Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    [QUOTE=Jinx117;1455596]We all want to take good care of our gear so that it serves its purpose for many seasons to come. I wanted to open the floor for tips / advice on how to take care of your tarp.

-- What are some methods you utilize, in order to avoid tearing your tarp - especially when out in the wilderness?" *Tip: A)Keep it OFF the ground. B)Resist all urges to shake it out, like you're laying out a picnic blanket. C)Handle it in small bites 'til it's pieced into shape and roughly pegged out, then fiddle it to perfection. D)Look up, and, as you scan for "widow makers", look also for low-hanging branches which, when rain-wet, snow-laden or wind-blown, will drop down and abrade/puncture your tarp.

"--Do you fold your tarp any specific way when packing it up?" *Tip: Differently every time. Randomly. Whether you're under Olde Timey canvas, today's silny, or yesterday's poly/poly, prevent repeatedly creasing (stressing) the same fibers in the same ways. One look at my elbows will tell the story like words never could. Nuff said!

"-- How often do you service your tarp?" *Tip:Maintain her daily, while you're out there. Once-daily wiping, wet or dry, with a soft cloth, from ridge to tie-outs, affords one the chance to minutely examine the tarp and make short work of long problems. Also, 2-to-4 times annually with the silicone spray never killed any tarp I've ever met. -- BUT!! You look like to be under Cuben Fiber. Yes? I've zero experience with this fairie substance. Woven, non-stitched butterfly glitter, they say. In any case, please refer to manufacturers recommendations, and the experiences of Cuben Fiber owners, for specific care and feeding.

Lastly and finally:You look to be a young man, if that pic is of yourself. Realize that all things will wear, and all things will show it. Congratulations to you on having so magnificent a tarp, and the caring attitude to care so well for her.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I stuff my tarp. Always put away dry and if you can't then take it out and let is dry the first chance you get.

I hose off my tarps after a camping trip and or group hang. let it dry and then stuff it into its storage sack.

Do not set it up close to any thing that might rub a hole in it.

A couple of tarps developed some loose stitches which I resewed.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I use a small towel to dry off excess water before packing it away so I take the opportunity to examine the material as well as the seams and hems. As they say... "a stitch in time saves nine"
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Like most everyone else who use them, I think snakeskins are great. Here in sunny Florida we have some big old growth pines, but plagued with an endless supply of sap. Packing up my tarp has turned into a process, especially if I've been out for a few days. Along with making sure it is dry, I have the tedious job of clean off all that wonderful sap.
    Thanks to some forum members l have started carrying a small bottle of olive oil, which, so far, has worked well. This also gives me a good chance to look over my tarp and spend a little more time enjoying the world.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Another snake skin user here. They make packing away and deploying just that much easier and your tarp need never touch the ground. I do then stuff the snake skins into a stuff sack as I find that much easier to manage.

Apart from that making sure it's not rubbing against anything while up and never storing wet long term (or storing at all long term) are about the only precautions I take.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I always make sure not to have the ridgeline too tight in really high winds; you know the kind of wind that makes the tree tops twirl around and the trees to move away from each other. I suspect a bowstring tight ridgeline on a cuben tarp and maybe a sil tarp might rip out in those kinds of winds. I am careful when packing up to be sure my stakes are not going to poke my tarp and I am careful about briers and snags on the trees possibly poking holes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12