Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The GO! Hammock Fabric Tensioners explained.

Hi guys,

I wanted to share my new method for dealing with loose fabric on large hammocks.

I have encountered a lot of people on Facebook, Twitter and here who think that my fabric tensioners are the Knotty mod. I would like to explain the difference. Before explaining, I would like to say that I have seen Knotty's tutorial for the Knotty mod and his other tutorials. I think they are great and his mod is great too. His mod will actually keep a topquilt in the hammock better than my method. My method increases reduces the wall, increases visibility, gives the hammock it's unique shape and deals with the loose fabric.

GO! Hammock Fabric Tensioners Explained:

The two attached photos of the black hammock show the fabric tensioners. Unfortunately, they are difficult to see in the photo because it's black on black. You can see them if you zoom in.

Description.

1) There's a grosgrain loop at the foot end, on both sides of the hammock, at the rolled edge seam. Same on the head end.

2) The loops are about 27" from the head end and foot end of the hammock. A different distance is fine, you just want the loops higher than the users head and feet.

3) A piece of shock cord runs between the foot end loops, and another between the head end loops. You can attach with hooks on one side or tie a loop in the shock cord and larks head it onto one loop so it's removable.

4) The other side of the shock cord goes behind the hammock through a cord lock, then through the loop on the other side and back through the cord lock. You can use the cord lock to adjust the tension.

If you look at the attached photo of the 3 hammocks you can see the shape of the hammock and the folds that are created. Basically, the excess fabric is pulled behind the hammock, toward the center on both the head end and foot end. My method deals with the loose fabric and increases visibility from the hammock. My method is not as effective as the knotty mod at keeping a top quilt in but the knotty mod reduces visibility by pulling the fabric up.

You can use the grosgrain loops similar to the Knotty mod by using one longer piece of shock cord on either the head end or foot end. Instead of going behind the hammock with the shock cord you can attach it to one grosgrain loop. Next put the shock cord over the suspension on the chosen end and then to the loop on the opposite side. This pulls ups the fabric up just like the Knotty mod. Of course this will not look as sleek as the Knotty mod with the shock cord in the rolled hem.

Hope this makes sense.

Go! Hammock Fabric Tensioners close up..jpgGo! Hammock Fabric Tensioners_edited-1.jpg3 Hammock Photo 16-9 aspect_edited-2.jpg
    Last edited by got hammocks?; 05-18-2015 at 08:11. Reason: Edited to try to get this moved back to the DIY forum by the mods.
    Jason Montgomery
    Founder of GO! Outfitters
    Go-Outfitters.com

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    There's a word used in the engineering field that describes certain solutions to vexing problems.

"Elegant"

Yours is an elegant solution to "The Wall" on wider hammocks. I've been an advocate for wider than normal hammocks for a while now as I see width, combined with lengths of 11 foot or more, as a way to eliminate or mitigate the calf ridge and achieve a flatter lay. The complaint most heard about this solution is "The Wall" of fabric that is formed preventing from seeing what one had gone into the woods to see.

I was worried that hammocking had gotten to the point where we wouldn't see any new ideas. There was a time when somebody was coming up with something new and sharing it with the community here on an almost daily basis, but there's been less and less of that thing going on the past couple of years.

I commend you for sharing this with the community as well, and I promise you that I am going to steal your idea, but for personal use only. I got bit by the DIY bug a couple years ago and am always doing some kind of fiddling. But from the looks of things, you're cut from the same cloth, which means that you are fully aware that you might not sell a couple of hammocks to guys like me by putting this out there. Thus, your contribution to the hammock community has been doubled by your coming up with a new idea AND sharing it with others.

I very glad to see you're Kickstarter campaign is doing well. Hope to see more of you and your goods in the future.

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    I do have to say this is a very very neat solution and am glad someone thought of it. I wish you great success in your go-hammocks!

Vince

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I guess I just dont see it. It doesnt seem to do much with the wall. I understand it may help with the extra fabric in the face, but its never been an issue with me on a netless hammock. And on most net hammocks they have loop to stake it out. I guess you are just saying your mod is like putting shock cord under the hammock to the other loop, if you have a universal lay. From the pics you have I dont see enough of an improvement over the wall.

Also I cant see from the picture, but is it permanent or detatchable? I can see future tangle issue is it stays attatched thru the stow and unpack process.

Hi sargevining,

Thanks for your post and for the kind words! I have encountered so much negativity, oddly, exclusively from hammock enthusiasts. So your comments are appreciated are than you know I have learned a lot from this forum in the past and I wanted to contribute my idea to the people here, much like Knotty has done with his mod as have so many others with their ideas and by taking the time to create and post tutorials.

Thanks!!!
    Jason Montgomery
    Go-Outfitters.com

Thanks, I am glad you like it! Thanks for the wishing me luck too!
    Quote Originally Posted by V_Allen View Post
    I do have to say this is a very very neat solution and am glad someone thought of it. I wish you great success in your go-hammocks!

Vince
    Jason Montgomery
    Go-Outfitters.com

Hi miyanc,

In the photo with me laying in the hammock, the tensioners are not doing much because I am using up all of the fabric. I only posted that photo because it shows the tensioners. The photo of the 3 hammocks clearly shows how the wall is greatly reduced. The tensioners are removable as I stated in the description.

Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I guess I just dont see it. It doesnt seem to do much with the wall. I understand it may help with the extra fabric in the face, but its never been an issue with me on a netless hammock. And on most net hammocks they have loop to stake it out. I guess you are just saying your mod is like putting shock cord under the hammock to the other loop, if you have a universal lay. From the pics you have I dont see enough of an improvement over the wall.

Also I cant see from the picture, but is it permanent or detatchable? I can see future tangle issue is it stays attatched thru the stow and unpack process.
    Jason Montgomery
    Go-Outfitters.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    First I have seen of this hammock....seems another good option to have out there.
    I agree that is very un-like the Knotty mod. Been in a hammock groove a long time and I haven't seen this type of solution for the extra fabric flop.
    Good luck on your hammock quest. Seems you have already exceeded your goal....that has gotta feel good.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by got hammocks? View Post
    Hi sargevining,

Thanks for your post and for the kind words! I have encountered so much negativity, oddly, exclusively from hammock enthusiasts. So your comments are appreciated are than you know I have learned a lot from this forum in the past and I wanted to contribute my idea to the people here, much like Knotty has done with his mod as have so many others with their ideas and by taking the time to create and post tutorials.

Thanks!!!
    Jason;

The negativity has only recently crept into this Forum. I note that those responsible for it have not given anything to this community above and beyond their low opinions of others and their high opinions of themselves, tearing down others so as to give the appearance that they are building themselves up.

You, OTOH, have not only taken advantage of the best that this Forum has to offer and integrated it into an innovative product offering, but have responded by providing new knowledge that adds to the vast reservoir contained here, and have cheerfully answered each question, respectfully acknowledged each comment, and politely responded to the unwarranted harsh criticism from people who do not look deeply or thoughtfully into such offerings. I've also seen you do the same on multiple Facebook pages as well, so I know you're not just sucking up.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I will echo others praise for innovation - and at the same time i think i probably commented on your videos about being similar to knottys mod - so thank you for your explanation and also i hope that any comment i made was not taken as hurtful.

HYOH and keep at it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast