Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I have a double layer hammock and Gossamer Gear pad 3sixteenths x 40 x 72. It's size makes it impossible to slide out from under you. I think that's good to 50degrees. And I have a Wilderness Logics 20degree under quilt. UNDER quilts are very warm and light and not bulky. When it's really cold I use both pad and quilts (top and under quilts). Good luck on staying warm, most of us have had a learning curve the hard way on under insulation.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DCJohnson View Post
    My ideal set up would be the blackbird, yeti underquilt, my bellyache sleeping bag (or a lightweight topquilt like the mamba), and the superfly tarp (it obviously wont be all in one purchase but I could pick up an item here or there over the next year or so). Hmmm, I think all of those are warbonnet. Im thinking i can cinch them down in one stuff sack and pack it externally on my Arcteryx Altra 75 and use all the internal space for other items, which would extend my ability to stay out in the wilderness by double. It will also pack nicely into a frame pack for some bikepacking. Plus, it seems like the tarp that comes with the Hennessy Expedition doesnt really offer much coverage, so at a price tag of $200 for the hammock, i might as well just get the blackbird. But unfortunately it will be a bit of a wait because Warbonnet has closed orders at this time.
    I can't vouch for the Yeti or Mamba quilts, but I can say I've been very pleased with my XLC. I've also been very happy with my UGQ Zeppelin under quilt and FlightJacket top quilt.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    One other thing that may help while you're using your pad is to get a role of the foam netted shelf protector fabric. You don't need huge pieces of it, but if you cut some strips and lay them between your pad and hammock they will stop the pad from shifting around so much.

Also, one other thing I used for a while is a yoga mat instead of a sleeping pad. Not something for very cold weather, but for mild to cold it worked well. That with the reflectix (windshield protector) layer between the mat and me was plenty warm. You have to be careful with condensation, but it's a cheap way to manage your insulation and easy to adjust. I cut mine to fit shoulder to thigh and had a separate pad for under my legs/feet.

Also, DIYing a non-down underquilt isn't tough and something you may want to consider.

Good luck
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

I'm a newbie so I don't really have any advice, just commiserating.
    Lol misery loves company!

It seems apparent that the biggest game changer is to get a solid underquilt. I am just deciding if i want a full length or 3/4 length. Until I can afford the UQ, I don't mind going with a ccf pad underneath my big agnes pad, but the UQ is absolutely on the top of my list. Fortunately I live in Southern California where I don't have to worry about temps below freezing too often so I am able to piece things together slowly from the bottom up.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    ...Also, one other thing I used for a while is a yoga mat instead of a sleeping pad. Not something for very cold weather, but for mild to cold it worked well. That with the reflectix (windshield protector) layer between the mat and me was plenty warm. You have to be careful with condensation, but it's a cheap way to manage your insulation and easy to adjust...
    FYI - the way I understand it, radiant heat reflection requires a little space between you and the reflector for it to work. You're probably getting some peripheral help with radiant heat around your body, but your body "footprint" likely only benefits from the additional foam on top of the yoga mat in the configuration you're talking about. The yoga mat will insulate some of that heat so that you won't get as much benefit (less heat to be reflected back to you) around the sides, but in terms of CBS, you should get more benefit having the reflectix on the bottom once some of your heat starts moving through the mat.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    FYI - the way I understand it
    Sorry, missed this response. Never thought of trying it that way. I've got quilts now, so not sure if I'll get a chance to test it, but I'll keep it in mind.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12