ENO Junglenest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Pad n Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Walmart straps

I'm alive! James John Wilderness Adventure

Made it out on my first hang ever for the Memorial Day weekend and, despite what friends and family thought might happen, I'm still alive (despite sleeping in a hammock). It got down to about 35 or maybe a little less and I slept great in my ENO Junglenest, Thermarest Z Pad and my Thermarest 40 degree Regulas. I definitely will be trying out a KAQ from Arrowhead for my next trip and I wish I could have forked it for this one. I wouldn't mind getting an actual light weight tarp for the pack either but one thing at a time. I had to pack in an 8x10 Walmart tarp this time and I can't wait to shed some weight there.

20150523_151043.jpg

I did have to adjust a couple times in the middle of the night with the pad but other than that I slept really well. I'm a shorter guy so the Junglenest fit me well enough. Thanks to this forum and all those getting started videos by Shug the 3rd person I managed to have a great time with confidence. 3 days and two nights in the James John Wilderness watching Elk enjoy the closed season and climbing Fishers Peak in Southern Colorado was a long awaited retreat for me.

Happy hanging everyone!
    Last edited by wildernessninja; 05-30-2015 at 10:09. Reason: Included adventure area in title

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Sounds like a great time. Now go when the elk are bugling

Hammock
    DYI 11 Hexon,1.9camo,Argon1.6,12'XL
    Tarp
    Sil Poly,Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice trip. I'm not familiar with James John Wilderness area. Most of our trips have been around Pagosa.

Hammock
    ENO Junglenest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Pad n Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Walmart straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Nice trip. I'm not familiar with James John Wilderness area. Most of our trips have been around Pagosa.
    Definitely nothing wrong with that area near Pagosa, Spark. I'm looking forward to one or two short trips over that way this summer as well. Any mountians West of I-25 in Southern Colorado will not disappoint for sure. The James John is a little open for me once you get to the higher elevation but the views are seemingly endless up high there too. I like the areas that are a little more wooded and with streams for fishing - but it's still very pretty up there and wildlife thrives in those rolling hilltops atop the James John for sure.
    Last edited by wildernessninja; 05-30-2015 at 16:03.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Congrats on a good first hang. Like most folks, it takes some time to get all the gear straightened out and working right--and then you'll decide to do something different anyway! Welcome to the ongoing pursuit of the perfect night in the woods.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    clark tx 270
    Tarp
    hennessy hex 10x12
    Insulation
    E E enigma 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    until recently i was using the home depot 8x10 and the 10x12 tarps, after a heavy rain i noticed it bleed through. I went with the hennessy hex 10x12 from amazon @ 70.00. This so far is my most expensive piece of equipment. Happy hanging.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Great story, and it sounds like a great adventure! Especially cool that you can make it happen and make it fun while getting in a little at a time, without having to invest thousands all at once before you even know whether you like it!

Now, of course, you've got the bug. An under-quilt here, a tarp there, a little bling bling bling, and there goes the kids' college fund!

If you're looking around Pagosa CO, check with my friends Stacy and Greg Boone, who own Step Outdoors.
    http://stepoutdoorscolorado.com/
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    ENO Junglenest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Pad n Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Walmart straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubahhh View Post
    Great story, and it sounds like a great adventure! Especially cool that you can make it happen and make it fun while getting in a little at a time, without having to invest thousands all at once before you even know whether you like it!

Now, of course, you've got the bug. An under-quilt here, a tarp there, a little bling bling bling, and there goes the kids' college fund!

If you're looking around Pagosa CO, check with my friends Stacy and Greg Boone, who own Step Outdoors.
    http://stepoutdoorscolorado.com/
    I'll do that, Scubahh. Yeah, I was actually glad I was able to make it happen on a budget but you nailed it. Tarp n underquilt are next on the list.

• + New Posts