Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon rain fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This inspired me to try out the shower scrubber skins on my yukon tarp yesterday. The one I re-appropriated was to short for my tarp, and had some holes already, so not the best fit. I really like the concept as I have been taking the time to neatly fold and roll it so it would fit back in the bag it came in. I think this just moved up on the DIY list.

With that being said the whole hair tie thing got me thinking why not put an elastic band in the wide end of the skins to help squeeze everything together. Maybe over thinking, maybe not even necessary, and definitely not going to make the UL list. Just an idea.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Hey Sashasrd....I use just the elastics, not the ones with the balls. This wasn't my idea, I read about it here on HF's....sorry I forgot who. I haven't used skins before but I've watched vids of them in use. I roll up my tarp the same way then slide the elastics down mid-way then finish out to the end. Repeat for the other end. I keep the elastics on when the tarp is in use, they sit happily on the end of the tarp! Depending how large the bundle is in the middle when rolled, one hand will work, but I use two. It really is fast and then I put the whole deal in its bag. **I don't have doors on my tarp but wouldn't think that it would make hairs ties awkward to use....
    Last edited by wa4chq; 05-22-2015 at 11:21.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    GTSBP until DIY
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter12 UL
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I make a circle from a zip tie and hem it into the large end of the taper. Helps keep the shape while I am pulling them on.
    I like this idea. I think I am going to borrow it.
    "No one saw me come or go, they only know me by where I have been." -c0de-

Eagle Scout - 2000

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sashasrd View Post
    I am considering changing out my $1 shower scrubber for some real DIY snake skins on my 12' winter tarp. First I wanted to get some thoughts from the experts...
    I have read a number of posts that talk about- the different materials for the skins, the design options, the storage, extra features...

Here are some questions to help be get the thoughts flowing:

What material do you use (Advantages/Disadvantages)? Walmart Sheers, tulle, No-see-um, Rip-Stop, Sil-anything, Cuben Fiber... - My MountainGoat skinz are mesh.

What design options do you like (Advantages/Disadvantages)? Single Length, 2 piece split in the middle, tapered or straight, pockets for ridgeline/stakes/Dutch bling...- I like the 2 piece split. Easier to manage. Also, if i want to I can leave the foot end staked out and deployed....while rolling the head end up in the skinz for a half deployed-open top config. Quicker to deploy if it rains.The first pic below demonstrated this, although its not staked in.

How do you get the tarp in the skins (Advantages/Disadvantages)? Role up to ridge and slide skins over, just start sliding them on and hope you don't get to thick on the opposite end or in the middle, bundle the guy-lines (with Dutch bling/shock cords attached)... - Took me about 30seconds to figure out. Just pull em on and massage the tarp into em while pushing the air out. After doing it a couple times you learn the best way to roll/fold/stuff. It is super quick. Then I just stuff my SF back into the stuff sack for transport and that goes in my pack. I know some dont carry the SF stuff sack and just put the skinned tarp in their pack. For me it weighs almost nothing and the tarp and skins alone can be a little unwieldy. I just throw all my stuff sacks (tarp, quilts, stake bag, etc) into my hammock double ended stuff sack once at camp. Last pic has about 5 stuff sacks inside the XLC sack.

What do you do with the tarp once in the skins (Advantages/Disadvantages)? Some will argue that sheer or NSU materials allow a wet tarp to dry, others will say SIL or CF will contain the water from getting to other gear and the tarp won't dry anyway until it is opened; some use a breathable material and stuff into a stuff-sack, or just stuff into an outside pocket away from other gear... - Its not gonna dry rolled up in skinz be it silny, mesh, cuben, etc. I am always amazed how much this is discussed. It just isnt going to dry rolled. Period.

What other features do you have or like about your skins? Loose open ends, or draw strings; if 2 piece do they connect or overlap in the middle?; have a pull tail for quick easy deployment while still in the hammock... - I like the two piece and mine are the standard MoutainGoat skins. They come together in the middle and I dig the cinch cords. I also dig the cord pockets that she sews in at no charge. The only thing I wish they had was another cinch cord/cord lock on the ends. Sometimes when I pull the skinz on they get pulled past the ends of the tarp. Not a huge deal but sometimes its annoying.

Feel free to share your thoughts. I look forward to all the great opinions and insight. Thanks!

I ordered my skinz from MountainGoat. She was awesome and super quick with the shipping. They are great and pretty cheap.

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...s-goods-store/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Burg54; 05-22-2015 at 15:53.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    I ordered my skinz from MountainGoat. She was awesome and super quick with the shipping. They are great and pretty cheap.

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...s-goods-store/
    Great response, thank you for the insight. Great spot to hang too! I like to listen to the water while dozing off.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12