Hammock
    Dutchware NylonD
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Hello from Illinois

Hello HammockForums!
    A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon www.reddit.com/r/hammocks and decided to buy one. I ended up with a Dutchware NylonD with cinch buckle suspension. I mainly use it on hikes as a place to sit and read, but plan on camping with it in the summer.
    I am volunteering with an Outward Bound type program for 'at risk' kids. We are going to the Gunflint Trail in Minnesota. I have camped in the boundary waters a few times before, but never in this area. I've been in Quetico and have also gone out of Ely twice.
    In preparation for the trip, I am looking for a rainfly, bugnet, and under-quilt, and I could use some advice.
    For the rainfly, I am thinking of getting the Paha Que rainfly: http://www.amazon.com/PahaQue-Wilder...THT52K72D66PHE
    Has anybody here used this one? It is 12' by 6'6" for the small one and 12' by 8'6" for the big one, but they are the same price. Should I go for the bigger one? I want to ensure I don't get wet even in the event of a big rainstorm, which is likely in the boundary waters. If the bigger one would give me more protection, I don't mind the additional weight.
    As far as the other stuff, I am open to advice. My budget is very small, and I can do simple DIY things but nothing that requires a great amount of skill, experience, or a sewing machine.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Max13; 05-08-2015 at 18:02.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Welcome & Go big. You won't regret big. You sound like you have already done some homework so the addiction has already got you. I'm a teacher in Illinois and used to work with at risk kids as well. What is the program you're with
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Welcome! I too am in the "bigger is better" category on tarps. I've regretted too small tarps, never a too big one. BWCA is a wonderful area, been there myself. Kudos to you for helping the young 'uns. Seems like they need it a lot more than we did back in the day.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Dutchware NylonD
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks for the advice. It's called the Wilderness Challenge Program.

Hammock
    DYI 11 Hexon,1.9camo,Argon1.6,12'XL
    Tarp
    Sil Poly,Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You may want to look at these tarps. http://amzn.com/B009R9FUI2 A 12X12 would work well

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    A little food for thought...... with an 11' hammock you have a ridgeline of 109"- 110". Your 12' tarp ridge line gives you 17" of coverage on either end of your hammock. That's great when it's really raining, but, you need to clear the ends of your tarp with your hammock suspension. That's a long way to go, especially when your hammock suspension is almost always higher on the tree than your tarp's ridgeline.

For my money, I'd be looking for a tarp with a shorter RL and longer/taller sides.

• + New Posts