Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex MacDonald View Post
    the gap I referred to is the spot on the sides of the 20 inch pads where the hammock material is compressing the insulation on the sleeping bag.
    I suggest looking at designs for a segmented pad extender to solve this issue. Or duct tape wings to the pad.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, plus some lousy DIYs
    Tarp
    Oware
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single line cord
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    It doesn't seem like most of them are looking for information, they just want to complain how they haven't been able to make pads work so now they're going to an underquilt.
    snapper
    So, on that note: do you find a more noticeable body odor when you do use a pad? Not that I do, mind you, of course not. But let's say a friend of mine noticed this when using his pad.....
    "If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's deadly." -Danielle Quierca
    --Proud Papa to three budding hangers, Educator, Lover of all things Outdoors, Still Seeking, Veteran

Hammock
    Hennessy hammock expedition zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy monsoon
    Insulation
    Exped 9 xp downmat
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    I've used my exped downmat 9 xp lw in my hennessy hammock down to - 40f. They definitely work.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've used a diy reflectex pad for 2 years and worked.

albertoes - If that was directed at me; no, I've never detected a noticeable body odor when using a pad and I've tried a variety of them before settling on an underinflated Therma-Rest "Pro-lite 4" full length pad. But, for what it's worth, I didn't have that issue using a full length CCF pad either. One thing I do though is to use my sleeping bag as a quilt so I can adjust air flow and insulation while sleeping.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Personally, I've used both walmart ccf pads and an underinflated Big Agnes Insulated Aircore pad. Both "worked" from the standpoint of keeping me warm, but I felt the air pad was more comfortable (relatively speaking) Ive personally switched to an underquilt and its a more comfortable lay than either pad with less fussing, for me anyway.

Jon

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I love the truck sized windshield reflector down to about 40°

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex MacDonald View Post
    ...The pad needs to be about 25 inches wide, but since I'm also an ultralight backpacker, I don't want that extra weight or bulk.
    I am in love with my wide Neoair Xtherm. The wide is only 5 ounces more weight than the regular, and worth every ounce of weight, IMHO. A whopping 20 ounces. I use it with an UQ in very low temps (under 20*) and sleep super comfortably. Plus, if I ever need to go to ground, I know I can survive.

Here is a link to a wide sleeping pad comparison chart I wrote about on my blog
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16'
    Insulation
    Pads baby
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    My Big Agnus bag has the envelope for pad(s). I bought the Therm-a-rest Trail Scout pad and under that I put the RidgeRest SOLite sleeping pad. I've heard R values stack and if it's true then I'm laying on 3.4 and 2.8 respectively for a 6.2 R value. At check out time I was at $99. My Big Agnes Hog Park is rated to +20 F. It got to 8 F on opening day trout season this year and I was hanging in porch mode way more than chair height (pesky jumping squirrels). But I slept fine. The only explanation I have is that I'm a frickin' heater when I sleep.

With the pads in the pocket, sliding to change diagonal directions was very easy.

And as with most people who use ccf pads I do enjoy the option of moving to a tent or a shelter.

But you know, you go with what suits you best and the rest is all by the way.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Windtech View Post
    I've used my exped downmat 9 xp lw in my hennessy hammock down to - 40f. They definitely work.
    WOW! Is that all you used? I fully appreciate the potential warmth of pads, as earlt on my first really warm night in a hammock, and to this day one of m warmest hammock nights, was the very 1st time I use an SPE with 2 summer pads/fall- one a torso length- stacked in the SPE all with a Speer hammock. I laughed at the below 20f cold that night.

Still, I am amazed to to see that even the thick/warm Downmat 9 was enough down to 40F.

On a related point, if you use pads you have not lived until you have tried them in a double layer/pad pocket bridge hammock. Especilly a nice deep bridge hammock like the JRB Deluxe. Either CCF or inflatable, as much as 26" wide.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast