Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)

Hammeck Netty 1.6 NylonD Single-Layer 18.3 Oz Review

Folks,

Here is my review of a Hammeck Netty 1.6 NylonD Single-Layer hammock, with .5/oz per yd no-see-um, two attachment points for an UQ., and a kevlar-strap to whoopie* suspension.

Buying this hammock was a lengthy process--all my fault. David Meck is a detail-oriented guy and made sure all the details were right. This hammock represents a first for Hammeck: the .5 weight no-see-um represented a special order. Email communication was constant and effective. Super high marks for our cottage industry yet again!

The box arrived in good time:

IMG_1762.jpg

Luckily, I did not order a Faberge' Egg hammock, so the crushed corner on the box didn't worry me in the least. Opening up:

IMG_1764.jpg

Revealed the hammock in its stuff sack, and the suspension in its stuff sack, along with stretchy cord for the tie-outs (pre-tied with loops--left off the hammock at my request for weight control purposes). Some Lawson reflective line is in there, along with some plastic doohickeys to make zipper grabs. The whole kit and caboodle weighs in at 18.3 oz. :

IMG_1771.jpg

Which saves me about 11 oz. on my WBBB 1.1 x2 layer strap and cinch buckle suspension hammock. I decided to go with a slightly heavier 1.6 NylonD fabric for long-term durability (I'm about 215lbs, which makes me on the high side of the limit for the 1.4/1.2 PolyD fabrics) and after some experimentation I like the feel of the NylonD better--a personal judgement.

Craft and skill are apparent in the overall construction of the hammock. High marks. I threw it up the day it arrived, then again a day later for a longer-term try-out with UQ. David Meck uses packa hooks, and their placement for a full-length UQ (an Incubator, in this case) is ok, and could even be closer to the centerline of the hammock:

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

Even after minimal dialing-in, the UQ stayed where it should. I opted to use just two attachment points; one for the shoulder/head side, and one for the foot side. This saves a bit of weight and in my previous experience with similar attachments (Dutchware hooks) sufficient to the cause.

IMG_1772.jpg

Here is the hammock strung up, and with UQ:

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

After an hour in this hammock I find it very comfortable. I miss the shelf but will use a ridgeline organizer. The zippers feel one notch less smoooooooth than in my WBBB; smoothness may come with time, but they work well. The zipper pulls are minimal (hence the need for additional little pull-yankers, also true on WBBB). The NylonD fabric is pretty amazing stuff; has a little give to it, feels lovely. Whatever color is available to Ripstopbytheroll or Dutchware is available to Hammeck customers, and of course Hammeck stocks certain colors as per their website. The lower-weight no-see-um is a bit more delicate and can snag on roughened callouses, but is still amazingly strong stuff. The custom kevlar strap suspension is hands-down amazing (again, Hammeck sources this through Dutchware). I look forward to getting this out on the trail for extended hikes; I'll appreciate those saved oz. quite a bit.

IMG_1775.jpg

//
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for a great review, Ed! Very glad that you like it so much!
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Good review. Wish I had thought about getting those hooks on my EnvyS for my UQ also.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cinema View Post
    Folks,

Here is my review of a Hammeck Netty 1.6 NylonD Single-Layer hammock, with .5/oz per yd no-see-um, two attachment points for an UQ., and a kevlar-strap to whoopie* suspension.

Buying this hammock was a lengthy process--all my fault. David Meck is a detail-oriented guy and made sure all the details were right. This hammock represents a first for Hammeck: the .5 weight no-see-um represented a special order. Email communication was constant and effective. Super high marks for our cottage industry yet again!

The box arrived in good time:

IMG_1762.jpg

Luckily, I did not order a Faberge' Egg hammock, so the crushed corner on the box didn't worry me in the least. Opening up:

IMG_1764.jpg

Revealed the hammock in its stuff sack, and the suspension in its stuff sack, along with stretchy cord for the tie-outs (pre-tied with loops--left off the hammock at my request for weight control purposes). Some Lawson reflective line is in there, along with some plastic doohickeys to make zipper grabs. The whole kit and caboodle weighs in at 18.3 oz. :

IMG_1771.jpg

Which saves me about 11 oz. on my WBBB 1.1 x2 layer strap and cinch buckle suspension hammock. I decided to go with a slightly heavier 1.6 NylonD fabric for long-term durability (I'm about 215lbs, which makes me on the high side of the limit for the 1.4/1.2 PolyD fabrics) and after some experimentation I like the feel of the NylonD better--a personal judgement.

Craft and skill are apparent in the overall construction of the hammock. High marks. I threw it up the day it arrived, then again a day later for a longer-term try-out with UQ. David Meck uses packa hooks, and their placement for a full-length UQ (an Incubator, in this case) is ok, and could even be closer to the centerline of the hammock:

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

Even after minimal dialing-in, the UQ stayed where it should. I opted to use just two attachment points; one for the shoulder/head side, and one for the foot side. This saves a bit of weight and in my previous experience with similar attachments (Dutchware hooks) sufficient to the cause.

IMG_1772.jpg

Here is the hammock strung up, and with UQ:

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

After an hour in this hammock I find it very comfortable. I miss the shelf but will use a ridgeline organizer. The zippers feel one notch less smoooooooth than in my WBBB; smoothness may come with time, but they work well. The zipper pulls are minimal (hence the need for additional little pull-yankers, also true on WBBB). The NylonD fabric is pretty amazing stuff; has a little give to it, feels lovely. Whatever color is available to Ripstopbytheroll or Dutchware is available to Hammeck customers, and of course Hammeck stocks certain colors as per their website. The lower-weight no-see-um is a bit more delicate and can snag on roughened callouses, but is still amazingly strong stuff. The custom kevlar strap suspension is hands-down amazing (again, Hammeck sources this through Dutchware). I look forward to getting this out on the trail for extended hikes; I'll appreciate those saved oz. quite a bit.

IMG_1775.jpg

Thanks for review. One question why the switch to the Netty from the WB. Looking at making a purchase soon and both are in consideration.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Adkins View Post
    Thanks for review. One question why the switch to the Netty from the WB. Looking at making a purchase soon and both are in consideration.
    Scott,

Weight and volume. My WBBB is still a valued member of the hammock team. The Netty saves me 11 oz and the stuff sack is smaller as well. I'll use the Netty for extended hikes when the 11 oz. difference makes a more significant difference, and when pack volume is at a premium.
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cinema View Post
    Scott,

Weight and volume. My WBBB is still a valued member of the hammock team. The Netty saves me 11 oz and the stuff sack is smaller as well. I'll use the Netty for extended hikes when the 11 oz. difference makes a more significant difference, and when pack volume is at a premium.
    Thanks. I'm not planning any long distance hikes and will also use it car camping. If weight were not an issue would you have a favorite.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I own BB's ( a 1.1 DL and a 1.7 DL ) and a Envy S. I find both the BB and the EnvyS to be very comfortable. I do miss the BB shelf when I am in the ENVYS but I have a lot more room in the ENVYS
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Adkins View Post
    Thanks. I'm not planning any long distance hikes and will also use it car camping. If weight were not an issue would you have a favorite.
    WBBB. While as Gunnar observes being inside the Netty is more "roomy" that is not much compensation for losing the shelf. I find the sewn-in footbox a smidge more comfy--and the WBBB is shorter, which means easier setup. It is all about the trade-offs So my fave weight and volume aside = WBBB; the differences are minor, however. Very happy with the Netty and on long hikes I will definitely appreciate the reduced weight.
    //

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just got a SL 11' Netty and I absolutely love it! My WBBB XLC is going on the auction block

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' X 9'6"
    Images
    Very informative thank you very much.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast