Dutch 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Trail Haven Tarp
    Insulation
    JrB down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Is this a decent setup?

I ordered a Greylock 3, Shenandoah Quilt and snakeskins from Jacks R Better. I ordered The HUG Half Bug Net and 1" Suspension straps from Arrowhead Equipment, Grand Trunk Nano 7, Trail Haven Tarp from Simply Light Designs and I already have whoopie slings.
    Is this a decent setup? Am I missing anything? Thanks all

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    You lost me on the GT and the HUG.

Get a better hammock, from SLD, Dutch or BIAS or someone actually making them,

The HUG while a great idea, depends on pad or UQ for bottom protection and you're TQ to cover what the HUG doesn't. In all but the coldest weather I'm apt to kick my TQ off or around enough, the HUG just doesn't work for me. In warmer months I might not be using a TQ at all.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Trail Haven Tarp
    Insulation
    JrB down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Crap, well I can cancel the Grand Trunk Nano, and at it's price it looks like I can get a hammock and Fronkey style bugnet for only a little more.
    I guess I can email Arrowhead and ask them to cancel the HUG from my order. I was trying to save as many ounces as possible. Thanks for the suggestions. Being completely new I appreciate your feedback.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by gmorphis View Post
    Crap, well I can cancel the Grand Trunk Nano, and at it's price it looks like I can get a hammock and Fronkey style bugnet for only a little more.
    I guess I can email Arrowhead and ask them to cancel the HUG from my order. I was trying to save as many ounces as possible. Thanks for the suggestions. Being completely new I appreciate your feedback.
    I've used the hug plenty of times with great success. It all depends on the conditions you plan on using it for. Yes, you have to keep you legs under the top quilt so it may not work out the best in really hot weather but used under the right conditions it works out great. If you plan on needing a net for hotter climates with lots of bugs a Fronkey style net might better suit your needs. I personally have both and they both work great for their intended purpose. As long as you make your decision knowing what type of camping you will be doing you should be happy with either bug net. The HUG is light enough that I take it on some trips where I don't really expect many bugs at all just in case. In all reality though, the Fronkey style nets are only a couple of ounces more so it's pretty negligable.

I agree to ditch the Grand Trunk Nano and go with something else like one of the other brands mentioned above. It will be a more comfortable hammock at a better price. Good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    I just put a short review out on you tube about the Dutch Nylon D 1.6 oz 11ft hammock. For 35.00 you can't beat it. He just lowered his price and introduced 10.5 ft hammocks. Fronkey style bugnet will be good. Check the media section of this site if you are curious as to weights and specs/comfort of the Dutch offering.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    A lot of GT's, Eno, and even HH have a lot of models that run on the short and narrow side of comfort. Most will require the addy of a SRL, as well as a suspension switch out.

Once you add all that up, there are a lot of cottage offerings that make a lot more sense, price and function.

HUG is great for what it is. The ultimate in UL Bug Nets. I use SL hammocks and when I'd need the most protection, I might not even be using an UQ, so I need the the all around protection a HUG can't provide. Not it's fault. It's not designed to.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy S
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 0Burrow/Incubtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    A lot of GT's, Eno, and even HH have a lot of models that run on the short and narrow side of comfort. Most will require the addy of a SRL, as well as a suspension switch out.

Once you add all that up, there are a lot of cottage offerings that make a lot more sense, price and function.

HUG is great for what it is. The ultimate in UL Bug Nets. I use SL hammocks and when I'd need the most protection, I might not even be using an UQ, so I need the the all around protection a HUG can't provide. Not it's fault. It's not designed to.
    Why do ENO's and some others REQUIRE a change of suspension? I can understand that you might want to save an ounce or so but what is so bad about the suspension on my ENO DN? Seems to work well.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    ENO'S don't come with a suspension. They have some rope loops threaded through the end channels but that's not an actual suspension, it's a continuous loop. I have and still occasionally use ENO Atlas straps and they certainly work. In fact they are a great way to get people started. For the money, however, they are a lot heavier and more bulky than other options out there. Some people also don't like that they are only adjustable in 3-4" increments but I never found that to be a problem. Really it depends on your use. If car camping they are fine. If backpacking you may want to look at something else.

I find that amsteel is really fun to play with and I suspect no matter what people say, a lot of the reason for replacing stock parts is we naturally like to tinker and see how we can improve things. Even if it's only cosmetic or a savings of an ounce. Amsteel is lighter, less bulky and stronger than the rope provided though so that had something to do with it. That's just my opinion though.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Trail Haven Tarp
    Insulation
    JrB down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks guys, the Grand Trunk I had did have some kind of suspension. It was thick rope that holds it's shape if bent (reminds me of thick pipe cleaners - minus the fuzz). I swapped that out for Whoopie Slings, I agree, partially because I like to tinker. Also to save weigh, and it saves a bit. The GT I had also came with heavy carabiners. Don't need those anymore either. I'll wrote down the weigh savings but it's at home.
    I definitely am considering a Dutch hammock and the Fronkey bug net but they're out of stock on the 11' ones until the end of the week. I'll keep checking.
    What do you guys use for tarp guy lines? There's so many "Its" Zing It, Lash It, Dyneema, just paracord? Do you pre-cut a certain length for your tie outs? What length? And have you ever wished you hadn't cut them that long? I was thinking of getting 50' and cutting 4 12.5' lengths. But as light as it is, I could get 100' and have each length 25' just in case.

Thanks
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    On my guy lines I currently use lash it (same thing as zing it but in gray). I would also consider Lawson glowire. I started out with paracord but it stretches and your tarp won't be as taut over time, especially when wet so I can't recommend that. Plus the other options I mentioned are lighter anyway.

I personally keep 6 ft lengths on one side and 12 ft lengths on the other side of the tarp. This gives me plenty of cord for any typical setup. I use the 12 ft guy lines for porch mode. I'm actually considering cutting my lines a bit shorter so I have less line to deal with. Of course I always carry a few dog bones to extend things out if needed but I find it's pretty rare when i need to extend my guy lines. With 6 ft lines I can set my tarp up high enough that I can walk under it no problem and I'm 6'1". I would think 25 feet on each corner is beyond overkill personally but if it makes you feel more comfortable by all means go ahead.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast