Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps

pads don't cut it!

well, I've tried the NeoAir full length pad, the Z-Rest pad in combination with a torso-length Therm-A-Rest, and even the wally world blue pad cut to fit, and nothing eliminates the gap in the Blackbird, so...going for the underquilt!

The first night was an unmitigated disaster! There i was, watching the stars twinkle, the moon out glowing in the darkness while occasional clouds passed overhead. I got to listen to the breeze sighing in the Ponderosa Pines, making that moving whispering sound; an owl or two calling to it's make, and the coyote party animals a few ridges over, apparently enjoying a kegger! It was fantastic, and I was like a 10-year old, loving every minute and waaaay to excited to close my eyes. then I realized it was 0230, and I needed to get up at 0500!!!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex MacDonald View Post
    ... nothing eliminates the gap in the Blackbird, so...
    What do you mean by "the gap". I have been trying to improve the feel of my pad, so I am curious what your issue is. My biggest complaint is that with a firm foam pad, it will bunch at the top and I end up with a ridge right at my neck that makes the base of my head sore. I am hoping that an inflatable pad will fix the problem. If not, I will be looking for an UQ also.

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    I went straight for an underquilt, I ordered a 20 degree full length from UGQ. I have read the threads about using a pad but it just seemed like they could be a pain and move around on you. I want to be as comfortable as i can so I bit the bullet on a down underquilt. I do not think that I will regret my decision.

Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamper Kurt View Post
    What do you mean by "the gap". I have been trying to improve the feel of my pad, so I am curious what your issue is. My biggest complaint is that with a firm foam pad, it will bunch at the top and I end up with a ridge right at my neck that makes the base of my head sore. I am hoping that an inflatable pad will fix the problem. If not, I will be looking for an UQ also.
    I got a set of ENO wings at REI, but the gap I referred to is the spot on the sides of the 20 inch pads where the hammock material is compressing the insulation on the sleeping bag. The pad needs to be about 25 inches wide, but since I'm also an ultralight backpacker, I don't want that extra weight or bulk. Can't figure a way out of this situation without getting an underquilt! i have a Neoair full length pad, and I'll see how that works when it's fully inflated. Those things are pretty thick though, and I doubt the wings will fit. I also wonder how almost 3 inches of pad will alter the geometry of the hammock when I'm in it.
    Last edited by Alex MacDonald; 06-09-2015 at 10:09. Reason: adding another thought

Hammock
    yukon outfitters w/ net
    Tarp
    Paha Que double
    Insulation
    50 degree sleeping
    Suspension
    dutch w/ cinch
    since its usually the butt that everything gets compressed, perhaps try to cut a wider piece for the butt and not have it under the rest of your body maybe that would help? not sure how everyone else does it, but i usually just put my sleeping bag in the hammock and put an extra little fleece blanket folded up under my butt and im pretty comfortable but ive never slept in mine under 60f.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    A ccf pad cut to the exact width of the hammock works wonders. There are many good reasons for using underquilts, but pads dont work is not one of them. For the record, I use ccf pads exclusively in sub-zero F conditions. My lowest is minus 22F
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Duct Tape is our resident pad fan.

Personally, I used ccf pads for two years, down to 22* F. That was the last night I used a pad; I was soaked in condensation. I'm fully UQ compliant now, with 0*, 20* and 40* quilts and couldn't be happier.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Draumr XL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock3
    Suspension
    straps
    Well, I gave up on trying to make it work (for now), and ordered a JRB quilt this morning. I'll give that a run once it gets here, and will compare/contrast after that.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wash 3
    Suspension
    whoopie!!!
    Congratulations Alex! Good move, you're going to love it.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. Hang your own hammock from them as the winds blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir (you know, all but the hammock part)

A bit off topic but here's my question...why do all these folks who don't want to use pads keep posting in the section set aside for using pads? It doesn't seem like most of them are looking for information, they just want to complain how they haven't been able to make pads work so now they're going to an underquilt. Personally, I'm a pad user but will support anyone's use of an underquilt. I just wish folks came to this site to either ask questions about how to get the most from their pad or with suggestions for same. Just a small, hopefully not too loud, rant. Sorry but thanks for the opportunity to vent.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast