Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

inexpensive DIY quilt experiment material

Last year, I began using what I call an "Anti-CBS pad" which is nothing more than one-third yard of WarmWindow. That product is prohibitively expensive at $20 to $30 per yard. It's got a covering on only one side.

Wiggys has a more affordable quilted window covering, which costs $9.50 per yard. It's covered with a washable cotton-poly blend on both sides, making it an inexpensive way to use Lamilite in DIY experiments. All you have to do is cut it to the shape you want and bind the edges.

I'm about to order some of the Wiggy's product to make a top quilt... might also make a Mountain Man insulated blanket coat.

- MacEntyre
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The wiggys site doesn't indicate how much of this lamalite insulation is in the window covering material? Any idea on this? Given the price, if 1 layer isn't enough, I suppose more layers could easily be stacked on to give a modular insulation system for either a top or bottom quilt.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Below are pictures of the WarmWindow Anti-CBS pad, both sides before and both sides after. I had to face one side, then bind it. With the Wiggy's product, I would only have to bind it.

I know winter is coming, and folks are thinking of cold weather quilts. The Wiggy's product is a way to make a summer weight quilt, or a nested quilt. I'm planning to use the KAQ pattern, so I can try it as a winter replacement for the Thermadrape layer in my Nested MacKAQ.

- MacEntyre
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Someone mentioned in some thread what Wiggy's LAMALITE really is...does anyone remember?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    My understanding is that it is really the same stuff as Climashield.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Below are pictures of the WarmWindow Anti-CBS pad, both sides before and both sides after. I had to face one side, then bind it. With the Wiggy's product, I would only have to bind it.

I know winter is coming, and folks are thinking of cold weather quilts. The Wiggy's product is a way to make a summer weight quilt, or a nested quilt. I'm planning to use the KAQ pattern, so I can try it as a winter replacement for the Thermadrape layer in my Nested MacKAQ.

- MacEntyre
    Mac,

I got this stuff at Joann fabrics on sale and made a non sophisticated underquilt with some DWR nylon and I really like it. I just use my pad as usual for cooler weather, add this when it is cold and it is just enough to get me down into the teens pretty comfortably. I can wrap it up around me and while it is a bit bulky, it does not add much weight, especially canoe camping.

I will give it a real test next weekend, I am heading north and they are calling for 20's at night with snow, sleet and freezing rain. We went from summer to winter it seems.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Thanks, Canoebie! Glad to know the stuff works well. Maybe I'll make a poor man's Snugfit first, since I have no UQ for a Speer.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    My sample of Wiggy's window insulation arrived today. I immediately went to the scale.

The product weighs about 0.6 pounds per yard.

Seems a bit heavy to me...

- MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I just found another similar product at WW today... It's called Insul-Bright "Needled Insulated Lining." It's basically a thin, perforated aluminized mylar sheet with a thin poly batting bonded on both sides. It's 45" wide, and comes on a bolt... about 1/4" thick or so...

I don't have my scale out, but 2 yards are fairly light, and it was only $7/yd.

The nice employee there said they just got it in this week. Oh, and it's by the same folks that make WarmWindow... (http://www.warmcompany.com) It comes wrapped in an advertisement/info sheet that recommends it for jackes, ski apparel etc...

Using it straight as a blanket had me too warm in a short time, so who knows! I don't expect it to compress much, though...

For now, I'm planning on sliding it into my double layered hammock and seeing how warm it really is... Unfortunately it was ~90 degrees today, and probably won't dip below 60 tonight, so I'll just have to wait...
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 10-18-2009 at 00:41.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    For now, I'm planning on sliding it into my double layered hammock and seeing how warm it really is... Unfortunately it was ~90 degrees today, and probably won't dip below 60 tonight, so I'll just have to wait...
    I know others have used that, but I forget the results. Keep us posted on your experience.

And man do I envy your "won't dip below 60". It warmed up to nearly 40 yesterday.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts