How to sew in a draw cord and shock cord into a quilt?

I'm in the middle of building a down top quilt and I've been trying to think of ways to sew in my draw cord for the foot box and shock cord for the neck draw cord. I want the cord lock in the middle where it's easy to access so the two cords go out to the corners where they need to be permanently attached. I've tried a few different things but nothing I do works to my satisfaction. Any ideas? I've tried just sewing it directly to it, I've tried sewing it to a piece of grosgrain and then sewing that to the quilt but everything I try either looks really ugly or straight up doesn't work. I'd love some ideas. if you could send pictures too that'd be great, but just some more ideas would be awesome, I know there are some great minds and experience on this forum and I'd love to tap into it!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I make draw cord channels by folding grosgrain over the edge of the piece I am attaching it to. But, before sewing it on, I either sew a buttonhole or install a grommet. I prefer the buttonhole, but have found the grommet is needed for heavy use areas.
    The meaning of Life is to live it

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on a buttohole in the middle of the channel, which I would form by folding over the fabric twice. Then bar tack your shock cord on either end of the channels. You can do the same with grosgrain as well.
    My head is an animal

Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    +1 on a buttohole in the middle of the channel, which I would form by folding over the fabric twice. Then bar tack your shock cord on either end of the channels. You can do the same with grosgrain as well.
    So when you say bar tack the shock cord on either end of the channel, how exactly do you do that, do you get the needle to actually penetrate the shock cord or do you straddle it somehow? Do you know what I mean? Is there me some technique that makes it easier? or do I just need to keep messing with it until it works?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bryce88 View Post
    So when you say bar tack the shock cord on either end of the channel, how exactly do you do that, do you get the needle to actually penetrate the shock cord or do you straddle it somehow? Do you know what I mean? Is there me some technique that makes it easier? or do I just need to keep messing with it until it works?
    I get the thread to penetrate the shock cord a couple of times. Just sew back and forth a few times in a short line on each end, turn the needle by hand if your machine is having trouble.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    For the non-adjustable end, I sew a small loop of grosgrain and then tie the shock cord to the loop with a bowline knot. At the adjustable end, I sew of piece of grosgrain with a button hole in it and pass the shock cord through the button hole to a cordlock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts