Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Nylon straps

Best tarp from REI?

I am going on a bikepacking trip with some friends in a couple of weeks, and I need a tarp. Due to gift cards and convenience I am going to purchase it from REI. I realize that cottage vendors are a better deal and have just as good of service but I've got gift cards and member discounts to REI, and that is where I am going to shop. I am looking for a tarp around 80$. Weight is not a huge factor to me but it is important as I will be carrying everything on my back. Packed size is important. I am looking for a tarp that is big enough for ample protection in somewhat foul weather, but I do not need a mansion. I often sleep outside at my grandpa's farm which gets insanely windy so a diamond configuration is probably out. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I also need a pad for inside my hammock, and I was thinking about a Therm-a-rest Trail scout. Is that a good idea?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    2 suggestions for you from REI but keep in mind both are bulkier and heavier than what you can get from cottage vendors. I happen to own both of these and if I had to choose 1 to hike with (and I don't) it would be the Hennessy Hex.

Hennessy Hex
    Kelty 12 x 12

You can set the Kelty up in A Frame with doors on it to really block out wind. This is the one I use for cold weather camping.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Kelty 12 is best to keep wind off, but as said its bulky and heavy at 2+lbs. it's durable and can be set up with doors.

Another option I looked at is the kelty upslope tarp. It's a silnylon hex available from REI. Kelty screwed up their spec sheet, and the size is listed wrong on REI and Kelty's website. I believe the ridgine is actually 130" and plenty wide. Still not as light as cottage vendors tarps, since it's 22oz for a hex. I've checked it out in person, and it's a decent tarp. I started a thread on here somewhere, because I was confused by the listed size.

http://m.rei.com/product/865451/kelty-upslope-tarp

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Kelty 12 will give you full coverage while alittle heavy it works, but is also cheaper on amazon.

The hennessy hex is a great tarp, will work in the wind ok if you can place it right. If you can afford it (and the shorter ridgeline looks like it will work in your setup since you list an ENO DN as your hammock), the ENO housefly is actually a great tarp. I had it and a kelty 12 set up in the wind and the ENO handled the wind better.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockerlogan View Post
    I am going on a bikepacking trip with some friends in a couple of weeks, and I need a tarp. Due to gift cards and convenience I am going to purchase it from REI. I realize that cottage vendors are a better deal and have just as good of service but I've got gift cards and member discounts to REI, and that is where I am going to shop. I am looking for a tarp around 80$. Weight is not a huge factor to me but it is important as I will be carrying everything on my back. Packed size is important. I am looking for a tarp that is big enough for ample protection in somewhat foul weather, but I do not need a mansion. I often sleep outside at my grandpa's farm which gets insanely windy so a diamond configuration is probably out. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I also need a pad for inside my hammock, and I was thinking about a Therm-a-rest Trail scout. Is that a good idea?
    Try the REI Stratus (Long and Wide) sleeping pad, its a good pad for hammocks. Its much wider than typical pads and this makes a difference in a hammock. http://www.rei.com/product/870758/re...r-sleeping-pad. Its more money than the trail scout, but its lighter and MUCH more compactable than the trail scout.

• + New Posts