Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    looking
    Suspension
    Amsteel/speedhook

How do you install Whoopie Hooks on a whoopie sling?

Soooo that might be a dumb question, but after getting my brand new WBBB I figured I'd invest in a pair of whoopie hooks (at least until speed hook 2.0 come out). My question is, is it as straight forward as pulling the loose end back through the bury and replacing the bead with the hook? Is it difficult to get it back through the bury, or am I just thinking about this the wrong way. Or should I just make a continuous loop with the hook, then attack it to the sling.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I ended up just making a new continuous loop and put my hooks on there rather than on the whoopie. I would hope you'd not be able to get the bead through the bury or else it wouldn't actually prevent what it's there to prevent. I've not tried this so I can't say for sure that it won't work.

OR

You could get some more amsteel and make a new whoopie which is always super fun...new colour maybe, get some more practice splicing.

I only have the one hammock at this point in time so it wasn't a big deal to attach my whoopie hooks to it with a loop rather than put it on a new whoopie sling or trying to un-splice my old sling. I think most folks want the hook on their sling so they can use it on any hammock that has a continuous loop on it that they happen to have handy.

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    The whoopie slings that you've seen with whoopie hooks on them were made like that - basically, using a whoopie hook instead of a bead. You can't install the whoopie hooks onto either of the loops of an already constructed whoopie sling. If you haven't already bought your whoopie hooks, you can buy whoopie slings with whoopie hooks installed for $14 more than just the whoopie hooks on their own (http://www.dutchwaregear.com/whoopie...pie-sling.html, if you just select the whoopie sings with hooks and select none for all of the other components, it comes to $30). If you already have the whoopie hooks, you could make whoopie slings yourself, using the whoopie hook as the stopper bead, or you could do what mrh_on did. Either would work fine.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    edit: i thought you could disassemble the fixed loop end, but forgot that you'll need both ends available, which isn't possible with a whoopie.

you could always chop off the tail, unbury, insert hook, rebury, then reverse splice the tail to clean it up. that's probably the easiest way to do it, but you'll lose a few inches of tail.
    Last edited by novasquid; 05-29-2015 at 12:20.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    looking
    Suspension
    Amsteel/speedhook
    Thanks for the advice. I might just end up doing a continuous loop and fix it to my tree strap.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I put my whoopie hook on the fixed eye of the whoopie sling and attach it to the small continuous loop on the end of my hammock. The adjustable loop of the whoopie goes over the marlin spike in the tree strap.

This put the adjustment tail just outside the hammock so that I can adjust it while staying dry and the tag end acts as a water diverter.
    Last edited by MAD777; 05-29-2015 at 13:04.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I put my whoopie hook on the fixed eye of the whoopie sling and attach it to the small continuous loop on the end of my hammock. The adjustable loop of the whoopie goes over the marlin spike in the street strap.

This put the adjustment tail just outside the hammock so that I can adjust it while staying dry and the tag end acts as a water diverter.
    Sorry, I should have explained mine better. I was in the same boat when I got my whoopie hooks...I already had a sling made and didn't have the amsteel to make a new one with the hook on it (I'd have probably done it that way if I'd have had the cordage handy).

But ya, just as MAD777 said, most folks say the hook acts as a water diverter if you have it close to your hammock and under your tarp, so you might want to put it on your loop closest to your hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    looking
    Suspension
    Amsteel/speedhook
    Ah, makes sense. I'll put it closest to my hammock then.

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling - UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    edit: i thought you could disassemble the fixed loop end, but forgot that you'll need both ends available, which isn't possible with a whoopie.
    There are a few ways you might be able to do it, check the following thread which has a few links in it. But you can either do it just on one end, the McDonald method, or just by enlarging the hole and bringing the whoopie through it as you would with the length of line.
    Check out this thread: Locked-Brummel-on-both-ends
    It may get more tricky since you want to have the hook in there, I haven't tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phalse View Post
    Soooo that might be a dumb question, but after getting my brand new WBBB I figured I'd invest in a pair of whoopie hooks (at least until speed hook 2.0 come out). My question is, is it as straight forward as pulling the loose end back through the bury and replacing the bead with the hook? Is it difficult to get it back through the bury, or am I just thinking about this the wrong way. Or should I just make a continuous loop with the hook, then attack it to the sling.
    It is absolutely possible to disassemble a whoopee sling if you have patience, good eyes (or a good magnifier), and you are careful. You don't have to cut off the tail if you carefully work at getting it apart. Whoopie Hook then replace the bead...

Sure, a few feet of amsteel doesn't cost all that much and you could start over but this can be done.

• + New Posts