the ends of the hammock and use a pole to get some airspace around your head. Not optimal, but very doable. I have yet to find a circumstance where I needed to do that. Hennessy also comes with a tarp. You'll need to buy one separately for the others.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the site.

You never mentioned a timeline, so I hope you have time to dig through this site. There is a ton of info here, just watch out for info overload. As mentioned, try to attend a group hang if you can get to one. You will be able to see (and test) different rigs, talk to the other hangers about their systems, and compare all-in-one vs mix and match systems.

Good luck on the new lifestyle. Just remember, if you don't share pics, it didn't happen.

STinGa
    Last edited by STinGa; 06-03-2015 at 12:45. Reason: just added extra stuff
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Check this site out - along with the many of videos on youtube that will show the many options out there: http://www.hennessyhammock.com/
    I've used the Hennessy for many years and still prefer it in heavy bug season. Lots of good used ones come up for sale on hammock forum.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Welcome,
    you can use trekking poles and tarp for shelter and use 3/4 pad and top quilt and save the hammock from getting torn till your back to the timber line + the tyvex ground cover

congratulations on your retirement! you might consider a bit of DIY. as a starter you might consider making yourself a cuben tarp...the lay out is fairly simple and the weight savings considerable! no sewing machine is required, since with cuben, all seams are glued with double sided 3m "ribbon glue". there's quite a lot of diy supplier's so availability shouldn't be an issue.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    For your height, also check out Bonfire Gear for his insulated hammocks.

That said, until you know if you like a bridge or a gathered end you may want to get to a group hang as mentioned and try a few ideas out. Many of us have it have had a pile of hammocks before settling on one we use most.
    Last edited by Brady; 06-03-2015 at 17:28. Reason: Addition
    Brady

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. Personally, I would find it hard to survive hammock camping with a 36 liter pack, especially if you must have a go-to-ground option. People do really crazy stuff (usually very heavy) when playing the "What if I have to go to ground?" game. I assume you won't do that.

So you haven't used a tent for a while? You must be a tarp tenter. I have UL stuff, carrying the lightest pack I'm willing to carry (GoLite Jam 50L), an HG CF Winter Palace, and HG Quilts (0*, 20* and 40*). They're about as light as I can go, without prepping for "go to ground" situations. I have a small pad that doubles as pack frame (pack is frameless) that I could use in a pinch. I don't carry hiking poles and have no intention of doing so in the near future, so if I ever do have to go to ground, there had better be some sticks for my tarp.

Good luck!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast