Hammock
    DIY Hammock and WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubat.
    Suspension
    BacktoStraps/Dutch
    I think there is a 25" wide version of the walmart blue pad. I'll have to measure when i get home. I started with that. Also tried a thermorest. Both were ok but i soon went to an underquilt. Keep a close eye on the for sale forum and you can save some money and get immediate delivery.
    Last edited by Chadx; 05-18-2015 at 09:31.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
    When I can afford it, I'm looking at the Jarbridge River UQ. What is the general consensus on it? Anyone have experience with it?
    Many folks use them. Arrowhead usually has a sale in July or August. Last year Jarbidges were $75 during the sale. Use a pad or PLUQ for now and save your money until the sale.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock and WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubat.
    Suspension
    BacktoStraps/Dutch
    By the way, don't be afraid to go with an underquilt rated cooler than the ambient temp you'll experience. I feel I sleep medium to warm, yet in a hammock, I've found my underquilt needs to be rated at least 20 degrees colder than ambient temp with a full length quilt; More if a 3/4 or 2/3 quilt. I tried the shorter quilts and much prefer the full length and so now don't own any less-than-full-length underquilts. Also, I've found the underquilt to be more important (to be rated warm enough) than the top quilt.

My wife and I both use 0 degree, full length quilts in the mountains for Montana where in the heat of summer, the low can dip down into the 40s or even 30s at elevation. If we use it at lower elevation and warmer night time temps, we simply vent the underquilt. Of consideration, though, may be if you are trying to save ounces in a pack you are carrying. We primarily travel with gear on a motorized vehicle and so don't have to consider weight as much as a hiker for example.
    Last edited by Chadx; 05-18-2015 at 10:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
    When I can afford it, I'm looking at the Jarbridge River UQ. What is the general consensus on it? Anyone have experience with it?
    I'm a newb, but I now have (3) in my household: 2 3-seasons and I just bought my son a 1 season during the sale. I'm going to stick with my PLUQ for now. I will share one learning that I've had that has improved my success with the Jarbidge. The learning depends on your height. I'm about 5'9 and when I adjusted the Jarbidge as normal (just above my shoulders). I would get a few cold spots. What I found was the quilt was almost full length for me at my height. My feet would press against the shock cord and open the quilt. I moved the quilt up almost to the top of my head which put the bottom of the quilt about mid-calf. This made sure I could route the shock cord above my feet (as Shug shows in his videos). This eliminated the gaps and I stayed work with the small foot pad. I used it this past Friday night (only got down to about the mid 50s) and I didn't even need to the foot pad. I only used a small fleece blanket.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Check out the wide 1/4 evazote closed cell foam pad at Gossamer Gear. Perfect to go to 50 degrees and it gives good coverage, I use it now in addition to my 20 degree underquilt when I need extra insulation in the winter. Good lightweight option.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Revbsclark View Post
    Have you considered a PLUQ (Poncho Liner Under Quilt)?

I'm in the process of making 2 myself, b/c I can't afford a "real" underquilt. Total cost is under $50 each.
    I had looked into it a bit but wasn't sure how well they performed.
    Last edited by Tenshi; 05-18-2015 at 12:55.

I can't seem to find the thread right now, but I know the other day I read through one, and most folks were saying it's good down to mid 40s to low 50s.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by duckyy View Post
    It's probably the best bang for your buck uq. It's good down to the 20* but you'll probably need a small pad for your feet since it's 3/4. It packs down pretty well from what I've seen. Looks like it's the same size as a 1 gallon bottle stuff and probably smaller compressed.
    I think what I'll do is go for the CCF pad for now and then, when I get the UQ in a couple of months, I'll have the pad available to make a foot pad.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Had anyone tried out this pad on the Wally World website: http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/23382498

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch

Bottom insulation question

I've used one like it. Here's my suggestion. Get the ccf pad and cut it into two sections. One 3' long and whatever the rest comes out to. When you put them in the hammock, lay them out in a T shape, 3' piece at the top. That covers your shoulders well and also helps a bit with pad shifting. If you're taller than the length of the two matts together throw your pack under your feet. Also, round off all the corners. You can also angle the top piece a bit to match the angle you're laying.

Think it through before cutting, and try to use it a couple of times I the backyard to see if it works for you without cutting. Hate to recommend altering it, but when I was using pads that's what worked best for me. Vent as needed, you want to avoid condensation.

Good luck
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast