DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook

Tarp Snake Skins

I am considering changing out my $1 shower scrubber for some real DIY snake skins on my 12' winter tarp. First I wanted to get some thoughts from the experts...
    I have read a number of posts that talk about- the different materials for the skins, the design options, the storage, extra features...

Here are some questions to help be get the thoughts flowing:

What material do you use (Advantages/Disadvantages)? Walmart Sheers, tulle, No-see-um, Rip-Stop, Sil-anything, Cuben Fiber...

What design options do you like (Advantages/Disadvantages)? Single Length, 2 piece split in the middle, tapered or straight, pockets for ridgeline/stakes/Dutch bling...

How do you get the tarp in the skins (Advantages/Disadvantages)? Role up to ridge and slide skins over, just start sliding them on and hope you don't get to thick on the opposite end or in the middle, bundle the guy-lines (with Dutch bling/shock cords attached)...

What do you do with the tarp once in the skins (Advantages/Disadvantages)? Some will argue that sheer or NSU materials allow a wet tarp to dry, others will say SIL or CF will contain the water from getting to other gear and the tarp won't dry anyway until it is opened; some use a breathable material and stuff into a stuff-sack, or just stuff into an outside pocket away from other gear...

What other features do you have or like about your skins? Loose open ends, or draw strings; if 2 piece do they connect or overlap in the middle?; have a pull tail for quick easy deployment while still in the hammock...

Feel free to share your thoughts. I look forward to all the great opinions and insight. Thanks!
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I use a fairly heavy (≈3oz) NoSeeUm mesh. All that I've done have been 2 piece tapered versions. I haven't tried the single "slug" method, so can't speak to advantages/disadvantages with it.

I like the idea of using mesh in some form, primarily so it can be hung outside my gear pack/s to assist in drying. This is also the reason I used a heavier weight material. Just in case I caught some snags while it was hanging off the pack. I'd worry about a random thorn or branch catching and tearing my tarp if I traveled with it on the pack in an ultralight mesh.

I prefer the tapered method as I've found it quite easy to slide over the tarp, even over the massive Noah 12 I have. I also have small pockets on both ends for ridgeline stuffing. I tend to keep the stakes and guylines in a seperate bag since they'll typically get dirty. All the ends are open (no drawstrings) and they're pretty well fit tailored to the tarp that they go with so they stay inside perfectly. Since they pretty well custom the the tarp I've made them for, they easily slide over the complete tarp and all it takes is maybe one flip of the trap over itself to completely engulf the middle and overlap.

The 2 piece method allows a really quick deployment and just seems to keep everything in place. I use the overlapping method, probably with about 6 inches of overlap. Gives me peace of mind with any amount of shifting, the tarp is still fully enclosed and protected.

If they're not attached on the pack drying, I place them in a SilPoly stuff sack. This provides me with peace of mind that if I did have to fully pack everything up, I could still do so and place it in with my dry gear without worry about getting it wet.

I've never seen the pull tails before, might have to dig around a little bit looking for this. Sounds like a very nifty idea.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post

I've never seen the pull tails before, might have to dig around a little bit looking for this. Sounds like a very nifty idea.
    Thank you for the thoughts.

I haven't seen the the tails either. This was just one of my ideas for a quick deploy when you wake to rain on your face. You would eventually have to get our and tie down if it continued.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I just went with some Ripstop
    I like 2 piece...roll tarp slide skin over...roll other remaining end and pull skin over and slightly overlap first skin then stuff into a stuff sack.
    I never would worry about drying a tarp till it gets rehung.

For me don't over think it but if there is a feature (like pockets for the cordage) you like just incorporate it into your plan
    otherwise....
    K.I.S.S.

And have fun
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by sashasrd View Post
    Thank you for the thoughts.

I haven't seen the the tails either. This was just one of my ideas for a quick deploy when you wake to rain on your face. You would eventually have to get our and tie down if it continued.
    The Hennessy Skins have a little tab on the tail end...I see no advantage to it at all. I am always wrapping my hand around the skin and sliding it off the tarp.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I make a circle from a zip tie and hem it into the large end of the taper. Helps keep the shape while I am pulling them on. Just roll the tarp up and get a measure on the circle so it does bind or slip around too much.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Not snakeskins but I use the elastic hair ties...works great.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    The Hennessy Skins have a little tab on the tail end...I see no advantage to it at all. I am always wrapping my hand around the skin and sliding it off the tarp.
    If by tab your talking about the little loop at the tail end, I use those to hold the skins in place and preventing them from pulling down past the ends of the tarp. They loop over each of my Dutch stingers that are attached to either side of my tarp ridgeline.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Never understood the mesh ones. The amount of surface area that might dry is pretty insignificant compared to the size of the tarp. But, they may be lighter I dont know. I do love using skins though.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by wa4chq View Post
    Not snakeskins but I use the elastic hair ties...works great.
    This is an interesting idea. Are they a pain to spread and put over the tarp? I would think you would need to role the tarp up to the ridge line and use 2 hands to spread the hair tie and run down the length. How may do you use?

OR are they the style with the elastic and 2 hard balls that are just stretched over the tarp. This might be better than a circle that needs to be on the ridgeline all the time.
    Hair_ties.jpgIMG_0303.jpg
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast