diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out

Building my own CRL

So my first DIY projects have been splicing cord and such. I've done whoopies, loops, shackles, and leads with Amsteel and Lash-It.

I'm moving onto building my continuous ridge line for a tarp. I pretty much decided to replicate Dutch's prefab one but have a question or two.

I'm gonna splice a dutch hook on one end and then put either a tarp fly or wasp on the other end. Do they practically do the same thing? Why would you go with one or the other? The only disadvantage of see of a tarp fly is I have to buy two! But.. if I decide to ditch the crl then I can do a two tarp flyz method.

In the meantime, I like a continuous ridge line. Wasp vs a fly on the other end, which and why?

I've got two lash-it soft shackles ready to install via prussic knots.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    i ENDED UP BUYING BOTH - AND AM CURRENTLY USING 1 FLY AND 1 WASP - and that wasnt meant to be caps locked oh well,,, reason being that the wasp is cool, and bigger -which coincidently makes it easier to tensioned second.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I really designed Wasp for the CRL. It is easier to move and then lock in position. If you get the flyz you should put it on a prussik.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    I am going to go ahead with a wasp then. I don't see myself getting rid of the crl method for quite some time. I just don't see how having two separate tie offs can be just as easy when it comes to aligning a tarp.

I have to ask, what's the benefit of putting a fly on a prussik?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    It's easier to adjust. The wasp was made to easily slide. You can also go with my method where the flyz is attached to a short continuous loop that is larks headed onto the tarp...actually I use a flea now. I have a couple of videos on the use and construction on my YouTube page.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    MEC Guide
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    When using the two flyz method with the flyz attached to the tarp with either a key chain ring or a loop that is larks headed, how is the zing it attached to the tree? I understand one end of the zing it is secured into the flyz, but what about the other end?

What i've done with mine is splice one end onto a ti-dutchbiner, and use a stinger on the other end.

I start by clipping the biner to the head end of my tarp's ridge D-ring, then run the line spliced to it around the tree, through the Head end D-ring, through the foot end D-ring, around the tree, and tie it off to the stinger clipped to the foot end D-ring.

Super EZ setup and takedown, and great adjustability.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    MEC Guide
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    What i've done with mine is splice one end onto a ti-dutchbiner, and use a stinger on the other end.

I start by clipping the biner to the head end of my tarp's ridge D-ring, then run the line spliced to it around the tree, through the Head end D-ring, through the foot end D-ring, around the tree, and tie it off to the stinger clipped to the foot end D-ring.

Super EZ setup and takedown, and great adjustability.
    I could do a similar setup except using two flyz instead of the stingers? Just connecting the flyz to the tarp D rings using a keychain ring?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WillCanada View Post
    When using the two flyz method with the flyz attached to the tarp with either a key chain ring or a loop that is larks headed, how is the zing it attached to the tree? I understand one end of the zing it is secured into the flyz, but what about the other end?
    Normally using 2 Flyz would not be a continuous ridgeline, but have a piece of zing it on each end of the ridgeline; each have a loop that is larks headed onto the tie-out with a Flyz on the line near the tarp. The line is run around the tree and to the Flyz.

For a continuous ridgeline I have the tarp set up with 2 short continuous loops of zing-it larks headed to the tie-outs, one of these has a Flyz (or flea) attached to the loop. The ridgeline has a Dutch hook spliced onto one end. The tarp is hung by wrapping the hooked end around the tree and clipped to the plain loop end of the tarp, then the other end goes around the other tree and to the Flyz (or flea) to tension. I normally start with light tension until I position the tarp (it can be moved between the trees easily) then I tighten it down and stake it out.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Quote Originally Posted by WillCanada View Post
    I could do a similar setup except using two flyz instead of the stingers? Just connecting the flyz to the tarp D rings using a keychain ring?
    You certainly could. You could also save on weight and expense by splicing or putting a locked brummel on the end of your ridgeline to larkshead to the D-ring of the tarp ridge and using a flea instead of a fly on the other side.

Personally I like to have my suspension separate to store with my tree straps, and feel that the stinger is just a much more elegant solution... not to mention those key rings rust as well as pose minor threat to snagging your tarp when packed up. It's the system that I'm focused on, one can customize the fiddly bits however one likes. The nice thing I like about it is being able to slide the tarp back and forth to perfectly center it over my hammock.

• + New Posts