Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    When I first started hammock camping, The Terminator and I used 25+ inch wide pads from WallyWorld. The Terminator had condensation issues but I did not. I did try using a FL pad at 18 degrees but I got too cold and had to bail. Luckily I was in my back yard so I could escape to my house. I tried an inflatable pad and while it worked, it was not as comfortable as the pad. We have since gone to UQs which we find much more comfortable to use.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    I have tried both. Who would have thought in NJ a 50 MPH wind would have crossed a ridge in Delaware Water Gap at night in May dropping temps to feel like freezing. 1 extra pound I would have had Stormcrow's under quilt - instead I borrowed a pad from Cricket. I lowered the equipment and pointed in the wind and made it thru the night. Chilly at best.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    A ccf pad cut to the exact width of the hammock works wonders. There are many good reasons for using underquilts, but pads dont work is not one of them. For the record, I use ccf pads exclusively in sub-zero F conditions. My lowest is minus 22F
    How do you avoid condensation issues?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silock View Post
    How do you avoid condensation issues?
    I have never suffered from condensation issues incthe extreme cold. The only time I had any condensation is when I first started and used the reflectix sunshade and it wasnt very cold out. I was so warm, I must have sweated a lot. If one is too warm when sleeping, there will be condensation. With a vapor barrier like ccf, it will noticeably collect. With an uq, one runs the riskvof the condensation being within the quilt. The other piece at play with the ccf, and/or reflectix is the creation of the microclimate. If the insulation creates a system where the microclimate is comfortable, but the surface (inside) of the insulation is below the dewpoint, condensation will occur readily. This is more apt to happen when the temps are not very low or when the amount of insulation is at a minimum. Like using just reflectix which allows for more conduction. Condensation will occur on the sides, away from the body and then pool.

Using ccf, reflectix, inflatables, etc... in the cold to avoid condensation is takes practice to know how each type oprates in different conditions, how they operate in concert. Bad combinations in thexwrong conditions are bad. Like most things in the outdoors, in extreme conditions one must know how their gear operates. A few trials with failure are learning experiences for the gear. It doesnt mean the gear is bad in general. I blame user error.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Windtech View Post
    I've used my exped downmat 9 xp lw in my hennessy hammock down to - 40f. They definitely work.
    WOW! I am bringing this Zombie thread back to life. I stumbled on it when searching for some info to add to the current thread about short vs full length UQs. I guess I had forgotten about this. Windswept used a pad to minus 40F! I remembered about Ducttape using them to minus 22F, but I had completely forgotten about this!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    A ccf pad cut to the exact width of the hammock works wonders. There are many good reasons for using underquilts, but pads dont work is not one of them. For the record, I use ccf pads exclusively in sub-zero F conditions. My lowest is minus 22F
    Excuse me for sayin' so,but with a name like Duct Tape I would think you would have no problem sticking to your pad.As for me,I never could stay on top of mine,not even when I bot the WBBB with the pad pocket so I had to admit defeat and surrender to the downy goodness.I would have preferred to been a "pad guy" so I would have a backup for going to ground.....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Excuse me for sayin' so,but with a name like Duct Tape I would think you would have no problem sticking to your pad.As for me,I never could stay on top of mine,not even when I bot the WBBB with the pad pocket so I had to admit defeat and surrender to the downy goodness. I would have preferred to been a "pad guy" so I would have a backup for going to ground.....
    Well, people vary. But amazing that even a WBBB pad pocket could not keep your pad under you. I did not realize a pad- in a pd pocket- could move once weight was on it. Then again, I have never used a pad with my WBBB, so maybe I would have the same problem. I have not used pads very often. In fact, only once with a GE hammock, using a Speer SPE ( remember those? I've still got mine! ) in a Speer hammock. But, that time I had no trouble staying on the pad, I had a good, warm nights sleep at 18F. But, that was not a pad pocket, so I have no experience with that combo. All I have ever used on a WBBB is a full length JRB MW4 and a WB synthetic Yeti(both worked great).

The only pad pockets I have ever used are on bridge hammocks and 90 degree hammocks. In those cases, I don't think I could have gotten off of the pads if I had tried to, unless I fell out of the hammock. I have mainly always been a Pea Pod/UQ guy- or a HHSS guy- but lately have considered switching to pads for use with certain hammocks that really seem to work well with them. For one reason, that "go to ground" ability you mention, when bailing out is not really convenient. Or, sometimes I am willing to give up a night hanging to sleep above timberline. Not often, but it does happen.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Hey all...are the inflater stems on some self inflating pads ok against the hammy fabric? Tnx

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wa4chq View Post
    Hey all...are the inflater stems on some self inflating pads ok against the hammy fabric? Tnx

Shouldn't hurt as long as they aren't metal.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by wa4chq View Post

The few times I used a pad with a stem I put a circle of innertube over the stem just incase.
    When I first started Hanging I stuffed my carbiner and hammock in their bag. When ai went to use the the hammock the next time part of the carbiner had rubbed a hole in the hammock. Now I am very careful about anything that protrudes. I even make sure all my hair pins are removed before I enter my hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast