Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    You have interesting ideas. I think it's time to test them by building stuff.
    That is my experience with tinkering. All the diagrams in the world don't mean it will or won't work. You gotta play with a real one. I tend to get ideas stuck in my head and have to run them to their conclusion before I can let them go. Best get sewing.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    As said there are big challenges in something like this.
    I normally use UQ but a week ago I bought a Therm-A-Rest ProLite Plus Large. I got it for several reasons but one of them was I suspected it would make any type of hammock more flat to lay in and it does IMO. I actually bought the regular size but when I got home and tried it I found it too short and narrow (in a hammock) so I swapped it for the large (I am 6’ BTW). For some reasons a pad shrinks in a GE hammock.
    A pad looks and feels soft but it helps a lot. It may not be news to you but it was to me. I have a feeling if it’s in a pocket made to the pad’s measurements it will be even more stiff because its restricted and I see that as an advantage. The second layer for the pocket could be 1.1 oz. no loads it just have to hold the pad in place.
    I believe the bottom where we lay is very important otherwise we would get what I would call the hotdog effect. I cannot see this will work with an under quilt and likewise without a pocket for the pad but I could be wrong.
    A little theory here.
    How are suspension bridges made? Think triangles!
    A few thoughts and ideas
    Right Angle Hammock #1 .pdfRight Angle Hammock fabric.pdf

If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    That is my experience with tinkering. All the diagrams in the world don't mean it will or won't work. You gotta play with a real one. I tend to get ideas stuck in my head and have to run them to their conclusion before I can let them go. Best get sewing.
    Thanks SGT. Yea, I'll never be able to sleep if I don't give it a try...

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    It might if you attach the head and foot whoopies (the ones perpendicular to the ridgeline) to something besides the ridgeline. Unless you have an extremely rigid air pad, pulling them toward the ridgeline will tend to collapse the pad. Pulling them out​ requires four trees, of course. I have tried staking them to the ground, and it takes a very strong stake connection; a tree is better. I like the ability to adjust the pull on the head and feet separately, but overall, I'd say "no, it won't work" because you used the phrase "with the proper engineering" which means "I don't know how to do it, but somebody might..." You have interesting ideas. I think it's time to test them by building stuff.
    I couldn't slide the old "with proper engineering" line past ya WV. You saw right through me. Stop that!!

Yup, time to see where my 'on the farm' engineering falls apart. My theory about the pad is this: the BA and Exped pads I have used are very rigid as long as the channels run parallel to your body. Also by laying on the pad you will increase the rigidity at the ends. Finally the whoopies on each end of the pocket can be tightened to the edge of the pad, thus locking it in place. That's why I need a 76" pad.

I do see the possible need to secure the foot end to the ground with a short line. I'm a little worried about the head end being heavier than the foot end while laying down. That's for those of us living too close to a Dunkin' Donuts...

Thanks again for your input. I really do appreciate it!
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    As said there are big challenges in something like this.
    I normally use UQ but a week ago I bought a Therm-A-Rest ProLite Plus Large. I got it for several reasons but one of them was I suspected it would make any type of hammock more flat to lay in and it does IMO. I actually bought the regular size but when I got home and tried it I found it too short and narrow (in a hammock) so I swapped it for the large (I am 6’ BTW). For some reasons a pad shrinks in a GE hammock.
    A pad looks and feels soft but it helps a lot. It may not be news to you but it was to me. I have a feeling if it’s in a pocket made to the pad’s measurements it will be even more stiff because its restricted and I see that as an advantage. The second layer for the pocket could be 1.1 oz. no loads it just have to hold the pad in place.
    I believe the bottom where we lay is very important otherwise we would get what I would call the hotdog effect. I cannot see this will work with an under quilt and likewise without a pocket for the pad but I could be wrong.
    A little theory here.
    How are suspension bridges made? Think triangles!
    A few thoughts and ideas
    Right Angle Hammock #1 .pdfRight Angle Hammock fabric.pdf

Wow! Thanks for the indepth analysis Snowball!

I completely agree regarding the pads. I've been using an Insulated Klymit V. The design makes it flexible which works well for me in a GE hammock. I've used it down to 35F (with a 10 - 20 mph wind) without any problems. Plus, like you said, a flatter lay with no calf/knee issues. This project will require just the opposite. Rigidity will be my friend with this one.

I'm going to printout your analysis and keep it with me while trying to build this crazy design. What's weird is knowing before I start, that this thing will probably not work. But I don't know where the failure points will be... So, hello sewing project!

My guess is that some of your thoughts and ideas will end up fixing one or more of the failures I'm about to experience.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have been thinking about this design.
    It’s not so much the build because its relative simple but I think getting in and out of the hammock will properly be a challenge. It may help if its anchored to the ground but I think the ends will be unstable until the user has found the sweet spot.
    Perhaps shock cord anchor in the foot end should be avoided because then it can be folded when getting in and out.
    Also the side “wings” going up to the suspension should be at an outwards going angle. I think it will add stability and reduce any claustrophobic felling but the down side is then it’s not so easy have a leg on each side because the sides are in the way. Maybe it’s a good idea to add some kind of handles to the suspension like on hospital beds?

To be honest I am a little bit tempted to try making one myself just for fun.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Just lurking and watching here....
    The Ergo is not a 90° hammock, more like 30-45° to the ridgeline, which solves a lot of the problems with the 'ends' collapsing inward. There's no need for a 'footbox' and leg pressure to keep the hammock open. It also solves the 'getting in and out' problem.
    Certainly, if you can stand the 'fit', a GE hammock is much simpler and (a bit) lighter.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I have been thinking about this design.
    It’s not so much the build because its relative simple but I think getting in and out of the hammock will properly be a challenge. It may help if its anchored to the ground but I think the ends will be unstable until the user has found the sweet spot.
    Perhaps shock cord anchor in the foot end should be avoided because then it can be folded when getting in and out.
    Also the side “wings” going up to the suspension should be at an outwards going angle. I think it will add stability and reduce any claustrophobic felling but the down side is then it’s not so easy have a leg on each side because the sides are in the way. Maybe it’s a good idea to add some kind of handles to the suspension like on hospital beds?

To be honest I am a little bit tempted to try making one myself just for fun.
    Howdy Snowball! I'm about 4 hrs into this project. Here are some of the numbers I've worked out. I'm working with a 60" RL now. That gives me plenty of room for a 20 or even 26 wide air pad. My original cutting dimensions are different though. After several trial and errors, I discovered that a 20" depth is needed on both gathered ends. So you measure 20" in the middle and cut on a diagonal to each corner. Again I'm starting with a 132" x 90" blank. Cutting to these dimensions gives the center a relatively flat lay with a 60" RL.

I agree with securing the ends with some shockcord. And probably 1/8" for some strngth. I think I figured out the entry issue. Step and stradle the foot end and pull the mattress out between your legs. You should be able to hit close to center when sitting.

WV doesn't think attaching the end whoopies to the RL will work. He might be right. I also thought of trying a separate tarp ridgeline as an anchor point too. It would be easy to try both ways.

My project is on hold for a couple of weeks. The wifey and I are getting away for a while... If you decide to try it please let me know how it goes!
    Last edited by Texas Hanger; 06-01-2015 at 20:00.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    One thing I've noticed about all the hammock chairs and such..is that they have DEEP sags...like seriously deep sags, say steeper than 45 degrees from horizontal, closer to 90 degrees from horizontal... but they also use a bar in between, and are also usually single point hanging....Is there a reason with a GE hammock of super wide material (86" or so), that you can't do a steeper sag, and shorten the length to a point that you can have about 6-7 ft long GE hammock, but wide enough to lay at a 90 degree? Use fixed Ridge line and if double layer, put pad crosswise... might need to cut the ends so that you have a flat space in the middle but equal tension to the ends...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    One thing I've noticed about all the hammock chairs and such..is that they have DEEP sags...like seriously deep sags, say steeper than 45 degrees from horizontal, closer to 90 degrees from horizontal... but they also use a bar in between, and are also usually single point hanging....Is there a reason with a GE hammock of super wide material (86" or so), that you can't do a steeper sag, and shorten the length to a point that you can have about 6-7 ft long GE hammock, but wide enough to lay at a 90 degree? Use fixed Ridge line and if double layer, put pad crosswise... might need to cut the ends so that you have a flat space in the middle but equal tension to the ends...
    Camo, I think you just described what I'm attempting to create...

Im using an 11ft blank on this first build. At first glance I can't see getting away with much less that 9ft. My material is 90" wide by the way.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images

Prototype complete!! PICS on Page 4

Well my idea is now an actual hammock. I'm happy to have it done, but my fears of the it being too tipsy are confirmed. This design will have to be anchored either with ground stakes or tie outs to other trees (as some predicted on here).

With the heat index hovering from 105 to 110, I'm going to wait a while for a field test...

But I will say this about the design. When you get the center of gravity just right, it's more comfortable than any other hammock I've laid in. And side sleeping becomes a reality, not just a possibility.

RA Hammock1.jpg

RA Hammock2.jpg

RA Hammock3.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast